amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That band of snow looks promising up your way for up to an inch. The SPS states as much. Indications are it will weaken as it heads toward Lake Michigan (what a shocker :whistle: ), but a dusting to a half inch would still be nice if the temps could stay below freezing.

I'm on Lake Michigan for Christmas in Racine, hoping for some evening time snow.

Probably a cold rain for you by the lake lol :underthewx: j/k. Still, I'm thinking temps may still be an issue; they recovered here from lows in the upper teens pretty quickly.

Offshore winds today, so anyone along the lake is safe from lake warming. If the clouds can stay in place that will put a lid on temperatures.

This little snow system will be interesting to watch. La Crosse is getting it good right now!

Quite a major change for the GFS for the Tues system. Follows the Euro by holding back the southern stream energy and keeps it further north. It takes on a slightly neg tilt and slightly phases with the northern stream leading to an area of light snowfall across the GL/OV.

Put the canadian in that company too. Has a good 12 hours of light to moderate snow.

Offshore winds today, so anyone along the lake is safe from lake warming. If the clouds can stay in place that will put a lid on temperatures.

This little snow system will be interesting to watch. La Crosse is getting it good right now!

I think you're right now since it has just clouded up with a temp of 31.5 F.

Our 1/2 inch or less of snow that fell this morning has quickly melted under clear skies and 37 degrees now. With the upcoming warm forecast, we've got several days where the forecast low is right around our average high temperature for this time of year(25). Many fisherman have been rescued off the ice of Mille Lacs Lake over the past week. While much of the lake is ice-covered(8 inches thick), there are large open spots. Over the weekend the strong north wind blew the ice, had been connected to the north shore, a couple hundred yards from shore leaving a couple dozen fisherman to be rescued. We'll see if this stretch of south wind will have the opposite effect. Definitely no vehicles on some of the larger lakes yet.

Statement from MKX

"LOOK FOR A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW TO PUSH ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN THIS AFTERNOON AND EXIT THE FAR SOUTHEAST EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS BAND OF SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO 1/2 TO 1 MILE...AND MAY CAUSE SOME SLIPPERY DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR THE AFTERNOON COMMUTE OVER SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN AND BY EARLY EVENING IN THE MILWAUKEE...RACINE AND KENOSHA AREAS."

This light snow is heading further south then I expected to see. 31° at the house, so whatever manages to fall it will stick. A lot of upper 20s across southern WI.

Statement from MKX

"LOOK FOR A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW TO PUSH ACROSS SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN THIS AFTERNOON AND EXIT THE FAR SOUTHEAST EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS BAND OF SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO 1/2 TO 1 MILE...AND MAY CAUSE SOME SLIPPERY DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR THE AFTERNOON COMMUTE OVER SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN AND BY EARLY EVENING IN THE MILWAUKEE...RACINE AND KENOSHA AREAS."

This light snow is heading further south then I expected to see. 31° at the house, so whatever manages to fall it will stick.

Wooo they mentioned Racine. I see light snow has begun in Madison.

Statement from MKX

This light snow is heading further south then I expected to see. 31° at the house, so whatever manages to fall it will stick. A lot of upper 20s across southern WI.

Lol LOT doesn't even have flurries in the point and click forecasts..

The little wave is looking nice for a at least a coating here..

It's definitely snow through 84.

gonna have to wait for the sounding data but looks like the GFS is in pretty close agreement, it's a LITTLE bit south, however it is a bit warmer than the NAM, Wow and I can't believe I'm actually analyzing the 18z model runs in detail like that... anyway keeping the system there is a good sign right now..

Archived