CTWeatherFan

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which month was better?

2. 2. Which Storm was Better?

• January 22-23, 2005
    • January 11-12. 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
  3. 3. Which Winter was Better?

OMG. You guys are such total weenies. What's next Battlestar Galactica vs. Star Trek : Which ranks higher? lol Edit: Obviously Star Trek.... not even close really.

meh BSG was more of a space opera-- ST was a true innovator :)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any from the Cape, unfortunately. I think this pic was taken by Phil, however.

And ouch to Kevin.

And ouch to me too lol-- how is it with these kinds of storms, there is usually a huge gap over this area and then to our south, southern Jersey gets in on the heavy snow too?

IMBY, 1/11 was great. Either of the storms would get my vote. Feb and March were pretty blah this past winter, unless you are excited about looking at collapsed buildings. 04-05 was great east of here, and just not so bad around here. For wall to wall winter, anyone for 95-96?

It obviously depends on metrics. If you include the period from 12/26 to 1/26...I think the Cape would surpass CT on some levels. Perhaps not snowpack longevity, but you had one storm that dumped 18-23" or so...then another that dumped 28-38"...all in 1 month! Parts of the Cape made a run for 75", then you throw in the bomb on 12/26 and 1/22.

Yes. That period on the Cape was more anomalous and more impressive to watch than this January...and I was very impressed by this January.

Nah, seeing 40 + otg and multiple building collapses wins, CC was impressive, I visited, but not as impressive as NE CT WRI last year.

CC was very impressive, and if I had lived there, I would probably vote for that. But it was a wild couple weeks in these parts...the damage was not just from collapses but from massive ice dams everywhere. Add in the massive amounts of money spent clearing off roofs...it was pretty wild.

OK, fair enough.

The snow pack was maybe 1 in 50 for some areas though. I am mostly referring to southern areas near the coast where in general snow pack is pretty rare aside from right after storms.

It was definitely extremely impressive. Don't confuse me saying that January 2005 on the Cape was more impressive as saying that I didn't think January 2011 in CT was impressive. It was. Its just that if you had to pick one, I'd pick 2005 on the Cape as being the more anomalous, impressive period.

Its like comparing December 1992 to December 1996 here in ORH...December 1992 takes the cake, but it doesn't mean the 26 inches we got in December 1996 was not impressive.

It was definitely extremely impressive. Don't confuse me saying that January 2005 on the Cape was more impressive as saying that I didn't think January 2011 in CT was impressive. It was. Its just that if you had to pick one, I'd pick 2005 on the Cape as being the more anomalous, impressive period.

Its like comparing December 1992 to December 1996 here in ORH...December 1992 takes the cake, but it doesn't mean the 26 inches we got in December 1996 was not impressive.

But both lose to April 1, 1997 :P

But both lose to April 1, 1997 :P

'92 was superior for most of the ORH area, especially the hills. I think 4/1/97 maxed out around 3' in Milford, MA ( SE part of ORH county) but that is still below the max from '92 where there was well over 3' in some areas of ORH county and the berks

Great poll....all easy choices for me, on the interior cp nnw of Boston.....last winter and it isn't close due to it's historic snowfall retention, coupled with large events.....despite the fact that 2005 accumulated over 1' more snowfall and I got 4.5" more in the Jan blizz, than in the Jan 12th event.

Strongly agree. That was a once in 100 year event. Hurricane (or near) forece winds with 3 feet of snow.

I work with a guy who's a snow lover. Grew up in upper MI where 300/year is the average. He was asking me about Boston. I told him to lower his expectations lol....

This I agree with, but imby it's an easy choice...2011.

Yeah the snow depths and how long it lasted at those deep depths was unheralded this past winter. Over 30 inches OTG for weeks and weeks. Just insane. We do well overall with snowpack retention....the Cape has trouble hanging onto snow OTG...Too many things can go wrong down there for snowpack retention

Dude, you're almost trying to change this into which area is better for winter lovers...obviously you beat the cape...but your landscape will never, ever rival appearence of the cape's in Jan 2005...sorry....neither will mine.

Dude, you're almost trying to change this into which area is better for winter lovers...obviously you beat the cape...but your landscape will never, ever rival appearence of the cape's in Jan 2005...sorry....neither will mine.

He'll be back to the typical 14" of snow, with snow piled halfway up the minvan's hubcaps, before you know it.

Archived