• Created
  • Last Reply

Grandfather Mountain Summit

10:00pm

Temp: 38.3

Dewpoint: 38.1

Wind: West at 49 with gusts to 75

Pressure: 826mb (24.39 inHG)

They need to adjust the barometer for sea level.

I wish there was an active station on Mt. Leconte. Usually the best you can get is a high/low and the snowdepth.

Is blizzard criteria not being met above 4,500ft?

I see gusts to hurricane force and some mountain tops possibly getting 1-2inches.

They rarely give out blizzard warnings for high elevations because hardly anyone lives there, high winds are expected, and for this time of year there probably won't be any blowing or drifting snow - and little if any accumulation.

Besides, hurricane force winds aren't that rare esp. when you get above 6000 ft. I've been at that elevation a few times when it's hard to stand or even breathe due to the wind.

EDIT: Also, it's a microclimate that doesn't easily conform countywide.

They rarely give out blizzard warnings for high elevations because hardly anyone lives there, high winds are expected, and for this time of year there probably won't be any blowing or drifting snow - and little if any accumulation.

Besides, hurricane force winds aren't that rare esp. when you get above 6000 ft. I've been at that elevation a few times when it's hard to stand or even breathe due to the wind.

True.

Well, this time NWS and Ray's Weather are not ruling out 1-2 inches up there. But then again, who will be able to measure that lol.

Had a nice little dusting this morning. After a lengthy lull this afternoon, snowing lightly for the last hour. Sitting here sippin' by the fire, looking out the window at the snow, watching Alabama kick Florida's butt. Man, what a nice evening.

Light snow

Temp - 33.4

Wind - 16/ G 24

I went up to Grandfather this morning and took some video. The winds were strong up there.

Awesome guys!!!

Had a nice little dusting this morning. After a lengthy lull this afternoon, snowing lightly for the last hour. Sitting here sippin' by the fire, looking out the window at the snow, watching Alabama kick Florida's butt. Man, what a nice evening.

Light snow

Temp - 33.4

Wind - 16/ G 24

So it begins :wub:

Wow-does anyone know when the record earliest measurable snowfalls are for some of the places that got snow? Even for the higher peaks this has to be pretty unusual.

Up here there was a dusting-1" on a nearby mountain at ~2200', only about 1k feet above me.

There's no way to really tell on the highest peaks of the Southern Apps (Mt. Mitchell, Clingman's, Mt. Leconte) simply because there aren't any public weather stations or people to monitor what falls out of the sky 24/7. The best records at Mt. Leconte are done by hand, as is Mt. Mitchell from what I am aware. Clingman's doesn't have a reporting station.

Fairly accurate records have only been kept over the last 25 years in these spots, and they usually are only the high/low/snow depth.

Snow has fallen in these spots as late as May before. I've even seen a dusting of snow in Knoxville in mid April before. This could be one of the earliest times for it to happen, but I do know Clingman's usually gets its first ice/snow sometime in October. It's very well possible over the last 100 years that snow has fallen in those spots earlier, but not much earlier.

As for a June snow, it's also possible at that elevation. Mt. Leconte has never seen a temperature above 79 degrees before. But, each winter I've seen it get well below zero more than a few times.

There's no way to really tell on the highest peaks of the Southern Apps (Mt. Mitchell, Clingman's, Mt. Leconte) simply because there aren't any public weather stations or people to monitor what falls out of the sky 24/7. The best records at Mt. Leconte are done by hand, as is Mt. Mitchell from what I am aware. Clingman's doesn't have a reporting station.

Fairly accurate records have only been kept over the last 25 years in these spots, and they usually are only the high/low/snow depth.

Snow has fallen in these spots as late as May before. I've even seen a dusting of snow in Knoxville in mid April before. This could be one of the earliest times for it to happen, but I do know Clingman's usually gets its first ice/snow sometime in October. It's very well possible over the last 100 years that snow has fallen in those spots earlier, but not much earlier.

As for a June snow, it's also possible at that elevation. Mt. Leconte has never seen a temperature above 79 degrees before. But, each winter I've seen it get well below zero more than a few times.

As far as early snow. The earliest flakes to fall here in the Valley I know of was October 9th 2000. I'm sure most remember that early season cold snap. Higher elevations recorded light accs. then. The latest I recall was May 7th 1989 in which there was a dusting in the Valleys and as much as 3 inches in Wise,VA. The latest of record was way back on May 20, 1894 in which 6-10 inches fell. Corn was said to of been knee high and the snow bent it over. Intellicast had an article on this in the Dr Dewpoint section it used to have. I don't know where you can find it now. It may have snowed some even down there in Volville then.

As far as early snow. The earliest flakes to fall here in the Valley I know of was October 9th 2000. I'm sure most remember that early season cold snap. Higher elevations recorded light accs. then. The latest I recall was May 7th 1989 in which there was a dusting in the Valleys and as much as 3 inches in Wise,VA. The latest of record was way back on May 20, 1894 in which 6-10 inches fell. Corn was said to of been knee high and the snow bent it over. Intellicast had an article on this in the Dr Dewpoint section it used to have. I don't know where you can find it now. It may have snowed some even down there in Volville then.

Erwin experienced a rain/snow mix last night, though the lowest the temperature reached was ~40. This event marks the earliest snow I can recall in the valley.

This photo was made at 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon from atop Hawksbill Mountain along the Linville Gorge, looking toward Grandfather Mountain and Blowing Rock. It was snowing all along that ridge, and you can see the snow rainbow over the Linn Cove Viaduct on the Parkway. There were people on the mountain from Boone who said it had been snowing there all morning.

post-1004-0-54944700-1317644187.jpg

Wow-does anyone know when the record earliest measurable snowfalls are for some of the places that got snow? Even for the higher peaks this has to be pretty unusual.

Up here there was a dusting-1" on a nearby mountain at ~2200', only about 1k feet above me.

Found one article last year that noted the earliest measurable snow on mt michell was oct 6, 1980 per the NWS but it doesn't say how much. Maybe Isohume could pull some records for us and let us know how much.

However, snow/flurries has been reported in every month of the year on mt mitchell...which is quite extraordinary when you think about it since, although high for our neck of the woods, isn't "that high".

Nope. Just in ATL for a 3-week trial. When'd you move to Columbia? Was that part of the promotion you got at work?

Well if you decided to join us, you'd be a member of the best group on the board...just an fyi ;)

And I had not noticed jeremy was in columbia either. That would suck actually if it's permanent. He's been THE charlotte guy all the way back to the wwbb days. Would not seem right knowing he's in columbia lol.

Archived