joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We will never again witness...

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If wikipedia is to be believed, the number without power for the 1998 ice storm exceeded 4 million. It also notes that ~700,000 of Maine's 1.2 million residents were without power.

I think wiki understated it. A short look on Google found a Canadian website that put their power outages at 4.5 million, and another site had the NY/NNE total at 1.07 million. 4 million or 5, it was quite the event. I'd guess the total outages for this weekend came to 7 figures; I think Irene did, also.

IMO, this event was historic. If one goes back to the beginning of the 19th century, one finds only two events that might compete, though I think they fall short:

11/1-2/1810: 3" Alexandria, VA, 8" NYC, 6" Boston

10/26/1859: Coating in Philadelphia, 3" in Newark, and 4" in NYC.

Don, do you still have the page on your site that has snow history by date? I.e....Dec 7, 1996 - 26" of snow fell in Worcester.

I can't seem to find it, but not sure you still had that page.

IMO, this event was historic. If one goes back to the beginning of the 19th century, one finds only two events that might compete, though I think they fall short:

I forgot about this storm because it was the first day or two of November and not technically October. But that is very impressive. I really wonder how the interior did like from an ORH-HPN-MMU-ABE-IAD line.

Curious what you guys think. Which was rarer, this storm or the May 1979 snowstorm in the Boston suburbs? That storm covered a much smaller area. I think it was May 7th or 8th 1979? My folks lived in Wayland, 17 miles inland from the coast and they said they got 7".

It was May 9-10, 1977. They are very close, but I think this one is rarer just based on some surrounding type storms. I couldn't give you a perfectly statistically accurate answer....but my guess is this type of storm we just saw was harder to get than the May '77 storm though both are extremely rare.

Yes and November 1987 and November 1953 have competing events If you include the next two weeks.

October 1993 and October 2005 were much further inland.

More historic... this storm or March 1993?

Historic: March 1993. What other event produced major impact Florida (or even Cuba) to Maine, western Apps to the coast?

Anomalous: Probably this one. In 3/93 some southern stations received more snow in one event than they had ever gotten in any whole winter, and that in mid-month when buds are opening on trees and flowers are blooming there. As already noted, this storm gave most SNE (and MA from MD north) stations more snow than in all the Octobers of record, combined.

This is a good storm to exemplify why you generally shouldn't be a debbie downer on the NW side of a bombing coastal where most of the region will be under the best ML frontogenesis. There were some minor dry slot issues in areas like SE CT and NE MA, but on the whole, it was a huge over performer which can happen in this type of setup. Even Ryan was pretty excited 48h out for HFD...that's rare, lol.

This is a good storm to exemplify why you generally shouldn't be a debbie downer on the NW side of a bombing coastal where most of the region will be under the best ML frontogenesis. There were some minor dry slot issues in areas like SE CT and NE MA, but on the whole, it was a huge over performer which can happen in this type of setup. Even Ryan was pretty excited 48h out for HFD...that's rare, lol.

DID

HE (or she)

APOLOGIZE?

I did find that funny at the time

I vote March 1993 overall,

But Oct 30, 2011 was a weird freak thing. One of those dates we will remember

I mentioned this earlier.... I look at the 10/29 storm as apart of its own 1-day season almost. With this break from winter in November, I still look at winter as not even starting yet. Its just a weird feeling right now. It was a 1 week drunken stupor that got real hazy during the last "party" on saturday

I got this feeling that we're gonna get couple more bombs this winter like last year.

:thumbsup: You da man!

Is power back on in Chelmsford?

Well you should have heard the calls after 2/10/10, lol...those were not pleasant.

Power is back at Megan's as of this evening finally. But I'm sure the whole town is not back on yet. But it was like 90% out yesterday, so its definitely improving. ORH had 22,000 homes without power yesterday and it looks like its down to about 5,000 or 6,000 now, so things are def getting better.

We'll never see something like this in October again. Its amazing driving around seeing tall snow banks like in winter and snow cover but with still some trees having leaves and branches with leaves on them down.

Well you should have heard the calls after 2/10/10, lol...those were not pleasant.

Power is back at Megan's as of this evening finally. But I'm sure the whole town is not back on yet. But it was like 90% out yesterday, so its definitely improving. ORH had 22,000 homes without power yesterday and it looks like its down to about 5,000 or 6,000 now, so things are def getting better.

We'll never see something like this in October again. Its amazing driving around seeing tall snow banks like in winter and snow cover but with still some trees having leaves and branches with leaves on them down.

I keep reminding my wife/kids of the uniqueness of this event.

Leominster is mostly back up and running. I can finally get back to work

Don, do you still have the page on your site that has snow history by date? I.e....Dec 7, 1996 - 26" of snow fell in Worcester.

I can't seem to find it, but not sure you still had that page.

That page was on a geocities site. Unfortunately, geocities deleted it before I had a chance to migrate it to my current host.

I forgot about this storm because it was the first day or two of November and not technically October. But that is very impressive. I really wonder how the interior did like from an ORH-HPN-MMU-ABE-IAD line.

This storm was more impressive for interior sections. The 1810 event was likely brought its heaviest snows to coastal areas, as there was a report of 6" at Hartford.

That page was on a geocities site. Unfortunately, geocities deleted it before I had a chance to migrate it to my current host.

Bummer Don, I loved that page. It had some great info on older storms...esp pre-records. Hopefully you still have some data where you can reconstruct that part of the digital snow museum in least a partial manner. I'd certainly try to help if I could. I love snow history.

That was really fun to read...esp the early and late season events. They were quite valuable in trying to set historical precedent. Thank you for everything you do there, it has always been one of my favorite pages. I remember reading it even before you ever saw me post on the forums.

Lol not as excited about still being in the dark and sleeping in the freezing cold!!! But yeah as of friday early am or Thursday night it was clear this would be historic.

My co-worker got called more or less a kook the day before the storm for terminals like BDL and MDT. Nobody wanted to believe what might happen. Usually we are bombarded with conference calls, but nobody really called until 24 hrs beforehand...as if they didn't believe it was possible. I briefly handled an overload call and was told I better be dam well certain. Well I felt like emailing a big AWT to the guy...lol.

My co-worker got called more or less a kook the day before the storm for terminals like BDL and MDT. Nobody wanted to believe what might happen. Usually we are bombarded with conference calls, but nobody really called until 24 hrs beforehand...as if they didn't believe it was possible. I briefly handled on overload call and was told I better be dam well certain. Well I felt like emailing a big AWT to the guy...lol.

LOL you should have he wouldn't have known what you were talking about.

LOL you should have he wouldn't have known what you were talking about.

AWT FTW. :lol:

That storm threw some curve balls though down by NYC when the dryslot came and they flipped back to a mix. It was one of those storms where I wish I was right there doing terminals, but at the same time..it was good not to have to worry about it. I gave my advice, but I had other stuff to do other than some overload stuff.

Bummer Don, I loved that page. It had some great info on older storms...esp pre-records. Hopefully you still have some data where you can reconstruct that part of the digital snow museum in least a partial manner. I'd certainly try to help if I could. I love snow history.

That was really fun to read...esp the early and late season events. They were quite valuable in trying to set historical precedent. Thank you for everything you do there, it has always been one of my favorite pages. I remember reading it even before you ever saw me post on the forums.

Thanks Will.

I did compile and post my notes on 19th century storms (including early-season/late-season events) at: http://free.yudu.com/item/details/194534/Notable-Eastern-U.S.-Snowstorms-of-the-19th-Century

Do you think it over-performed or was it actually well modeled? I think it played out as modeled with 1-2+ inches of QPF in a snow column...we just didn't know whether to believe the models or not lol.

Or do you mean just over performing for the time of year and sheer ridiculousness of the storm?

Archived