joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

DaculaWeather

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it has the FARS, but i don't know if the fan is actually working. I have never heard it running before. Is there a way to check it?

You get close to it you'll hear it. I don't think that's your issue though. The most noticeable difference the fan will make is when the sun is shining on the radiation shield. At night it has a little effect but not very much.

You get close to it you'll hear it. I don't think that's your issue though. The most noticeable difference the fan will make is when the sun is shining on the radiation shield. At night it has a little effect but not very much.

It can have an effect at night in that sometimes my temp will dip another 1/2 to 1 degree the last 30 minutes before sun rise and if the fan in not working the cone can be delayed in reacting which means it won't cool fast enough to catch that before the sun comes up. I've tested it before using just a plain ole digit thermometer hanging outside the FARS. Shortly after sunset the plain ole digital thermometer could be 1-2 degrees colder than the cone (no fan) because the cone takes longer to react without the fan working. If there is any wind then this is not an issue.

It can have an effect at night in that sometimes my temp will dip another 1/2 to 1 degree the last 30 minutes before sun rise and if the fan in not working the cone can be delayed in reacting which means it won't cool fast enough to catch that before the sun comes up. I've tested it before using just a plain ole digit thermometer hanging outside the FARS. Shortly after sunset the plain ole digital thermometer could be 1-2 degrees colder than the cone (no fan) because the cone takes longer to react without the fan working. If there is any wind then this is not an issue.

Definitely after sunset, that's the time my temps are off a little. And yes, it only matters much if the wind isn't blowing. Your radiation shield is a little larger than the shield on the Vue so that helps too.

Here's a good study of radiation shields that Davis did http://www.davisnet.com/news/ars_vs_c.pdf

Also, here's their rooftop...

2011-10DavisRoofForest.jpg

2011-10DavisRoofForest2.jpg

Definitely after sunset, that's the time my temps are off a little. And yes, it only matters much if the wind isn't blowing. Your radiation shield is a little larger than the shield on the Vue so that helps too.

Here's a good study of radiation shields that Davis did http://www.davisnet....ws/ars_vs_c.pdf

Also, here's their rooftop...

Thanks for the link!:thumbsup: I had never read that before. That is quite a rooftop...LOL..

You do have a point about the profile/location. I've had that as my location for 10 years and just don't think about changing it to be honest. Even though most here know where I am, I'll edit it since it's understandable that "nega" is pretty vague lol

Actually I just realized I don't even have that on here (i did on eastern)...well damn lol. Pretty bad I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for updating!

Got to give the GFS credit it's still suggesting the PV to drop into SE Canada and cause a deep trough over the Eastern Us. We'll see if it stays consistent. I have my eyes on the 9-11 storm, may bring severe weather to Dixie Alley region, and possible parts of the Southeast.

300hr GFS

gfs_namer_300_500_vort_ht.gif

Is it better to get the polar vortex now or to get it later when there's more cold air behind it? Or both?

I think what the GFS is seeing is the chance at colder air moving in sometime in November - which will probably happen. The degree of the cold and the timing is unknown, but the safest I could say would be 'colder than last time' and 'later than today'.

Is it better to get the polar vortex now or to get it later when there's more cold air behind it? Or both?

I think what the GFS is seeing is the chance at colder air moving in sometime in November - which will probably happen. The degree of the cold and the timing is unknown, but the safest I could say would be 'colder than last time' and 'later than today'.

Your insight is second to none.

Just to answer your question you typically want to the PV to come into play during winter to help suppress the storm from riding up the OV IIRC. Sometimes though the PV can come in too strong and squash a winter storm into Cuba so you really have to find a nice sweet spot for most in the SE. Someone with more knowledge can correct me though if I'm wrong.

Just to answer your question you typically want to the PV to come into play during winter to help suppress the storm from riding up the OV IIRC. Sometimes though the PV can come in too strong and squash a winter storm in Cuba so you really have to find a nice sweet spot for most in the SE. Someone with more knowledge can correct me though if I'm wrong.

Please, sir, I'd like it to set up shop in the sweet spot, and help us get hammered every week to 10 days til late May!

65.1 here, but feels nice out there. I've been putting in a fuel pump, and was comfortable. Not too warm a sun. Day like this helps one to forget all those awful 90+ days so recently past. Tony

Just to answer your question you typically want to the PV to come into play during winter to help suppress the storm from riding up the OV IIRC. Sometimes though the PV can come in too strong and squash a winter storm in Cuba so you really have to find a nice sweet spot for most in the SE. Someone with more knowledge can correct me though if I'm wrong.

As long as it's not the one Knoxville got in 1985. I don't mind a little winter here and there, but -24 is a bit too much for my heating bill.

Well, another thing to consider is that super cold air takes a long time to build. If you want something like a -60 or -70 pocket of very cold air in Alaska (very rare) or Siberia (not as rare), then it does take time for it to build. For really cold air to make it south, you need good snowpack (also takes a bit of time to build), and a very cold airmass that won't modify. The more 'drainage' of the north you get, the less likelihood you'll have a really cold arctic outbreak, and it'll be more likely you'll just have a long cold pattern - just not extreme cold.

My cases for this are Jan 1983, Jan 1985, Dec. 1989, Jan. 1994, and Feb. 1996, where there were record cold outbreaks that made it very far to the south and brought with it very extreme cold, but either preceded by or followed by significant above average spells in the southeast. On the other hand, if you look around here for example at pretty cold winters (2010 was decently cold), we didn't really have an extremely cold outbreak. It just remained cold for a while.

I can find an example of where it was very cold in the southeast, and there was a very good cold snap, and that seems to be in 1962. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

In other recently learned news... water is wet, valkhorn is unsubscribed.

Well, another thing to consider is that super cold air takes a long time to build. If you want something like a -60 or -70 pocket of very cold air in Alaska (very rare) or Siberia (not as rare), then it does take time for it to build. For really cold air to make it south, you need good snowpack (also takes a bit of time to build), and a very cold airmass that won't modify. The more 'drainage' of the north you get, the less likelihood you'll have a really cold arctic outbreak, and it'll be more likely you'll just have a long cold pattern - just not extreme cold.

My cases for this are Jan 1983, Jan 1985, Dec. 1989, Jan. 1994, and Feb. 1996, where there were record cold outbreaks that made it very far to the south and brought with it very extreme cold, but either preceded by or followed by significant above average spells in the southeast. On the other hand, if you look around here for example at pretty cold winters (2010 was decently cold), we didn't really have an extremely cold outbreak. It just remained cold for a while.

I can find an example of where it was very cold in the southeast, and there was a very good cold snap, and that seems to be in 1962. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But what does this really have to do with when you want the PV to show up and how it plays with our winter weather? I mean I get that it plays a part in the Jet Stream but as for winter weather in the SE the PV can build and break down at random can it not? So you only want it to show up during a storm track to help push the storm towards up...thus why it needs to really be in a perfect position (size?) to help us.

In other recently learned news... water is wet, valkhorn is unsubscribed.

:wub:

Someone is already running for weenie of the year? Brick better get his grass roots movement going

He is the perfect candidate for a weenie tag :weenie:

This guy is just annoying... Brick can be slightly amusing at times.

+ infinity :hug:

yikes.png

Here's a good study of radiation shields that Davis did http://www.davisnet....ws/ars_vs_c.pdf

The radiation shield on my VP2 is a lot smaller than the one on the VP1.

Archived