Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Remnant Low Rina.

wxmx

The core is getting to bow-chicka-wow-wow status, at least

It appears that the closed eyewall that was present last night is now in the process of reconsolidating after becoming more diffuse.... the eyewall is open to the S/SE, but appears to be smaller in diameter, more symmetrical and intense. If it can close off completely..... things could really take off...

gifsBy12hr_03.gif

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that the closed eyewall that was present last night dissipated and is now in the process of reforming.... the new eyewall is open to the S/SE, but appears to be smaller in diameter, more symmetrical and intense. If it can close off completely..... things could really take off...

I disagree extensively. The eyewall did not dissipate... rather, it is now becoming better organized/more consolidated whereas before it appeared more diffuse.

I disagree extensively. The eyewall did not dissipate... rather, it is now becoming better organized/more consolidated whereas before it appeared more diffuse.

Looking VERY good in initial visible images. Small eye apparent around 17.2N, 82.9W, with very cold tops on the western side.

From the 11AM full package:

THE BIGGEST CHANGE TO THE TRACK FORECAST

IS A FASTER FORWARD SPEED THROUGH 48 HOURS...WITH THE NHC TRACK

LYING A LITTLE TO THE RIGHT OF THE CENTER OF THE GUIDANCE

ENVELOPE...BUT TO THE LEFT OF THE GFS. AT DAYS 3 THROUGH 5...LITTLE

CHANGE WAS MADE TO THE OFFICIAL FORECAST GIVEN THE LARGE SPREAD IN

THE TRACK GUIDANCE. AT THE END OF THE PERIOD THE NHC FORECAST IS

CLOSEST TO THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN AND A LITTLE NORTH OF THE FSU

SUPERENSEMBLE. GIVEN THE LARGE SPREAD IN THE MODEL SOLUTIONS IN THE

EXTENDED RANGE...THE CONFIDENCE IN THE LATTER PART OF THE TRACK

FORECAST REMAINS LOW.

post-32-0-59652200-1319554947.gif

With the warming cloud tops away from the center and what appears to be a very small eye emerging at the center, it looks like Rina may be one of those unusual storms that become smaller with time, or at least temporarily.

The dry air in the environment may be helping to constrain the size of Rina as well.

An intensifying hurricane tends to get smaller/slightly more compact with time. It's covered in Merrill (1984), using ROCI (radius of outermost closed isobar) as the size metric.

With the warming cloud tops away from the center and what appears to be a very small eye emerging at the center, it looks like Rina may be one of those unusual storms that become smaller with time, or at least temporarily.

Well, despite the fact that our posts are deleted from this website, you have seen our forecasts from yesterday for Rina as well as those from mid August for Irene. If you were alive in 1991 and living in S FL you would also have heard our broadcasts from Homestead, but none of this qualifies us to post on this website apparently. Good day.

Well, despite the fact that our posts are deleted from this website, you have seen our forecasts from yesterday for Rina as well as those from mid August for Irene. If you were alive in 1991 and living in S FL you would also have heard our broadcasts from Homestead, but none of this qualifies us to post on this website apparently. Good day.

Andrew was in 1992.....

Your posts about IMBY weather add little value to this thread. You are welcome to post your forecasts with reasoning, but your editorial comments are unnecessary and unwanted.

The threat (other than the idiotic career ending one) will probably be further S in the Yucatan, probably even S of CZ. Models were barely moving Rina yesterday for the first 24 hours, and she is moving a little faster now... implying a stronger ridge, which was a bit expected thanks to the W coast trough being slower to swing east.

The threat (other than the idiotic career ending one) will probably be further S in the Yucatan, probably even S of CZ. Models were barely moving Rina yesterday for the first 24 hours, and she is moving a little faster now... implying a stronger ridge, which was a bit expected thanks to the W coast trough being slower to swing east.

Agreed, Jorge... I still think the GFS is off in its own world.

What does the 12z GFS look like in 3-4 days, out of curiosity? Between this cryptic post to the blog, and a text message I just received, is the 12z GFS taking this storm into SW FL this weekend? Yesterday, 1/4 of the 00z global ensemble members (mostly European) showed this type of solution.

Agreed, Jorge... I still think the GFS is off in its own world.

What does the 12z GFS look like in 3-4 days, out of curiosity? Between this cryptic post to the blog, and a text message I just received, is the 12z GFS taking this storm into SW FL this weekend? Yesterday, 1/4 of the 00z global ensemble members (mostly European) showed this type of solution.

Yeah, brushes the Yucatan then makes a beeline for Ft Myers (sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic)

The dry air in the environment may be helping to constrain the size of Rina as well.

I understand that dry air limits the size of the circulation, but is this mainly due to the fact that the outer bands can't organize to effectively increase the size of the circulation, because of dry air on the outer reaches of the circulation? I've always tried to fit a conceptual model to how dry air affects circulations, and it seems like while the inner core is unaffected in a low shear environment, the outer bands have difficulty maintaining organization because the shear on the outer reaches of the storm (due to anticyclonic motion aloft and cyclonic motion near the surface) are effective at advecting dry air into the bands won't allow for more axisymmetric structures such as outer eyewalls to develop. Thus the storm stays small since the small inner core doesn't have to compete with the energy of an outer core.

Let me know if this makes any sense... weight_lift.gif

I understand that dry air limits the size of the circulation, but is this mainly due to the fact that the outer bands can't organize to effectively increase the size of the circulation, because of dry air on the outer reaches of the circulation? I've always tried to fit a conceptual model to how dry air affects circulations, and it seems like while the inner core is unaffected in a low shear environment, the outer bands have difficulty maintaining organization because the shear on the outer reaches of the storm (due to anticyclonic motion aloft and cyclonic motion near the surface) are effective at advecting dry air into the bands won't allow for more axisymmetric structures such as outer eyewalls to develop. Thus the storm stays small since the small inner core doesn't have to compete with the energy of an outer core.

Let me know if this makes any sense... weight_lift.gif

From what I understand, the dry air prevents convection from forming in the outer bands, due to entrainment choking off the updrafts. If there was convection at outer radii, there would be PV generation which would expand the area of cyclonic PV, leading to a broader wind field and TC size. Hill and Lackmann (2009) discusses this in a lot further detail.

Archived