joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well whatever your dafodils know, my cherry tree and my cleveland pear tree must know the same.

Cherry tree is blossoming.

If I owned an orchard, I'd worry about my peach and apple trees. Not because of early blooms, but because of late season cold. The longer that cold air stays up there, the more likely it is going to get unseasonably cold this spring.

......dying to hear how this turned out! :popcorn:

Good chance it involves a couch.

It's all good. The problem was with this young,cocky new Doc that joined their group last summer. Pam doesn't particularly care for him either so I pretty much got a pass. B) It also helped that I was a complete angel for the rest of the night, well, until about 2 when I wanted everyone gone. I started dropping some not so subtle hints !!! :gun_bandana:

It's all good. The problem was with this young,cocky new Doc that joined their group last summer. Pam doesn't particularly care for him either so I pretty much got a pass. B) It also helped that I was a complete angel for the rest of the night, well, until about 2 when I wanted everyone gone. I started dropping some not so subtle hints !!! :gun_bandana:

Love it! Wanna see some obs from you in the Jan 2-4 thread Joe. I know you are gonna get some snow but wanna see how cold you get up there too!

Daffodils are up. That can't be good. Either they know something I don't, or they won't be w/ us come spring.

I noticed the Carolina Jasmine (Jessamine for you plant folk) had blossoms on it. Not good. I tried for ages to get rid of it because of where it is then I gave that up and trained it onto an 8 foot 4x4. :) It made a great tree! :) It will actually never die, I'm sure of this. It is way too early for blooms, though.

Here it is last year. <3

post-491-0-52565000-1325462291.jpg

On my way back home from a friend's house, the police had the road blocked about 1/4 mile from my house. I had to turn around and make a big loop and approach my house from the opposite direction and I could see why the road was blocked. Someone's house had burned completely to the ground. I have no idea if anyone was inside -- I hope not -- but that is so sad to lose your house in a fire. Please keep those people in your thoughts and prayers. :(

On my way back home from a friend's house, the police had the road blocked about 1/4 mile from my house. I had to turn around and make a big loop and approach my house from the opposite direction and I could see why the road was blocked. Someone's house had burned completely to the ground. I have no idea if anyone was inside -- I hope not -- but that is so sad to lose your house in a fire. Please keep those people in your thoughts and prayers. :(

I have a friend who lost his house to fire recently too. He's staying with friends, plus his dog got ran over just days before. I feel really bad for folks like that who have terrible things happen , esp. in multiples.

Totally unrelated, I just watched a story on 60 minutes that made my feet and palms sweat. This guy climbing flat rock walls. Huge 2000 feet cliffs, with nothing but his hands and some chalk. Talk about feeling nervous, it made me dizzy just watching him and my feet literally sweat...if you get a chance to watch it later, its incredible to watch something like that.

Man i can't imagine losing everything like that (one of my greatest fears in life)...hope everyone is ok but dang right i'll say a special one tonight for them and hopefully they get someone to take them in for the meantime or red cross jumps in.

Very sad

I have a friend who lost his house to fire recently too. He's staying with friends, plus his dog got ran over just days before. I feel really bad for folks like that who have terrible things happen , esp. in multiples.

Totally unrelated, I just watched a story on 60 minutes that made my feet and palms sweat. This guy climbing flat rock walls. Huge 2000 feet cliffs, with nothing but his hands and some chalk. Talk about feeling nervous, it made me dizzy just watching him and my feet literally sweat...if you get a chance to watch it later, its incredible to watch something like that.

Yeah, that's the second time I've watched this story, and both times my palms were sweating too (even though I know he's not going to die on TV). My wife was laughing at me because of how affected my body was by just watching him climbing with no ropes. He is both insane and incredibly good at what he can do. No ropes. Wow!!

I had trouble putting the Christmas lights on the roof of my house though, and that was maybe a 30 degree incline. :D I have yet to take them down. I might just leave 'em up until next year.

I can't understand why anyone would ever do something like that, unless you have complete disregard for your life. I guess some people just don't care that much.

We caught a house fire on Christmas Eve (2:30 am). Family more or less lost everything except their lives. Just didn't seem right.

Man i can't imagine losing everything like that (one of my greatest fears in life)...hope everyone is ok but dang right i'll say a special one tonight for them and hopefully they get someone to take them in for the meantime or red cross jumps in.

Very sad

Thanks! I worry about that too, especially this time of year with all of the extra lights and the live tree and stuff like that. I take my tree down and after about 2 months, I burn it, along with some other brush. The speed and intensity at which Christmas trees burn up is just amazing. If that ever caught on fire in a house, there would be very little chance of saving anything.

Yeah, that's the second time I've watched this story, and both times my palms were sweating too (even though I know he's not going to die on TV). My wife was laughing at me because of how affected my body was by just watching him climbing with no ropes. He is both insane and incredibly good at what he can do. No ropes. Wow!!

I had trouble putting the Christmas lights on the roof of my house though, and that was maybe a 30 degree incline. :D I have yet to take them down. I might just leave 'em up until next year.

You're not alone on the lights, i keep saying i'll do it tomorrow when actually i dread with a passion getting on the roof again especially in the wind...hate it. And i saw that story advertised and refused to watch it, made me cringe bad!

Almost like the transmission tower climbers video that came out a couple years ago...i freaked out but loved it at the same time..please watch if u havent seen it

http://www.artifacting.com/blog/2010/09/15/climbing-a-1768-foot-transmission-tower/

Thanks! I worry about that too, especially this time of year with all of the extra lights and the live tree and stuff like that. I take my tree down and after about 2 months, I burn it, along with some other brush. The speed and intensity at which Christmas trees burn up is just amazing. If that ever caught on fire in a house, there would be very little chance of saving anything.

Honestly thats the sole reason i dont do a live tree anymore. I'm a captain on our fire team at work and we do monthly fire fighting training and yearly fire school with regular firemen and have the utmost respect for our under payed fire fighters!! We did a training session on fire safety for your homes and the dried out christmas tree is unreal at how quick it goes up. You'd be lucky to get out alive much less save anything!

You're not alone on the lights, i keep saying i'll do it tomorrow when actually i dread with a passion getting on the roof again especially in the wind...hate it. And i saw that story advertised and refused to watch it, made me cringe bad!

Almost like the transmission tower climbers video that came out a couple years ago...i freaked out but loved it at the same time..please watch if u havent seen it

http://www.artifacti...smission-tower/

OK, against my better judgement, I took a look. And again, my palms are just sweating watching it. I thought he was at the top when he got to the red part, and then I realized he had another 50 feet or so to climb on something that looked like an elongated pogo stick. That's another insane climb, and those guys just seemed to take it all in stride. To each his own, I guess. It's a wierd fascination that forces you to watch something that makes you cringe. I couldn't look away, though.

(Some people probably get sweaty palms and feel dizzy when they get a look at the math test I place in front of them, so I guess it's really no different if you look at it that way.)

OK, against my better judgement, I took a look. And again, my palms are just sweating watching it. I thought he was at the top when he got to the red part, and then I realized he had another 50 feet or so to climb on something that looked like an elongated pogo stick. That's another insane climb, and those guys just seemed to take it all in stride. To each his own, I guess. It's a wierd fascination that forces you to watch something that makes you cringe. I couldn't look away, though.

(Some people probably get sweaty palms and feel dizzy when they get a look at the math test I place in front of them, so I guess it's really no different if you look at it that way.)

Yea...I won't stay above the 7th or 8th floor in hotels or condos.....And get a little freaked out near the edge of the railing on the blaconies....When I was 16 my Spanish Club went to Paris....thought I would go see the top of the Eifel Tower....Man alive! Took one look at the cement blocks it was placed on and said "no way!" The top of the blocks were too high for me....Friends said in the top you were near the clouds....and it was swaying...... Yep! Went to Paris and didn't go up in the tower....and I could care less...no regrets!

We caught a house fire on Christmas Eve (2:30 am). Family more or less lost everything except their lives. Just didn't seem right.

Yeah, it's bad at anytime, but it seems so much worse around the holidays.

Honestly thats the sole reason i dont do a live tree anymore. I'm a captain on our fire team at work and we do monthly fire fighting training and yearly fire school with regular firemen and have the utmost respect for our under payed fire fighters!! We did a training session on fire safety for your homes and the dried out christmas tree is unreal at how quick it goes up. You'd be lucky to get out alive much less save anything!

And the intensity of the heat really struck me. God bless you guys for the work you do!

I'm beginning to think that changing my avatar to the snowflake that was used before the 2010 Christmas storm is working its magic. Ever since the change, we've been seeing interesting scenarios showing up for January all the sudden... :lol: Of course, it's a silly notion yet in some bizarre way it worked before (though Cold Rain starting that thread was enough mojo already) so who knows. Here's to more good mojo supplied haha.

http://www.artifacti...smission-tower/

That tower climb video gets me every time, I have to pause it twice to go pee. No way I could have his job.

Just heard from Rankin's wife and she appreciates the prayers and thoughts. She also said that he should be back, in rare form, very soon! Good to know and I thought I'd share.

So, I thought the next storm, should one actually materialize, ought to be named The Rankin Special. :D

Only if its a really good one :) Glad he is on the mend.

Just heard from Rankin's wife and she appreciates the prayers and thoughts. She also said that he should be back, in rare form, very soon! Good to know and I thought I'd share.

So, I thought the next storm, should one actually materialize, ought to be named The Rankin Special. :D

I agree Peach....The Raging Rankin! Or special would be cool

Thanks for posting this update Peach!

Jason has been around this part of the interwebs for a long time.

Archived