• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

DaculaWeather

Oh, and being relatively new around here (1+ year), Lookout, would you mind posting your location in your profile? I gather that you live in GA, and many people know where, but it's hard sometimes to understand posts without the location in mind.

Ssshh. We try and not mention the witness protection program thing.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen his maps yet, But looks like Larry is describing a pretty severe Winter in the South and East this season. Judging by the words he's using on FB, sounds pretty cold and stormy with blocking, which could begin soon. One thing I mentioned a couple days ago is how quickly Canada should go snowcovered, starting with next weekends storm, there will be 2 more very good ones right after that, in various parts of the country there and into MN/Dakotas, so the cold air coming down should not modifiy as quickly. But first, the Southeast will go toward the warm side through the first third of November before the possible (big) blocking occurs. Based on just how many wild amplifications we've had, and how the models look (and keep flipping on the longwave positions) , chances are its going to get extremely active. Atleast it won't be boring, like we had across much of the country, esp. the South from about 2005 until 2008, nearly 4 years of pretty bland weather year round.

I was looking today at another tractor for snow. I sure wish the southeast was guarantee like the north. It sure would make it easier on making purchases!!

I know but I need you to drive it or pick up some work for me in Shelby

I said your area would need it, but here?:arrowhead: The county does need to hire snow removers who don't scrape dry roads continuously, like the last 3 years on my road.Always a hoot to watch them make 2 passes per day on a completely dried up 1 mile stretch of asphalt....think maybe they're in cahoots with the paving company .

True, but Lookout said he didn't care about loops at all. He just wanted the plain images which are also accessible on the site.

Loops or not, his site has Java, which is what I was responding to. I didn't take into account what Lookout prefers, my intentions were to show Allan's site does in fact have JAVA.

Did anyone else read the title as bring on the cold rain??

I almost didn't open it.

HAHA wow I just noticed it isn't rain.... I thought it was rather clever.

I will caution that the persistent presence of a Baffin Island Block could lead to another, longer lasting, blast of colder values at mid-month. Both the European and American model suites are hinting at a rather vast blocking signature covering northern Canada and Greenland, set against a ridge complex across the northern Pacific Ocean. That couplet of positive 500MB height anomalies would doom most of the lower 48 states to a long period of cold with storm threats along the southern and eastern coastlines of the U.S.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Houston TX And Vicinity Weather Forecast, Halloween, Monday, October 31, 2011 - Houston Weather | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-houston/houston-tx-and-vicinity-weather-forecast-halloween-monday-october-31-2011#ixzz1cPAI86Ra

Wow, that sounds bad. :o:snowman::thumbsup:

Now that Halloween is over and we enter the holiday season..... BRING ON THE COLD AND SNOW! I've already had three days in a row of heavy frost/ice on the car windshield which seems extremely early for here but I wont complain one little bit. Happy November everyone!

Larry uses a lot of the Euro ENS which is probably what he is talking about there. I believe it can go out for quite awhile and seems to be more valid vs. the GFS for long range seasonal changes.

Thanks for the possible clarification. Makes sense to me.

I can't seem to crack the 20s here in north JC. Bottomed out at 30.9 and the projected low temperature was 28. The airport actually made it to 28 (12-14 miles northeast of me). I wonder if there is something wrong with the temperature guage on my new Davis Pro wireless system??

I can't seem to crack the 20s here in north JC. Bottomed out at 30.9 and the projected low temperature was 28. The airport actually made it to 28 (12-14 miles northeast of me). I wonder if there is something wrong with the temperature guage on my new Davis Pro wireless system??

Does yours have the 24hr FARS? If so go out there before sunrise to make sure the fan is actually working in the dark just before sunrise. If the fan is not working, it takes longer for the air inside the cone to respond to temp changes outside the cone.

I'm pretty sure Allan Huffman's site has no javascript involved. I don't get why some people detest Java, but if you want non-Java stuff, his site should work for you.

Oh, and being relatively new around here (1+ year), Lookout, would you mind posting your location in your profile? I gather that you live in GA, and many people know where, but it's hard sometimes to understand posts without the location in mind. Actually, this is a plea for everyone to add some kind of identifier to their profile so that when you make comments, we can know to where you are referring. Just a thought. Thanks!

Because the vast majority of the time javascript is totally unnecessary and leads to slower load times...even with my new laptop. I also don't like having it on due to viruses and adware so it's annoying to have to keep turning it on every time I want to view a model. I have not had a virus in a very long time using firefox with it turned off and it seems like every time I turn it on and forget to turn it back off, I get infected with adware or a virus.

You do have a point about the profile/location. I've had that as my location for 10 years and just don't think about changing it to be honest. Even though most here know where I am, I'll edit it since it's understandable that "nega" is pretty vague lol

Actually I just realized I don't even have that on here (i did on eastern)...well damn lol. Pretty bad I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I doubt it's the Davis. Being a couple of degrees off from the airport that's almost 15 miles away is probably perfectly normal. What you need to do is submit your data to CWOP so you can get a better idea how your data compares to stations around you. Here's my data: http://www.daculaweather.com/cwop_stats.php

Also, elevation can make a big difference, I don't know how different yours is from the airport but keep that in mind too. Then throw in a difference in mounting heights between your ISS and the 5 feet the NWS uses and there is some of the difference too.

I would be more concerned about following their temperature (tracking with it), but not being exactly what theirs is.

Now that Halloween is over and we enter the holiday season..... BRING ON THE COLD AND SNOW! I've already had three days in a row of heavy frost/ice on the car windshield which seems extremely early for here but I wont complain one little bit. Happy November everyone!

I agree! We deserve lots of snow after the rain ruined Halloween. And it does sound like this could be a pretty active winter here.

toward the end of the run on ECMWF it has 2 closed highs, one over the pole, the other between Baffin Isle and Hudson Bay, so it's seeing some high latitude blocking showing up. Meanwhile, our next weather maker is a good tight closed low that should roll due east from Kansas. Underneath that will be an area of decent rain across the Tenn Valley/N Ga and the Carolinas later Thursday into early Friday. Some areas might get over 1" of rain with it.

post-38-0-81829000-1320154017.gif

post-38-0-58564500-1320154027.gif

Dipped down to 25.6 with my Cullowhee station near the Tuck River. Freeze for the 3rd day in a row.

Quick question... Julie Wonder from WLOS (Asheville News 13) mentioned freezing fog this morning via her twitter feed. Any observations from the Asheville crowd this morning?

Nothing up north of town Local. The airport obs had it this morning. So maybe it was a lower French Broad Valley situation.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KAVL.html

Because the vast majority of the time javascript is totally unnecessary and leads to slower load times...even with my new laptop. I also don't like having it on due to viruses and adware so it's annoying to have to keep turning it on every time I want to view a model. I have not had a virus in a very long time using firefox with it turned off and it seems like every time I turn it on and forget to turn it back off, I get infected with adware or a virus.

You do have a point about the profile/location. I've had that as my location for 10 years and just don't think about changing it to be honest. Even though most here know where I am, I'll edit it since it's understandable that "nega" is pretty vague lol

Actually I just realized I don't even have that on here (i did on eastern)...well ***** lol. Pretty bad I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing it out.

One tip for this issue is to run spybot search and destroy on your machine and let it "immunize" your browser so that it prevent this type of stuff from ever getting on your machine in the first place. This works better than any any antivirus software I have been able to find at preventing all that adware crap. And the best part about it is that it is FREE. You will be surprised at what it will find on your machine and once you let it remove what it finds, your machine should run better.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

One tip for this issue is to run spybot search and destroy on your machine and let it "immunize" your browser so that it prevent this type of stuff from ever getting on your machine in the first place. This works better than any any antivirus software I have been able to find at preventing all that adware crap. And the best part about it is that it is FREE. You will be surprised at what it will find on your machine and once you let it remove what it finds, your machine should run better.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

I already have it, and used the immunization feature (which I love) and have been a fan of it for a long time. I have used it since not long after it's first release. I highly recommend it too. The only thing is though, recent versions seem to hang up sometimes but otherwise it's a fantastic program. We are lucky it's free.

dipped to 30 this morning. It was the third frost on my truck and about the 6th frost on rooftops this season, which is probably the most frosts I can recall so early in the season. Many years we don't get a frost until middle of November. I just noticed the date is all "1's"

post-38-0-16871300-1320152824.jpg

Had another widespread frost here this morning too after a low of 32. I've had 2 widespread frosts, one solid freeze and several patchy frosts so far. This about a week and a half early I think vs the average. The question is, does this mean anything for the winter and if it does, what? This is where we need larry to chime in and give us some of his fascinating and fantastic statistics.

I think he has said the weather in november is a strong indicator for the winter based on his research but not sure what it means, if anything.

http://www.safer-net...g/en/index.html

also, you can add something on FF called 'adblock" which is easy to set up and works great. I also have problems with java loops, like many of the long ranged sat and rad. loops would always end up with out of memory type errors, even though i have plenty of memory, always had to refresh for something say 8 hours longer. But I found a fix for it when I googled java help, and installed the latest java platform. Now so far , none of the loops I'm running require a refresh. Thats a first.

Does yours have the 24hr FARS? If so go out there before sunrise to make sure the fan is actually working in the dark just before sunrise. If the fan is not working, it takes longer for the air inside the cone to respond to temp changes outside the cone.

Yes it has the FARS, but i don't know if the fan is actually working. I have never heard it running before. Is there a way to check it?

also, you can add something on FF called 'adblock" which is easy to set up and works great. I also have problems with java loops, like many of the long ranged sat and rad. loops would always end up with out of memory type errors, even though i have plenty of memory, always had to refresh for something say 8 hours longer. But I found a fix for it when I googled java help, and installed the latest java platform. Now so far , none of the loops I'm running require a refresh. Thats a first.

Got that one too. It works great. Supposedly the latest Java update was supposed to be faster and less resource intensive so who knows. I have mine to update automatically which seems it updates every other week.

Archived