northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Actually I am finding this milder than usual period rather interesting. Where is the Greenland block?

Yeah, it has been very discouraging so far with the lack of snow, but it is kind of interesting as well. It's sort of an extreme in the opposite direction we want, but the fact that it is "extreme" is kind of cool I guess. Definitely makes you appreciate some of the snowier seasons many of us had had lately.

Probably time to stop looking at the extended range on the models. Give it 7-10 days away, come back to see if there's improvement. If not wash, rinse, repeat. Though soon enough it'll be Spring. :lol:

Easier said then done though.

Sound advice. I'm basically still here only because of the faint hope that Friday's storm nudges NW a bit. Once that fails, I'm going to take a solid week to ten days away from the board. This waiting and watching is becoming enervating.

I see some of the mets on the main forum are becoming slightly more impressed with the prospects of a SSW dislodging the PV southward. I figure that's going to take some time though. I doubt that when I get back early in the NY we're going to be into a changed pattern, but hopefully we'll be able to see it in the extended range models.

18z GFS dumps an inch on Madison overnight, much better than previous runs.

Yeah, the latest New RUC run dumps 1-2" north and west of Milwaukee, and just north of Madison. Of course, once again, we are right on the edge of the accumulation, probably going to get just screwed out of yet another light snowfall. Sick and tired of being on the edge and just missing out on excitement.

Looks like a window of opportunity for some light lake effect precip in northwest IN (possibly eastern Cook county IL?) early Friday. Setup is marginal with lake-850 mb delta T no better than the mid teens but anything is worth mentioning in this pattern.

Definitely worth mentioning in this horrible pattern! Probably the only chance the area has for snow in the next week.

Today was about the fluctuations between drizzle and light rain and the different shades of gray in the clouds! I've tallied 191 mostly cloudy to cloudy days this year!

Chicago may have broken into 2nd wettest year on record today. 1st is 2008: 50.86", 2nd is/was: 1983: 49.35", 3rd is/was 2011: 49.26".

Sound advice. I'm basically still here only because of the faint hope that Friday's storm nudges NW a bit. Once that fails, I'm going to take a solid week to ten days away from the board. This waiting and watching is becoming enervating.

I see some of the mets on the main forum are becoming slightly more impressed with the prospects of a SSW dislodging the PV southward. I figure that's going to take some time though. I doubt that when I get back early in the NY we're going to be into a changed pattern, but hopefully we'll be able to see it in the extended range models.

The SSW stuff is a little over my head, but interesting. At this point, I fully expect to not have much if any improvement of my season snowfall through January 10-15. Sounds goofy, but probably realistic. In the meantime, just laugh at how awful and sustained this pattern has been.

Yeah, the latest New RUC run dumps 1-2" north and west of Milwaukee, and just north of Madison. Of course, once again, we are right on the edge of the accumulation, probably going to get just screwed out of yet another light snowfall. Sick and tired of being on the edge and just missing out on excitement.

Hopefully it'll shift a little and you'll get an accumulation, as long as I still get mine :P

Clouds and maybe precip breaking out in IA now, HRRR shows it spreading into WI in the next few hours.

Hopefully it'll shift a little and you'll get an accumulation, as long as I still get mine :P

Clouds and maybe precip breaking out in IA now, HRRR shows it spreading into WI in the next few hours.

I think temps are still the big problem, the lake remains a factor and will until/if we get an arctic outbreak probably.

That topic in the climate change forum, "Arctic Sea...free by 2015"...really p!sses me off. The guy claiming the Arctic to be "ice free" by 2015, is nonsense. There many variables you have to analyze before reaching to such a conclusion. Its da same bs every year, since 2007.

Anyways, is anyone going to create a topic for January? I'm probably going to analayze January more carefully this weekend, should have a post on it next Tuesday.

Otherwise, December 2011 sucks balls.

That topic in the climate change forum, "Arctic Sea...free by 2015"...really p!sses me off. The guy claiming the Arctic to be "ice free" by 2015, is nonsense. There many variables you have to analyze before reaching to such a conclusion. Its da same bs every year, since 2007.

Anyways, is anyone going to create a topic for January? I'm probably going to analayze January more carefully this weekend, should have a post on it next Tuesday.

Otherwise, December 2011 sucks balls.

Those guys have funding riding on global warming being real. They get offended very similarly to a union buster showing up at a UAW meeting when you show doubt on that board.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

I think temps are still the big problem, the lake remains a factor and will until/if we get an arctic outbreak probably.

I am hoping for some lake effect tomorrow night. Probably take a miracle to have it accumulate though!

Temperature finally falling back to freezing. Has been above freezing almost 4 days here!

Joe..I have nothing but respect for you but I guess in a way he is right (snowfreak) because everyone is different and has different expectations.

Hes always trolling....but really. Ask a skiier, snowborder, any winter sports enthusiast or hell, a snow-loving kid who likes to play in the snow every day. Do you care about how much snow officially falls from November through April or do you just care about how often/how much snow is on the ground so you can do your thing? Gee, I wonder what the answer will be :lol:

In fact Ill call it now...we will have above average snowfall but below average snowcover when the season wraps up (Average snowfall is 42.7" and 1"+ snowcover is 49 days) :gun_bandana:

Hes always trolling....but really. Ask a skiier, snowborder, any winter sports enthusiast or hell, a snow-loving kid who likes to play in the snow every day. Do you care about how much snow officially falls from November through April or do you just care about how often/how much snow is on the ground so you can do your thing? Gee, I wonder what the answer will be :lol:

In fact Ill call it now...we will have above average snowfall but below average snowcover when the season wraps up (Average snowfall is 42.7" and 1"+ snowcover is 49 days) :gun_bandana:

in order to to be a winter/snow lover you don't have to enjoy snowcover. many are just in it for other things such as the actual tracking/forecasting and the actual event.

in order to to be a winter/snow lover you don't have to enjoy snowcover. many are just in it for other things such as the actual tracking/forecasting and the actual event.

That still doesn't mean you're right if you say that all one cares about is if snowfall is above average. That is what you were saying.

Edit: I don't disagree with your statement above, was referring to a discussion from earlier. In fact, I am one of those who enjoys tracking rather than snowcover. However, if I get a great storm or two, I can deal with being below average for the season.

All I care about is tracking exciting weather, snow/ice/severe give me one of the 3. I don't care which one. I am not a numbers man hell if we got 25" of snow but 20 of it came in one monumental blizzard I would be a happy man. The only numbers I would care about are records. I think when it boils down, most are like this. Not saying numbers don't matter either its just that most care more about exciting weather.

.UPDATE...

THE ELEVATED FRONTOGENETIC SNOW BAND IS BEGINNING TO DEVELOP AND PUSH

INTO SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN AT MID EVENING. THIS FORCING IS BASED

AROUND 700MB IS BECOMES VERY FOCUSED AROUND 09Z IN A NARROW BAND

RUNNING FROM THE MILWAUKEE/PORT WASHINGTON AREA BACK WEST SOUTHWEST

TO THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. THERE/S ALSO A NARROW 1.5PV ANOMALY BAND

THAT SWINGS UP AT THE SAME TIME. THIS MOSTLY OCCURS BEHIND AN

EXITING SFC TROF/CDFNT THIS EVENING. THE PV AND FRONTOGENETIC FORCING

THEN QUICKLY DISSIPATE BY MID MORNING ON THURSDAY.

ISENTROPICALLY... THERE IS A SIMILAR NARROW BAND OF VERY LOW

CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITS THAT DEVELOPS OVER SOUTHERN

WISCONSIN WITH 2 TO 3 G/KG OF MOISTURE AVAILABLE. SO...EXPECT

GRADUALLY LOWERING CIGS AS THE COLUMN SATURATES FROM LATE EVENING

INTO THE EARLY MORNING HOURS. SNOW WILL BEGIN REACHING THE GROUND

AND WE COULD SEE SOME POCKETS OF LOWER VSBYS IN THE 1 TO 3 MILE

RANGE AFTER MIDNIGHT. WOULDN/T BE SURPRISED TO SEE A FEW 2 INCH

SNOW ACCUMS IN THE END...BUT MOST PLACES UNDER THE BAND WILL SEE

AN INCH OF SNOW. AREAS ACROSS THE NORTHERN CWA WILL LIKELY MISS

OUT ON MUCH OF THE SNOW...SAME WITH THE FAR SOUTHEAST AND SOUTH.

AGAIN...THIS SNOW BAND WILL BE NARROW AND FOCUSED.

Quote button is not working, but worth noting the potential isolated 2 inch amounts in this boring pattern.

Light freezing rain being reported just to the west of Madison in the Wisconsin River Valley. Disappointing, but this thing is gonna leave in the morning so there is plenty of time for it to evolve into snow. Temperatures are forecast to drop tonight, which will be aided by evaporational cooling until the column reaches saturation. Low-levels are already saturated, but there is clearly some mid-level dry air since there's alot of virga, so that cool air will be mixed down.

Even freezing rain could be interesting on a night like tonight, since temperatures are going to drop. We could end up with a sheet of ice.

Needless to say, I'm staying up for this one.

Archived