• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Katia tracking and discussion thread

Damage In Tolland

Hey Josh, Katia looks very intact and pretty this AM, perhaps you should rebook your room in NC, this one has that right angle into NC then hard right look.

Thanks for bringing this back on topic, Steve. Yeah, I was starting to wonder about the Carolinas. But, man, that Emily analogue is spooking me a little. that would be a serious cliffhanger. Anyone who did chase Emily 1993 got majorly burnt.

What's especially interesting is that if Emily had actually made it ashore in N! It would have been the strongest Outer Banks hit in a very long time.

he was probably using lush as an adjective...not as a noun. savory, delicious?

"Lush" is used to describe to describe *objects*-- for example, vegetation. When applied to people-- whether it be in noun or adjective form-- it's North American slang for a drunk.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for bringing this back on topic, Steve. Yeah, I was starting to wonder about the Carolinas. But, man, that Emily analogue is spooking me a little. that would be a serious cliffhanger. Anyone who did chase Emily 1993 got majorly burnt.

What's especially interesting is that if Emily had actually made it ashore in N! It would have been the strongest Outer Banks hit in a very long time.

"Lush" is used to describe to describe *objects*-- for example, vegetation. When applied to people-- whether it be in noun or adjective form-- it's North American slang for a drunk.

I think it's fine to manipulate the English language a bit..... makes for a creative style, as long as the reader understands the context in which you are using it.

JMO.

I've never heard lush in an adjectival form used to describe people...it was weird no doubt. The slang form's adjective is not lush.

I think it's fine to manipulate the English language a bit..... makes for a creative style, as long as the reader understands the context in which you are using it.

JMO.

I think it's fine to manipulate the language if you have the capable hands to do it. If not, the end product is just called "9th grader's poetry book", "scrawlings of a frustrated poet on a weather board", or "D.H. Lawrence reincarnated as a weather nerd".

I just don't think it's nice for anyone to describe their wife as a lush. Hopefully, he'll realize this and apologize to her.

I think it's fine to manipulate the language if you have the capable hands to do it. If not, the end product is just called "9th grader's poetry book", "scrawlings of a frustrated poet on a weather board", or "D.H. Lawrence reincarnated as a weather nerd".

I just don't think it's nice for anyone to describe their wife as a lush. Hopefully, he'll realize this and apologize to her.

:lol:

We'll have to agree to disagree....I respect your point of view, though...I get it.

I've never heard lush in an adjectival form used to describe people...it was weird no doubt. The slang form's adjective is not lush.

In this sentence, "lush" is a noun: The lush walked into the bar while her husband sat on a boat and posted on a weather board.

In this sentence, "lush" is used an an adjective: The lush wife couldn't keep her trembling hands off the bottle as her husband wrote poetry on a weather board.

In the second example, "lush" modifies the noun "wife".

It's clumsy writing, to say the least!

In this sentence, "lush" is a noun: The lush walked into the bar while her husband sat on a boat and posted on a weather board.

In this sentence, "lush" is used an an adjective: The lush wife couldn't keep her trembling hands off the bottle as her husband wrote poetry on a weather board.

In the second example, "lush" modifies the noun "wife".

It's clumsy writing, to say the least!

but I don't think it can be used that way...I looked online and the only forms of the slang were a noun and an intransitive verb...not an adjective.

I could envision myself employing that term in an effort to describe a well built womoan's derriere, but that's just me.

The word is best used to describe vegetation, not a woman's backside or any other part of her figure. In fact, if Toot did mean it as a description of her figure, that's perhaps even ruder. I don't think she'd appreciate having her figure described to a bunch of weather junkies via the Internet.

Mica Vim Voot comes off as a lunatic, to be honest, but his posts are hilarious.

Agreed.

TB and Wiz are lushes.

We'll have to agree to disagree....I respect your point of view, though...I get it.

:wub:

Definition of LUSH

1 a : growing vigorously especially with luxuriant foliage <lush grass> b : lavishly productive: as (1) : fertile (2) : thriving (3) : characterized by abundance : plentiful (4) : prosperous, profitable

2 a : savory, delicious b : appealing to the senses <the lush sounds of the orchestra> c : opulent, sumptuous <lush accommodations>lush·ly adverblush·ness noun

P.S. Just for the record, was it on purpose that you misquoted the phrase "expAnsive vocabulary" for the term "expEnsive vocabulary?" Just curious.. :popcorn:

Look at the far East Japan, interesting tracks on the dual cyclones, perhaps hints on the East Coast? One thing for certain SNE folks, get the wooleys out, fall enters with bang in ten days. Look for the AO and NAO to plunge. Today is the first day in a week the trees aremoving in the wind here, kind of nervous with all the cracked trees around my hood.

goes to show you how much of a threat Katia is when we are discussing the vagaries of the English language in her thread.

ITs

im going to start banning people for saying he/she regarding a tropical system

but I don't think it can be used that way...I looked online and the only forms of the slang were a noun and an intransitive verb...not an adjective.

:huh:

Why are you telling me this? I'm not the who recommends using it that way. In fact, I wrote that I think it's terrible English.

"Lush" when applied to a person means a drunk. Any noun in the English language can be used an adjective to modify another noun-- for example:

"China" is generally a noun-- but in this sentence, it's an adjective:

"Hillary Clinton expressed concerns about the previous administration's China policy."

Analogs are overused to begin with. Trying to simplify the world...

They can be helpful though. Irene didn't have much of an upper air analog with it so it was difficult to forecast its path...I thought it would be a bit east of what it actually was because of typical model bias of underdoing the westerlies as the storm gains latitude, however, the westerlies were much weaker than usual in that storm and the Atlantic ridge was really strong...both factors kept the track anomalously close to the coast as it gained latitude.

I think what gets most people into trouble with analogs is they try and match the sensible wx up when often the analog might be for upper air, not the surface conditions. (i.e., if someone says the upper air analog looks like the 2005-2006 winter, some weenies in NYC will automatically think they will get a 20"+ storm when that's not what the poster means at all)

I was in the newspaper business for a while, and I think "lush" can be used as an adjective to describe something attractive. It's the noun that has the derogatory denotation of drinking excessively. Not that I'm saying Vim Toot should be describing his wife's figure on a weather forum, but he's a lunatic, right? And it's September and there's not much else to discuss.

:huh:

Why are you telling me this? I'm not the who recommends using it that way. In fact, I wrote that I think it's terrible English.

"Lush" when applied to a person means a drunk. Any noun in the English language can be used an adjective to modify another noun-- for example:

"China" is generally a noun-- but in this sentence, it's an adjective:

"Hillary Clinton expressed concerns about the previous administration's China policy."

I know you aren't...you were using the slang in an adjectival form which I've never seen used...and doesn't seem to have support. Do you know for a fact that the proper "lush" cannot be used to describe a person? Maybe it's atypical...and clumsy...but it doesn't have to be wrong by the rules.

They can be helpful though. Irene didn't have much of an upper air analog with it so it was difficult to forecast its path...I thought it would be a bit east of what it actually was because of typical model bias of underdoing the westerlies as the storm gains latitude, however, the westerlies were much weaker than usual in that storm and the Atlantic ridge was really strong...both factors kept the track anomalously close to the coast as it gained latitude.

I think what gets most people into trouble with analogs is they try and match the sensible wx up when often the analog might be for upper air, not the surface conditions. (i.e., if someone says the upper air analog looks like the 2005-2006 winter, some weenies in NYC will automatically think they will get a 20"+ storm when that's not what the poster means at all)

Good points, but I still think most people misuse analogs. I don't disagree that there is some use but how much is certainly up for debate. If we had 10,000 years of analogs I might feel a bit different, though knowing how people operate in these places I'd guess many would still run toward the analogs that support their argument whether or not they are legit.

Definition of LUSH

1 a : growing vigorously especially with luxuriant foliage <lush grass> b : lavishly productive: as (1) : fertile (2) : thriving (3) : characterized by abundance : plentiful (4) : prosperous, profitable

2 a : savory, delicious b : appealing to the senses <the lush sounds of the orchestra> c : opulent, sumptuous <lush accommodations>lush·ly adverblush·ness noun

P.S. Just for the record, was it on purpose that you misquoted the phrase "expAnsive vocabulary" for the term "expEnsive vocabulary?" Just curious.. :popcorn:

iPad autocorrect-- fixed!

We all know the meanings of "lush". The point is that word is used to describe *objects* when those meanings are intended. If he wants to comment on his wife's rear end, her breasts, or her how well her uterus works-- all of which I consider highly inappropriate in a weather discussion, by the way-- then there are words for that. I am going to buy Toot a thesaurus for Chanukah.

Archived