• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

That man-made snow is pretty durable... lasts a lot longer than natural. Stowe's now got a top-to-bottom white ribbon from snowmaking... Sunday looks warm but then 24 hour snowmaking returns Sunday night through Thanksgiving at least.

Plus the flurry parade continues... flakes in the air in some capacity off and on now for 24 hours.

LOL. Skiers think alike.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. Skiers think alike.

Ha yep... and also the way man-made snow piles up there isn't a lot of surface area exposed to the warmth. That's why ski areas won't push out the piles and spread it around until they absolutely have to. Its the same reason as to why your snow lasts a lot longer when its piled up in a snowbank vs. if you knock the pile down and spread it out around your yard.

Ha yep... and also the way man-made snow piles up there isn't a lot of surface area exposed to the warmth. That's why ski areas won't push out the piles and spread it around until they absolutely have to. Its the same reason as to why your snow lasts a lot longer when its piled up in a snowbank vs. if you knock the pile down and spread it out around your yard.

I always get p*ssed in the spring when I see somebody accelerating the melting process by shoveling their snow banks out onto the warm pavement. It should be illegal with the first offense being a stiff fine and jail terms imposed for subsequent offenses.

Gonna be a cold night tonight..though temps in the hills may come up twds dawn as southerly winds pick up..Already 34.6 here

Maybe ORH can actually get their first freeze

Is this a joke? I haven't been paying attention to temps down there and know the hilltops have stayed warm, but they must've gotten a solid freeze of 28-30F by now, no?

A delightful evening, cool and crisp the smell of burning wood filling the air, hard to believe in less than two weeks winter will be here, and with that comes the most important bday of all, Jerry, born on the first day of winter how fitting.

Big squirrels outside today, special times starting just before the holidays? .....mother nature says yes.

Nice.

Even though your observation is from 8:20pm, you were still way colder than anyone else in SNE is at 9pm. Congrats! Pesky upslope cloudiness and breeze keeping us at 30F up here right now.

Nah, Shaw Pond is matching me degree for degree. They were at 23-24 at 8:30, Rick (Logan11) is also in the low twenties. The sheltered little hollows here on the East Slope were below freezing before sunset. Peru was also at 32 when I went through there at 4:30. Anytime you want to check my obs Shaw Pond is now the closest on radiational cooling nights. I miss the Ashfield site. It was so close in elevation and proximity. Our overnight lows matched up very well.

Nah, Shaw Pond is matching me degree for degree. They were at 23-24 at 8:30, Rick (Logan11) is also in the low twenties. The sheltered little hollows here on the East Slope were below freezing before sunset. Peru was also at 32 when I went through there at 4:30. Anytime you want to check my obs Shaw Pond is now the closest on radiational cooling nights. I miss the Ashfield site. It was so close in elevation and proximity. Our overnight lows matched up very well.

Im @ 25 all the way down here...

Shouldn't you also use the obs at Goshen as verification ? Their elevation is a bit higher than yours.

Archived