Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Early Fall Snow Observations

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be on the Ocoee river this weekend. Doubt I'll see anything, but will probably take a drive on Saturday afternoon/early evening. If there is anything to photograh, I will have my camera and will post it up.

The best places are going to be 441 through Newfound Gap, but you'll probably have to go to Clingman's Dome (above 6500') for your best odds.

The next sweet spot is in the NC high country near Boone, and after that the places above 3500' near Wise and Abingdon, VA. I know a few spots up there where you can get absolutely no snow and rain, then see a switch to all snow within a 10 minute drive if the conditions are right.

This is typical for most NW Flow events.

Now in the dead of winter, the snow can make it all the way into the valley on a good night.

From "Rays Weather Center"...

"...By sunrise Saturday, mountaintops will be below freezing and valleys will be in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Temperatures Saturday will be "flat". Skies will be generally cloudy (a bit more sun on the east side of the Appalachians near the Blue Ridge). Expect light precipitation--showers/drizzle but snowflakes mixing in at times above 3000'. As you go up in elevation, you'll see more snow. An inch or two is possible above 4500' by Saturday night. Precipitation will end Saturday night. "

Bring it on.

The best places are going to be 441 through Newfound Gap, but you'll probably have to go to Clingman's Dome (above 6500') for your best odds.

The next sweet spot is in the NC high country near Boone, and after that the places above 3500' near Wise and Abingdon, VA. I know a few spots up there where you can get absolutely no snow and rain, then see a switch to all snow within a 10 minute drive if the conditions are right.

This is typical for most NW Flow events.

Now in the dead of winter, the snow can make it all the way into the valley on a good night.

You didnt mention the highest point on the Pkwy (6053') at the Richland Balsam Overlook. This is an easy drive for most in SW NC as it is about 20 min from say Waynesville/Sylva area. This is a prime location for NW flow. I am heading up there early early Sat morning if my ass is inspired enough to crawl out of bed. :snowman:

You didnt mention the highest point on the Pkwy (6053') at the Richland Balsam Overlook. This is an easy drive for most in SW NC as it is about 20 min from say Waynesville/Sylva area. This is a prime location for NW flow. I am heading up there early early Sat morning if my ass is inspired enough to crawl out of bed. :snowman:

Went up there many of times while at WCU. Spectacular views and easily accessed as you stated. Take the camera and post your picks.

Went up there many of times while at WCU. Spectacular views and easily accessed as you stated. Take the camera and post your picks.

Glad to talk with another WCU Alum! I will certainly try and capture the snow. I love the ease of access I have to 6053'; this past May the soundings indicated possible snow atop the Pkwy and I ran up the hill after work to catch my 1st May flakes in my lifetime (some people just dont appreciate the resources we have in Jackson).

If your ever coming into Jackson anytime soon, check out our website which is exclusively for Jackson County; www.localyokelweather.com

And the "lets see how much snoJoe" gets this year counter starts :)

From "Rays Weather Center"...

"...By sunrise Saturday, mountaintops will be below freezing and valleys will be in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Temperatures Saturday will be "flat". Skies will be generally cloudy (a bit more sun on the east side of the Appalachians near the Blue Ridge). Expect light precipitation--showers/drizzle but snowflakes mixing in at times above 3000'. As you go up in elevation, you'll see more snow. An inch or two is possible above 4500' by Saturday night. Precipitation will end Saturday night. "

Bring it on.

And the "lets see how much snoJoe" gets this year counter starts :)

I'm going to make a few calls:

Newfound Gap - dusting to .5"

Richland Balsam Overlook - dusting to .5"

Clingman's Dome, Mt. Leconte - .5" to 1"+

Grandfather Mountain - 1 - 2"

Hidden Valley Lake, VA (near Abingdon) - dusting to .5"

And the winner of them all:

Snowshoe, WV - 2 - 4"

Of course you would come down and get in on the first snow of the season :)

Lots of folks are camping tonight!! Bundle up :snowman:

I'm camping with some friends this weekend at Mt. Pisgah. Very windy right now with light rain. Expecting it to change to snow before sunrise. Can't say I planned this, but certainly not going to complain :)

Archived