• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z models 12.7.10

Ian

some pretty good differences at 500 by 126.. vort further south and still sorta digging

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_500_126m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep....fs_500_132m.gif

the end result for the east may not be much different i guess

True w/both statements. Vort is a good 100-150 miles futher south. Not sure end game will change though.

Low is further south through 126, probably won't matter though.

problem is the trough is still about to go negative so the low may be a bit s/e but it doesnt matter much in the end at least out in these parts

problem is the trough is still about to go negative so the low may be a bit s/e but it doesnt matter much in the end at least out in these parts

Folks in southern Indiana are loving this run...but how does a storm cut straight up the Apps? That's gotta be pretty rare no? This storm looks exactly like the one we just had!

Folks in southern Indiana are loving this run...but how does a storm cut straight up the Apps? That's gotta be pretty rare no? This storm looks exactly like the one we just had!

I think they typically ride one side or the other. I'd favor just west still with what the GFS shows... But maybe it is 'trending' east.

I noticed that too, and I can remember reading met discussions many times that always said that wasn't likely or common. One side or the other. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

Big differences this run. Thought it was going to try to transfer to the coast, but it doesn't. I think this just shows that it's still a long way out there and we probably won't know for quite some time.

Its not good for us. Even if it pops a coastal its gonna be to late for NOVA. Look at the 850's. We may see some light snow on the back side. but we know how that works out usually.

Reminds me of one of those late 1800's blizzards in the history books.... Rain out in front of it then next thing you know white-out and a massive temp drop. Take AR/TN/KY for example on this run.

Looks Decent for Me. I am in Central Indiana. Southern Indiana gets the best snow. I still think when this thing goes negative tilt, it will take the surface low further north-west. That would bring the heavy snow band from STL to IND over to DAY & CMH. We shall see. This looks to be an awesome storm!!!

Reminds me of one of those late 1800's blizzards in the history books.... Rain out in front of it then next thing you know white-out and a massive temp drop. Take AR/TN/KY for example on this run.

i can sorta see that.. i have the 1899 storm looped somewhere. these types of systems seem to become uber wind makers. someone could very well see blizzard conditions from it should it come to pass near shown.

Doesn't take that much more of a shift to the E to get the I-81 corridor in PA into a snow/ice storm..

Forecast soundings still show the possibility of a descent hit of ice in western Virginia. The cold air is fairly shallow, but verbatim this would be a high end light to moderate ice event I think, especially as get up closer to New Market and and Stephen's City along 81.

Staunton, VA (SHD) Soundings for 132 and 144 hours respectively:

post-2030-0-22516100-1291699920.gif

post-2030-0-01587300-1291699925.gif

1000-850mb thickness values also support the idea of ice in the same area. For reference, the soundings are for a little west and north of Charlottesville, VA and a little north of Staunton, VA.

132 hours:

post-2030-0-65229400-1291699938.gif

138 hours:

post-2030-0-43433900-1291699947.gif

144 hours:

post-2030-0-35722400-1291699952.gif

op GFS at the surface and H5 over the past 24 hours, still an inherent amount of discontinuity... Triangulation at the surface would yield a reflection around central VA, H5 map would tend to agree, although displacing that to the nne a tad, around Harrisburg PA.

The 00Z GFS surface track is probably wrong...the GFS has frequently done this in the past running lows directly up the spine of the Appalachians...every now and then a storm does take that extraordinarily rare track....3/8/09 is one example of a storm which did...but take the position of the surface low at 144 hours on the 00Z GFS and move it 75 miles west or east and one of those two is likely to happen...I'm leaning more towards the western solution now.....the 00Z GFS is a dream for synoptic snow lovers in Buffalo...ask any weather knowledgeable Buffalo resident how often they get significant snows from a major east coast low and they'll tell .you not very often...even one that tracks straight north across NYC/ALB is usually a hair too far east for them.

Archived