joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Remnant Low Rina.

wxmx

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

MIAMI FL200 PM EDT FRI OCT 21 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA IS CENTERED ABOUT 170 MILES EAST OF THE COAST OF NICARAGUA. THE ASSOCIATED SHOWER ACTIVITY HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED...AND THERE IS A LIKELIHOOD THAT A TROPICAL DEPRESSION WILL FORM DURING THE WEEKEND. LITTLE MOTION IS ANTICIPATED IN THE SHORT TERM...BUT A SLOW NORTHWARD DRIFT SHOULD BEGIN ON SUNDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Global and hurricane models are getting a little excited with this one.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Climo for october is a track nnw and then curving norheastward towards western Florida pretty much like the Euro and to a lesser extent 12Z GFS though the latter curves before it gets to the penninsula. The nov track is usually due northeast as the westerlies get farther to the south. I'm not sold on the splitting the gap track of the Eruo but guess it is one possibility. I think the Yucatan track is less likely but who knows. I just hope this is no Wilma imitator as dike around Lake Okeechobee still needs work.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

Climo for october is a track nnw and then curving norheastward towards western Florida pretty much like the Euro and to a lesser extent 12Z GFS though the latter curves before it gets to the penninsula. The nov track is usually due northeast as the westerlies get farther to the south. I'm not sold on the splitting the gap track of the Eruo but guess it is one possibility. I think the Yucatan track is less likely but who knows. I just hope this is no Wilma imitator as dike around Lake Okeechobee still needs work.

Agreed, climo for NW-Caribbean cyclones in Oct is N and then NE motion (a la Wilma 2005), but there some important exceptions-- for example, Richard 2010, Iris 2001, Keith 2000, Mitch 1998, Roxanne 1995, and Hattie 1961, a Cat 4 that devastated Belize (then British Honduras).

Agreed, climo for NW-Caribbean cyclones in Oct is N and then NE motion (a la Wilma 2005), but there some important exceptions-- for example, Richard 2010, Iris 2001, Keith 2000, Roxanne 1995, and Hattie 1961, a Cat 4 that devastated Belize (then British Honduras).

I almost posted a line about remembering some exceptions as there have been exceptions. still right now I'd lean towards a climo like track.

The lake has gone up almost a foot and half the past 2 weeks. Now at 12.63. As you said the dike needs work.

The lake has gone up almost a foot and half the past 2 weeks. Now at 12.63. As you said the dike needs work.

It does and I'm guessing the lake will continue to rise during the next couple of days unless the corps start getting nervous about a possible tropical system. I'd like to see the lake at 13.6 or so by the end of the dry season. That would keep the lake hihg enough to fish easily during the spawn. A wilma type storm would really screw up the lake. Last year it finally had recovered.

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since Wilma, still have those seiche images in my head.

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since Wilma, still have those seiche images in my head.

so do I and not in a good way since I know lots of people who own condos that would be in trouble if the dike ever failed. Such a storm would also pretty much uproot much of the vegetation which would really muddy the lake.

Archived