christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest recon pass was E-W...

Pressure is up to 952mb. Max FL wind on the east side was 91kts and the max on the west side was 67kts.

Next mission takes off at 11:15PM EDT.

URNT12 KNHC 270254

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL092011

A. 27/02:34:10Z

B. 32 deg 32 min N

076 deg 52 min W

C. 700 mb 2679 m

D. 66 kt

E. 086 deg 44 nm

F. 171 deg 91 kt

G. 087 deg 67 nm

H. 952 mb

I. 10 C / 3051 m

J. 15 C / 3049 m

K. 11 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 7

O. 0.02 / 1 nm

P. AF308 2909A IRENE OB 20

MAX FL WIND 108 KT SE QUAD 22:47:20Z

DROPSONDE RELEASED NEAR MAX FL WIND INBOUND RECORDED 79 KTS AT SPLASH PT

Those are some nice looking bands to the SE of the storm

I would definitely say it is looks better on radar and satellite now that it did several hours ago. Eye is somewhat visible on IR again, with some quite cold tops on the east side of the eye. Now seeing some 40 dBZ in the northern part of the eyewall of KMHX, which is pretty impressive given how far away it still is and how much the radar's "beam" is having to go through before getting to the eye.

As others have said, can't envision much strengthening at this point - but holding it seems to be holding its own for now.

MHX_loop.gif

Here this tracks the center nicely. The base reflectivity is like a weenie mood ring, it appears to be moving in whatever direction you want it to move in. It's actually pretty funny how weather radars are so prone to Hallucination, or maybe it's just the motion of the atmosphere that is so confusing.

Shear has let up a little..I first noticed this a few hours ago when the upper cloud fragments slowed down going west to east over the SW Quad...also it doesn't seem as squashed on the SW side as it was 12-18 hours ago

Shear maps form the universiry of WI confirm this only 10kts over the center and 5-10kts SE quad...there is more north 20kts but the lower shear hole has been moving north with the storm the past 6 hours

dry air is the main issue...but it seems to be mixing some of that out in the core over the warm Gulf stream

Shear has let up a little..I first noticed this a few hours ago when the upper cloud fragments slowed down going west to east over the SW Quad...also it doesn't seem as squashed on the SW side as it was 12-18 hours ago

Shear maps form the universiry of WI confirm this only 10kts over the center and 5-10kts SE quad...there is more north 20kts but the lower shear hole has been moving north with the storm the past 6 hours

dry air is the main issue...but it seems to be mixing some of that out in the core over the warm Gulf stream

I still think its pretty unlikely we see any appreciable increase in winds before landfall... maintaining 85 knots is certainly still a possibility since there was a dropsonde that had 79 knot surface winds not too long ago from the last AF mission. However there has been no observed drop in pressure since earlier this afternoon, as it continues to hover in the 950's.

I still think its pretty unlikely we see any appreciable increase in winds before landfall... maintaining 85 knots is certainly still a possibility since there was a dropsonde that had 79 knot surface winds not too long ago from the last AF mission. However there has been no observed drop in pressure since earlier this afternoon, as it continues to hover in the 950's.

It may not gain intensity, but I think people will be surprised how well this maintains much of its intensity as it goes north. It will probably still be a minimal hurricane up here. These large TCs do not weaken rapidly. I guess it's because their energy is distributed over a large area, therefore a significant part of their circulation is still over the Ocean, even if it's just inland.

You said sizeable jump westward... thats where I am confused

For a system that is moving at 20 degrees and suppose to only be to 76.4W by 8pm, it is rather sizable. Although I suppose with the time period it is not as sizable as I might have made it seen, I made that post more so in response for the .3W jump between the midnight position estimate and the 1am advisory.

New recon mission. First pass is SW-NE...

Pressure still holding at 952mb, as Dan mentions above. Max FL wind in the SW quad was 62kts and the max in the NE quad was 100kts.

URNT12 KNHC 270619

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL092011

A. 27/05:57:10Z

B. 33 deg 22 min N

076 deg 35 min W

C. 700 mb 2679 m

D. 54 kt

E. 221 deg 73 nm

F. 295 deg 61 kt

G. 212 deg 35 nm

H. 952 mb

I. 15 C / 3043 m

J. 16 C / 3044 m

K. 7 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 07

O. 0.02 / 1 nm

P. AF306 3109A IRENE OB 03

MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 93 KT NE QUAD 06:10:40Z (100kts recorded after VDM was sent.)

MAX FL TEMP 17 C 212 / 9 NM FROM FL CNTR

Archived