• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

Too bad we have zero blocking. Otherwise, we'd be talking about snow for next week. Alas, it'll likely be showers and 50F.

Yeah definitely heading to seasonal though which will be nice. I mean I'm all for this nice stretch we've had but it's outlived it's usefulness. Ski resorts need cold as dollars are melting away, I want to skate on the ponds and I'm tired of killing moths.

Only out to 12/4 on my screen, little pulse coming across the high plains and something stirring in the gulf but that cold air...keeps peaking down in some runs only to vanish and get pushed off into latter days on the runs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at the shortwave taking the express down the ridge on the west coast at 162 hours.

http://www.meteo.psu...AVN_0z/f162.gif

That's a guy on a mission right there :lol:

This run should be interesting. We have the leading edge of the trough reaching New England before the couple of disturbances out west, which means we get into the cold air, with ridging shoved southeast, before these shortwaves can pump it all up into the Northeast.

.... there are no changes with respect to the impressiveness of the cold. If anything the 00z GFS is looking much better than the runs earlier today

Through the realm of reasonable - about 12/5 it's not what I'd call impressive or cold. It's warmer than the last run at 12z.

The threat in the 12/6-12/8 is still very real however and we'll need to make that pay off as the 12/3 is out the window it seems.

Through the realm of reasonable - about 12/5 it's not what I'd call impressive or cold. It's warmer than the last run at 12z.

The threat in the 12/6-12/8 is still very real however and we'll need to make that pay off as the 12/3 is out the window it seems.

:lol: show me one post where someone was calling for impressive cold prior to 12/5

You knew the model was only out until 12/5...what'd you think we were talking about January? :snowman:

This looks nice, but the cold shot is still going to be transient. To be honest I don't care, I think that's the way most of the winter is going to be...

gfs_namer_186_500_vort_ht.gif

GFS looks good through day 9. This run is so close to produce something for us.

You knew the model was only out until 12/5...what'd you think we were talking about January? :snowman:

This looks nice, but the cold shot is still going to be transient. To be honest I don't care, I think that's the way most of the winter is going to be...

I had no idea what you were talking about lol. That's why the "..."

I'm looking at the medium term -- everything is past day 7, but it's there, and looking good

I had no idea what you were talking about lol. That's why the "..."

I'm looking at the medium term -- everything is past day 7, but it's there, and looking good

:)

Part of this is that we have the cold misers that were telling us it was going to be below normal this week/end of the week. That's all I was saying...remember not long ago the GFS had a pretty good cold shot coming down in a few days (roughly) that's gradually gotten less impressive.

I think with this particular model we're seeing the first solid signs at 0z that it's grasping the gradient pattern with some opportunities. Amazing to watch how fast the cold air blows out each time - we haven't seen that in 3 years with all the blocking.

Op GFS is a heaping pile of dung in the LR.. quickly breaks down the PNA and EPO ridge. Even worse than the op runs earlier.

Good thing the ensembles haven't supported it all day. Hopefully the ensembles keep holding onto that ridging.

And wxforecaster was all over me :)

I think part of it is I don't really care and have no vested position in this. I'll look forward to two dinners on weatherfella's dime in January though. I think we should take cues from Will and some others that have said little but when they do it's on point which is enjoy the nice weather. I think after the 12/6-12-8 threat we moderate again, then we have the storm I was talking about wanting to be in MI or WI for, then maybe we see the front slide enough east that we have some type of shot towards the 13-16th but honestly that's 2-3 weeks away and if I had to bet, those threats end warm too.

Boston is 55 degrees at 1150pm on 11/27.

I would argue that the initial pattern change is the abilIty to wax and wane on the AK low and ridge placement. Where it goes from there is in question. If the vortex comes back and sits for weeks th ts a bad sign. But conversely, the deck chairs globally may be surf ing and we could have a very favorable winter pattern by 12/25.

I would argue that the initial pattern change is the abilIty to wax and wane on the AK low and ridge placement. Where it goes from there is in question. If the vortex comes back and sits for weeks th ts a bad sign. But conversely, the deck chairs globally may be surf ing and we could have a very favorable winter pattern by 12/25.

Only snowballs we'll be seeing around here will be on a tray.

tray-of-white-chestnut-candies.jpg

Beyond that some real nice cold air coming down, should setup the western lakes nicely.

00zgfsensemble850mbTSLPNA108.gif

Yes. This is a nice run but low confidence.

Honestly I still wouldn't call it nice but that's just me. I see the cold air is already blunted after about D13 which has been advertised by most of the models. By 12/13 - and it looks like there's some opportunity just prior to that date. OP and ENS both are hinting at something around 11-12th that might be colder.....we're screwed again after that. Questions is just for how long. Hopefully the periods are shortening and it's a few days cold, few days warm, and hopefully we can cash in. EDIT: on closer look I think the GFS ENS at the ridiculous range is ugly. But again...JMHO

Again JMHO. My views are my own personal opinions and do not reflect the views of Heat Miser

Honestly I still wouldn't call it nice but that's just me. I see the cold air is already blunted after about D13 which has been advertised by most of the models. By 12/13 - and it looks like there's some opportunity just prior to that date. OP and ENS both are hinting at something around 11-12th that might be colder.....we're screwed again after that. Questions is just for how long. Hopefully the periods are shortening and it's a few days cold, few days warm, and hopefully we can cash in. EDIT: on closer look I think the GFS ENS at the ridiculous range is ugly. But again...JMHO

Again JMHO. My views are my own personal opinions and do not reflect the views of Heat Miser ™

We should all just find a new hobby because it doesn't look to snow again for a couple of months.

Archived