• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Heat Lightning

ThePhotoGuy

Not upset, just hoping by typing in ALL CAPS, you will understand it. Apparently not.

If I were a furriner, I'd probably understand the slow yelling a bit better. :lol:

Seriously, though, I'm with all of you in that there is no such thing as lightning created by heat - that's obvious to those of us who follow the weather. I'm just arguing the semantics from a slightly different angle.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I'm contradicting myself. I'm saying that the general public should be educated on what they think of as "heat lightning" doesn't actually exist. However, I think that BB knows that, and was simply using the term as a description in place of "distant lightning" or something similar. I suppose I'm just looking at it differently and perhaps from a less critical eye.

The one big problem I have is that no one said "Hey, BB, you realize that the term 'heat lightning' is really a misnomer and, as someone who fancies himself a student of weather, you should probably cease and desist from using the term altogether." Instead, he got crapped on. At that point I figured I'd wade in and earn myself a little piss on my head. :lol:

I already did in so many words just a few weeks ago... he even acknowledged it (added to the fact that he said "distant heat lightning," which refutes your speculation in your third sentence):

Someone way out East is getting a Nice light show, distant heat lightning.

Someone way out East is getting a Nice light show, distant heat lightning.

FYP

Thx

1. ITS JUST LIGHTNING! IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT ITS AT A DISTANCE WHERE THUNDER IS NOT HEARD. HEAT IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH IT, ITS JUST LIGHTNING!

2. IT IS NOT AN ACTUAL METEROLOGICAL PHENOMENON! ITS JUST LIGHTNING. HEAT IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

Lightning isn't a meteorological phenomenon?

yes, we have established that - lightning where you cannot hear the thunder is distant lightning, not heat lightning.

Yes, however even though its not heat lightning, lets not forget that heat and instability do play a factor in it. Days where you get distant lightning usually occur in warm/unstable atmospheres.

Yes, however even though its not heat lightning, lets not forget that heat and instability do play a factor in it. Days where you get distant lightning usually occur in warm/unstable atmospheres.

(facepalm) that's like saying "well let's call it ice lightning" because we need ice in the cloud to produce lightning axesmiley.png

Cold and other things go into making snow but we don't call it "cold snow".

Think about how the term originated though...people thought that lightning was simply being caused by heat or something like and there was no thunder associated with it. Science has proven this wrong and therefore the term is wrong. Nobody is arguing that lightning can't be so far away that you don't hear thunder. That is not the argument.

lol I have never said this, I just prefer "heat lightning" over "lightning in the distance with no thunder".

but since it ticks everyone off (especially mapgirl) i'll no longer use the term

The problem with BB is he think he knows all, as he has said many times that he is quite knowledgable. So if he knows all, then he shouldn't use the term. Also, this isn't the first time he has used it and been told that it is wrong.

I've never said that either, but I'm smart enough to know heat lighting is not a "type" of lightning.

I already did in so many words just a few weeks ago... he even acknowledged it (added to the fact that he said "distant heat lightning," which refutes your speculation in your third sentence):

That's what call lightning in the distance, fresh in my mind 2 months ago you called me on it using the term "distant" for clarification.

obviously it angers the board, you won't hear it from me again

Archived