CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the models really dive the energy south and develop a coastal at that time.

I'm pretty confident that there will be a major storm somewhere east of the Rockies around that time. A lot of energy pouring over the top of the ridge ... originating from north of the Arctic circle ... and diving into the CONUS.

First part of the cold shot may be taking a toaster bath in favor for a more pronounced secondary push.

First part was aways middoing. Same thing happened after 12/4/60. We had several days of M40s. The hammer dropped 12/12 but nvember and early December were out and out torches. Te question is when does a hugely above normal regime snap to the opposite. Hopefully not April!

to be fair, I can't see the euro ensembles past day 10...just posting what I saw from the GFS ensembles.

I'm not sure what the global bias is of the GEFS, but they seem to always be the coldest on the east coast past D10. Euro ensembles are coldish after D10 too but they don't look as cold as the GEFS.

So which is which?

GEFS and OP Euro tend to have the same score past D7 roughly...and the GEFS actually does better than the OP Euro i think around D 9/10.

Will here's the link to be honest not sure but I'm guessing our GEFS is the worst control?

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/GEFS/verif.php

You understand these things far better than me, I was just looking for a GEFS verification and found that.

Yeah kind of blows that it's only out to D6. But still cool to look at because let's face it....it shows the Euro is better at D6 and we know it's likely better at D10+ just from observation.

GFS did toaster bath it's initial days of cold shots. At least another week of this with a short return to near normal. Not going to be quite as torchy but still we may hear some chairs tipping next week.

12zgfs850mbTSLPNA180.gif

And I don't know of any other site that does that off hand, either. I wish I knew. I was just comparing the EC ensembles to the GEFS.

There was a link to a site a couple winters ago that had out to D10 or something. I wish I had it bookmarked. It showed the GEFS starts outperforming the OP Euro around D7-D8, but the Euro ensembles are still king D7-10.

18dad8de-b899-33a2.jpg

Yeah kind of blows that it's only out to D6. But still cool to look at because let's face it....it shows the Euro is better at D6 and we know it's likely better at D10+ just from observation.

GFS did toaster bath it's initial days of cold shots. At least another week of this with a short return to near normal. Not going to be quite as torchy but still we may hear some chairs tipping next week.

12zgfs850mbTSLPNA180.gif

18dad8de-b8b1-26ad.jpg

Those who fail to learn history re doomed to repeat it...

The GFS is so slow to move that front through early next week ...maybe we can pull off some anafrontal action.

I was just checking out the pattern in November 2001 because I saw the anomalies in Northeast locations were similar...it's pretty incredible how very different hemispheric patterns can deliver similar anomalies. The midwest and northern plains were much warmer in Nov. 2001 however.

There was a link to a site a couple winters ago that had out to D10 or something. I wish I had it bookmarked. It showed the GEFS starts outperforming the OP Euro around D7-D8, but the Euro ensembles are still king D7-10.

I feel like there is so much stuff in that EMC model verification page. I bet there is something in there like that. Just have to fish around.

In 1960... The cold and blizzard came but the pattern relaxed during the holidays before reloading in January. The rubber band snapped back mild after the February bomb.

It's the GFS though...so little chance of those maps verifying close to that.

GFS starting to spit out some fantasies late run. Odd pattern, high has displaced way to the west this run.

In 1960... The cold and blizzard came but the pattern relaxed during the holidays before reloading in January. The rubber band snapped back mild after the February bomb.

Jerry..starting to get worried, really worried..need to see some signs in the next 10 days.say by Dec 10th or I have my doubts about at least the first part of the winter

Archived