• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Hurricane Irene Model and Forecast Discussion

I've been following the NOGAPS and it has been consistently west on or just off the Delmarva and into southern NJ for a good 4-5 runs straight now.

With the NoGaps and UK a shade east of the 12z Euro, and the GFS with the GGEM, a UK/GFS compromise wouldn't be a bad one....probably a NJ scrape, and a western LI LF...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a quick glance at it, you win.

<br><br>This is interesting though, both 0z NAM and GFS are quicker.

Im not sure any hurricanes that hit LI or SNE were moving slower than 25 mph at landfall...the initial model projections seemed a bit too slow. Bob may have been the slowest of the bunch moving at I think 25 mph when it passed Montauk. Gloria I think was moving at 30-35 mph.

Took a quick glance at it, you're right.

This is interesting though, both 0z NAM and GFS are quicker.

And if you glance at the SREF members, you indeed see a correlation with speed....slightly slower..a bit more west...a touch faster and a bit east....not a perfect correlation, but probably something to keep in mind.

I'm going to catch a few zz's....I'll wake up to some coffee, the Euro, and a strong Cat 3 Irene!!

With the NoGaps and UK a shade east of the 12z Euro, and the GFS with the GGEM, a UK/GFS compromise wouldn't be a bad one....probably a NJ scrape, and a western LI LF...

Sounds like Bertha or Belle.... basically ground zero right here. I've heard NHC say that a compromise solution is the most accurate.

Irene has been deviating to the right of the official NHC track all evening. Before the 03z track update the storm started moving almost straight north, which was a right side deviation from the previous track, so at 3z, NHC made the track more northerly and the storm has started moving more to the right. NHC track is toward 350 or 360 and the storm is moving closer to 20 or 30 degrees. Seems to be a lot more than a wobble and this may have serious ramifications on future track projections.

At this link, click on the "trop pts" at the top to see the official track.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t2/flash-vis.html

This picture shows the deviation that was already happening to the previous track before the 03z update. This is more than a "wobble".

post-2744-0-44200200-1314336767.gif

Irene has been deviating to the right of the official NHC track all evening. Before the 03z track update the storm started moving almost straight north, which was a right side deviation from the previous track, so at 3z, NHC made the track more northerly and the storm has started moving more to the right. NHC track is toward 350 or 360 and the storm is moving closer to 20 or 30 degrees. Seems to be a lot more than a wobble and this may have serious ramifications on future track projections.

At this link, click on the "trop pts" at the top to see the official track.

http://www.ssd.noaa..../flash-vis.html

This picture shows the deviation that was already happening to the previous track before the 03z update. This is more than a "wobble".

post-2744-0-44200200-1314336767.gif

What makes you think it isn't a "wobble", especially in an ERC coming up? The plot further up is due north so I don't see why it can't avg out over time given when the shift occured and how abrupt it seemed to be.

What makes you think it isn't a "wobble", especially in an ERC coming up? The plot further up is due north so I don't see why it can't avg out over time.

It's continued over several hours now. Some of the deviation will probably be cancelled out eventually, but it's notable enough at this time for it to be a factor in the full track up the coast IMO

What makes you think it isn't a "wobble", especially in an ERC coming up? The plot further up is due north so I don't see why it can't avg out over time given when the shift occured and how abrupt it seemed to be.

Even so, it seems to be following the GFS perfectly which ultimately sends this 25-50 miles east of the current NHC track. We know that it's not going to go out to sea.

It is going on too long to be a wobble from my experience. Such "wobbles" in past years using exactly the same method to check them, have amounted to large track changes from the models and we humans too. Just my two cents, but don't fall in love with any of the current track forecasts!

Probably unrelated, but the new HWRF misses Long Island to the east and goes straight into RI.

Watch the GFS track too... it showed several sways back and forth just e or w of true north. I really don't think this is going to matter a whole heck of a lot. It happens with every storm. Plus the fact the storm seems be entraining a bit of dry air in its western quadrant. If this is still east of north come sunrise id start calling it a true trend

It is going on too long to be a wobble from my experience. Such "wobbles" in past years using exactly the same method to check them, have amounted to large track changes from the models and we humans too. Just my two cents, but don't fall in love with any of the current track forecasts!

Probably unrelated, but the new HWRF misses Long Island to the east and goes straight into RI.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/get-goes?satellite=GOES-E%20CONUS&lat=27&lon=-77&info=ir&zoom=1&width=1024&height=800&type=Animation&quality=90&numframes=10&palette=spect.pal

Not looking at this link it is almost exactly where it should be. Be careful when looking at IR it can be very deceiving I think what you have noticed was an illusion in the eye structure

It is going on too long to be a wobble from my experience. Such "wobbles" in past years using exactly the same method to check them, have amounted to large track changes from the models and we humans too. Just my two cents, but don't fall in love with any of the current track forecasts! Probably unrelated, but the new HWRF misses Long Island to the east and goes straight into RI.
I agree. That huge wobble could mean something. But new models won't pick it up until 6 or 12z.

No changes it looks like to the 2am track.

ECMWF Landfall At Hatteras NC maybe a tiny bit SW but right there basically, heading NNE. Initialized taking the "N" movement into account it seems.

Also has it a much deeper storm although it'd pressure forecast is way too low.

the EC also takes it to trump's hotel, snooki's place, and i think heads to vince mc'mahon's office before heading to the berkshires. interesting track, and thankfully more east than yesterday's 00Z run going from philly to albany.

the EC also takes it to trump's hotel, snooki's place, and i think heads to vince mc'mahon's office before heading to the berkshires. interesting track, and thankfully more east than yesterday's 00Z run going from philly to albany.

Nasty track there...

As for last nights 00z Run, At the same time NYC is hit harder this run and the storm is stronger as a result...pick your poison I guess? :P

Archived