joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We will never again witness...

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More rare than the 1938 Long Island Express. Worcester Tornado, Blizzard of '78, Perfect Storm of 1991, April Fool Storm 1997?

Before this year I would say the ORH tornado was more rare, but I dunno...

It's close to the Worcester tornado. The fact that it occurred in late October makes it a little more competitive with the ORH tornado.

oct 11 = may 77?

ORH tornado might be more anomalous?

'38 hurricane might be slightly less rare?

icestorm in 1921? from what I've read it might still be the benchmark over the icetorm in 08, and over a larger area.

1911 heatwave?

4/97, 2/78 , 12/92, blizzard of 1888 are all around a similiar level but this past event is probably even rarer which is mind boggling

The storm we just had may be a once in lifetime type deal. If it was in early October no doubt but still that storm was crazy. Some of will see another strong tornado in the next 50 to 60 years. We still have not had a land falling Hurricane. But the fact the Peru mass, got something like 30 inches! That may not happen in October ever!

The storm we just had may be a once in lifetime type deal. If it was in early October no doubt but still that storm was crazy. Some of will see another strong tornado in the next 50 to 60 years. We still have not had a land falling Hurricane. But the fact the Peru mass, got something like 30 inches! That may not happen in October ever!

I'm not so sure I agree with this. Not to be contrary but in 1987 there was big badass coastal storm with lots of cold air form the Berks west... Elevated areas of eastern NY got 20-30" and as much as a foot over much of the Berks... That storm was just a little tucked in too close to the coast else it may have realized white farther east as well.

That doesn't diminish the impact of this one, but it is to point out that since that areas is essentially in the same Meteorological domain as us it should at least be considered that 2 of them happened in our life times - unless you are only 23years old :lol: that is...

I'm not so sure I agree with this. Not to be contrary but in 1987 there was big badass coastal storm with lots of cold air form the Berks west... Elevated areas of eastern NY got 20-30" and as much as a foot over much of the Berks... That storm was just a little tucked in too close to the coast else it may have realized white farther east as well.

That doesn't diminish the impact of this one, but it is to point out that since that areas is essentially in the same Meteorological domain as us it should at least be considered that 2 of them happened in our life times - unless you are only 23years old :lol: that is...

Making this one a once in a lifetime storm. We will have to have this discussion in another 25 yrs to find out who is right.....I'm still going with the Worcester tornado.

Now way would I put major october coastal storm as a "never repeated again" event. Yes it was huge, but the factors that lead to it aren't that rare. In 2005, 2007, 2010 and now 2011 there were major coastal nor'easters that dropped more than 2 feet of snow in the northeast. So no...I'm not saying a major coastal nor'easter is not happening in my lifetime.

I'd be more inclined to lean towards some flooding event...like the Lake Champlain flood this spring. Irene doesn't count because Floyd did almost the same thing in 1999 - just in NY and not so much VT.

that is a stretch in logic. 495 to ORH-KFIT getting whack'd with 8-18 (respectfully) as well as BDL, Concord seeing 20 plus (at low elevation) of snow in OCT was a once in a ife time event. i am saying it is a stretch to throw in ..."essentially same meteoroligical domain" when comparing areas that are 2k and 200'. so while i see your point ...it is a stretch

I violently disagree how anyone can say that it is comparable to other October events. This impacted VA-ME with serious societal impacts. I'm not talking about some remote hilltop in the Catskills or Monadknocks...I mean major metropolitan areas from the suburbs of DC to PWM. This is a case closed issue. Period. This was practically a megalopolis storm that put 3 million people in the dark.

I violently disagree how anyone can say that it is comparable to other October events. This impacted VA-ME with serious societal impacts. I'm not talking about some remote hilltop in the Catskills or Monadknocks...I mean major metropolitan areas from the suburbs of DC to PWM. This is a case closed issue. Period. This was practically a megalopolis storm that put 3 million people in the dark.

yeah it's kinda silly to say an october noreaster that snows on northern new england is the same thing. im also not sure how you compare a tornado randomly hitting a city to this either. we've seen a lot of odd weather the last decade or so but this is perhaps the oddest for where it hit and how strongly it did so.

yeah it's kinda silly to say an october noreaster that snows on northern new england is the same thing. im also not sure how you compare a tornado randomly hitting a city to this either. we've seen a lot of odd weather the last decade or so but this is perhaps the oddest for where it hit and how strongly it did so.

You got measurable right Ian?

This won't be repeated again for many years perhaps a hundred or more. Nothing in October has come close to this in terms of widespread impact from VA to ME. Nothing.

i'm sure someone could dig and find it...i'd like to know how far forward you have to go into the calendar to get something that is really comparable...i'd assume a couple of weeks at least.

problem is, the deeper you go into the season, the less the event will resemble what we just saw from both a meteorological standpoint and an infrastructure / landscape impact standpoint.

and like you just said...this event wasn't just SNE...it snowed from the mid-atlantic on up. and it snowed - and stuck - right to the shoreline of parts of the tri-state areas which is ridiculous.

with violence.

i'm sure someone could dig and find it...i'd like to know how far forward you have to go into the calendar to get something that is really comparable...i'd assume a couple of weeks at least.

problem is, the deeper you go into the season, the less the event will resemble what we just saw from both a meteorological standpoint and an infrastructure / landscape impact standpoint.

and like you just said...this event wasn't just SNE...it snowed from the mid-atlantic on up. and it snowed - and stuck - right to the shoreline of parts of the tri-state areas which is ridiculous.

Maybe 11/11/87?

Even then, not quite close

Maybe to someone who is not a meteorologist, the brevity of it doesn't seem all that impressive, but take a step back and try to wrap your head around what we just saw. I don't even have words to describe it.

You got measurable right Ian?

barely.. 1/4" or so. but it was all snow for about 2.5 hrs with a mini blitz at the end for about 45 min.

i mean, we only have to go another 2 weeks down here to the veterans day storm that dropped about a foot so fall can have some tricks up its sleeve on the east coast, but the totals and how widespread this was is pretty unheard of.

My thread and I will compare it to what I want

jk

A very bizzare creature

Maybe to someone who is not a meteorologist, the brevity of it doesn't seem all that impressive, but take a step back and try to wrap your head around what we just saw. I don't even have words to describe it.

Even out here where we got clobbered, it happened very quickly. Less than 12 hours to get 20+" of snow? Ridiculous rates for a long time

How long did 4/1/97 snow for?

barely.. 1/4" or so. but it was all snow for about 2.5 hrs with a mini blitz at the end for about 45 min.

i mean, we only have to go another 2 weeks down here to the veterans day storm that dropped about a foot so fall can have some tricks up its sleeve on the east coast, but the totals and how widespread this was is pretty unheard of.

Climo starts to exponentially increase the odds of snow closer to the coast after the first and second week of November. The Veteran's Day storm which I actually remember was really anomalous for se mass. You won't see something like that for cstl pym county for a long long time. But, this storm was another dimension in terms of the calendar date and size of impacts.

yeah that's the part that is just unreal. i'm never really surprised when it snows at 2K in the berks or S VT or the catskills or something. it could do it in august and i'd be only kinda surprised. LOL.

but seeing snow atthe beaches this time of year, and significant, mid-winter-worthy, totals just a few miles back, is unreal. this is a probably what a 2 or 3 on the NESIS scale?? LOL.

I didn't do much better near the water. But go about 5 miles west, and they still had snowcover yesterday.

My thread and I will compare it to what I want

jk

A very bizzare creature

Well not that it's not notable but you can theoretically get a damaging tornado just about any time of the year. And if it mowed down a bunch of trees it probably wouldn't even be considered IMO.

Archived