L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 8

O. 0.02 / 2 nm

P. AF306 0218A RINA OB 19

MAX FL WIND 74 KT S QUAD 20:39:00Z

Strong banding around center from 300 to 020 degrees

;

WRT track, it will be a close call for Cozumel and N Yucatan... if any, the Euro trended west, while the GFS has remained over or just east of CZ.

Euro weakens the storm...doesn't it? Would make sense seeing as the steering currents look to be quite varied, depending on the height/strength of Rina in a day or so.

Euro weakens the storm...doesn't it? Would make sense seeing as the steering currents look to be quite varied, depending on the height/strength of Rina in a day or so.

Yes, it has weakened the storm in most (all?) of its runs. It still trended west. The trough already bypassed the storm, and there won't be any trough in at least 4 days, weak/narrow ridging will be present until Thu/Fri, at mid and upper levels. Storm is smallish, and won't punch a hole into the ridge to it's north. Depth of the storm won't make a difference on steering currents until Fri, methinks. If by then it's still a good way east, then yes, I agree she will miss the Yucatan.

Not entirely surprised by the RI this morning... shear had obviously decreased last night with convection pulsing near the center and the big diurnal max last night allowed for the convection wrap into the center and begin the intensification process in earnest. Again thus far the track and intensity are falling much in line with Paula last year. I won't go much further than that because I'm working on a blog update for later tonight, but it should be interesting to see how strong the storm can get since the ECWMF continues to suggest favorable shear through 60 hours over the system, which is far longer than the GFS and likely to be more correct given the current diabetic heating occurring over the Caribbean that is helping to promote anticyclonic motion in the upper levels over Rina against the stronger flow associated with a jet streak over the Gulf of Mexico.

I see you moved a bit west from your prelim but sticking to Rina being buried in Cuba and other nastiness that awaits? What do you think in regards to intensity approaching Cuba given your center misses the Y by a large margin?

Thanks

Looks like he's suggesting ~100 kt for Cuba.

LEK is waaaaay right of the NHC and some of the major models-- it'll be a big score for him if he's right. :sun:

Archived