CTWeatherFan

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which month was better?

2. 2. Which Storm was Better?

• January 22-23, 2005
    • January 11-12. 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
  3. 3. Which Winter was Better?

Another winter that would be right up there but not as good as 10-11 was either 06-07 or 07-08. Maybe will can set me straight on this one too so all of my winter memories are in their rightful places in time. The winter just would not end like end of feb most of march into the first week of april seemed like we got a nickle and dime event every 3-5 days for a solid month plus.

I remember everyone around was genuinely hating winter praying for it to end while I enjoyed every minute of their misery. I'd welcome a link to climate data too if it would save you the trouble if it doesn't come to mind.

Jerry/Phil its nice to hear that from boston points south and east to cape does get its epic winters as rarely as it does the further toward the islands you go. They really deserve it after changing to rain or having their totals consistently lowered during storms most of the time. I never knew they had a 10 foot plus winter that is amazing for anyplace even 1500 feet nevermind 15.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another winter that would be right up there but not as good as 10-11 was either 06-07 or 07-08. Maybe will can set me straight on this one too so all of my winter memories are in their rightful places in time. The winter just would not end like end of feb most of march into the first week of april seemed like we got a nickle and dime event every 3-5 days for a solid month plus.

I remember everyone around was genuinely hating winter praying for it to end while I enjoyed every minute of their misery. I'd welcome a link to climate data too if it would save you the trouble if it doesn't come to mind.

Jerry/Phil its nice to hear that from boston points south and east to cape does get its epic winters as rarely as it does the further toward the islands you go. They really deserve it after changing to rain or having their totals consistently lowered during storms most of the time. I never knew they had a 10 foot plus winter that is amazing for anyplace even 1500 feet nevermind 15.

'07-'08 up by you. '06-'07 sucked until February. '07-'08 was pretty decent for BOS-ORH in SNE but it was really awesome up by you. Massive latitude gradient that winter.Probably the most latitude gradient on record around here.

'07-'08 up by you. '06-'07 sucked until February. '07-'08 was pretty decent for BOS-ORH in SNE but it was really awesome up by you. Massive latitude gradient that winter.Probably the most latitude gradient on record around here.

Yeah makes me think it would have given this past years snowpack a run for its money if it happened in the heart of winter instead of toward the end when the sun is much higher in the sky and out for a longer period. So it wasn't as good in your backyard huh? That's too bad because it was great up here but I like it when everyone is happy which is one reason why last year will be tough to beat.

Yeah makes me think it would have given this past years snowpack a run for its money if it happened in the heart of winter instead of toward the end when the sun is much higher in the sky and out for a longer period. So it wasn't as good in your backyard huh? That's too bad because it was great up here but I like it when everyone is happy which is one reason why last year will be tough to beat.

Not sure which winter you are talking about. '06-'07 was terrible until February, but still wasnt that great up there...maybe near average.

'07-'08 was amazing up there and you should have accumulated a pretty nice snow pack at some point. We had a terrible January torch, but up in MHT you had more snow than here. I still view that winter as good (see sig)...I had 79.5" which is like 10" above climo. I liked that winter. I could have done without the thaws, but the number of events made it interesting.

Not sure which winter you are talking about. '06-'07 was terrible until February, but still wasnt that great up there...maybe near average.

'07-'08 was amazing up there and you should have accumulated a pretty nice snow pack at some point. We had a terrible January torch, but up in MHT you had more snow than here. I still view that winter as good (see sig)...I had 79.5" which is like 10" above climo. I liked that winter. I could have done without the thaws, but the number of events made it interesting.

I was talking about the latitude gradient one that was good from bos-orh but very good up by me.

But snowpack was definitely good. Not complaining but you know last year is gonna be hard to beat.

No, not even close. '03-'04 was a neutral after a Nino and '04-'05 was a weak Nino.

Weak Nino is a cleanup ENSO state for SNE. I think Boston averages like 10-15" above their mean during weak Ninos but the sample size is like 7 years. However, the results are still impressive.

'04-'05 will always be remembered for what happened on or near Cape Cod. They turned into Nova Scotia that winter...absolutely hammered.

I'm trying to remember how many winters there were where NYC did well and other areas both to the north and south got screwed-- and off the top of my head, the ones I come up with are 48-49 (the year after the big 47-48 winter, similar to how 03-04 came after 02-03), 03-04 and 05-06. I remember in 05-06 NYC got more snow than parts of Maine, although you guys did really well in the Dec 2005 storm, NYC got a huge dump in Feb 2006.

Cape Cod's winter that year might have been more anomalous to what happened in the Mid-Atlantic (near DC/BWI) in 2009-2010 that year. Its close though, but I think the Cape might take the cake. They average 30-35" per year and we saw some amounts in the 100-120" range near the CC Canal...with more like 75-95" on the mid to outer Cape (higher end of that range near mid-Cape and lower on outer Cape)

Yes, I think it was too. I probably wont live to see it (but then again who knows) but under the ideal winter conditions, I believe NYC is capable of eclipsing the 100" mark also. I believe Don mentioned we came close just a couple of years before official records started being kept back in the 1860s, and with today's changed snowfall measurement techniques, what was 90 inches back then should easily be over 100" today.

Yes, I think it was too. I probably wont live to see it (but then again who knows) but under the ideal winter conditions, I believe NYC is capable of eclipsing the 100" mark also. I believe Don mentioned we came close just a couple of years before official records started being kept back in the 1860s, and with today's changed snowfall measurement techniques, what was 90 inches back then should easily be over 100" today.

NYC will break 100" at some point. Probably not in our lifetimes, but it will happen. One year they will go insane and break it. Cape Cod did...but they had a better chance anyway since they average more than NYC...but it was still really anomalous. Cape Cod has a higher variance anyway because of their longitude. NYC is tucked back to the west...but Cape Cod sticks out so far. Its hard for NYC to get those storms because they cannot just use the ocean quite as easily as Cape Cod. The ocean can be a friend or a huge enemy which is what Cape Cod deals with each year. In 2004-2005 it was a friend.

January '05 had the best timing when it came to storms. The NAO for the first half or so was + and just when the atmosphere came close to tipping over to slop, the storm ended. I busted on the + side for 2 or 3 of those smaller storms that month before the big one came on the 22nd.

January '05 had the best timing when it came to storms. The NAO for the first half or so was + and just when the atmosphere came close to tipping over to slop, the storm ended. I busted on the + side for 2 or 3 of those smaller storms that month before the big one came on the 22nd.

The storm that really topped the winter was 2/28-3/01. That was progged to be an interior deal just west of the I-95 corridor. They kept trending slightly colder and colder with each run until that day when warnings were adjusted slightly east, but still not near se mass and the Cape. That storm gave me a 6hr 32F snowbomb where the rates were more intense then what I saw in the January blizzard. It was a convective bomb. Will loves that storm.

They defintely don't avg way under 30". In fact, much of cstl pym county is close to BOS avg except as you head down to PYM.

THat's cool, I'm just curious to see what the true long-term avg is. I may be thinking pre-96 stone age, since then I'm sure their averages have climbed at least a couple inches.

THat's cool, I'm just curious to see what the true long-term avg is. I may be thinking pre-96 stone age, since then I'm sure their averages have climbed at least a couple inches.

Some of the co-op's down there aren't all that reliable, but I think Will said the East Wareham one avg's just under 40" I believe.

Some of the co-op's down there aren't all that reliable, but I think Will said the East Wareham one avg's just under 40" I believe.

ha...that's an understatement.

reliable averages down here are pretty tough to find but i think something like 26-28" out near the very elbow at CHH to more like 34-36" at the canal. there's definitely a big range from east to west.

ha...that's an understatement.

reliable averages down here are pretty tough to find but i think something like 26-28" out near the very elbow at CHH to more like 34-36" at the canal. there's definitely a big range from east to west.

I'm skeptical of that low on the Cape. ACK averages 29.5" per year....though they discontinued records there in 1980 so they didn't accumulate the putrid 1980s on their resume, but even accounting for that, you'd have a hard time getting ACK under 27-28". Perhaps the extreme outer Cape does about as poorly, but the extra latitude makes me pause. PYM averages 36.6" per year.

Do folks in CT even have to answer this? It' a no brainer

No kidding. At least for me, I had 56.2" of snow in Jan. '11 which was more than Mt Washington recieves or received that month. It blows away any previous month by like 20" (at least for the past 25 years). I'll take that over any January, any day!

I know other areas were different....

I'm skeptical of that low on the Cape. ACK averages 29.5" per year....though they discontinued records there in 1980 so they didn't accumulate the putrid 1980s on their resume, but even accounting for that, you'd have a hard time getting ACK under 27-28". Perhaps the extreme outer Cape does about as poorly, but the extra latitude makes me pause. PYM averages 36.6" per year.

yeah when i was saying the elbow i literally mean out near CHH light/monomoy - like on the water where we were. there are so many events when i have people who live south of 28 in CHH and harwichport area telling me it's raining or they've only got slush when just a mile or two away they are plowing. there can be a very crazy gradient down that way in any of the marginal situations.

regardless, the co-op data sucks and it makes me angry every time i look back at the old sheets and see that someone failed to stick a ruler in the snow. lol.

Yeah there is no argument for CT. Hands down this year. You would not have had fun during January '05 when Phil's weenie mobile was literally buried.

I still can't get the images from the Cape out of my mind after that storm. It looked like Labrador. They would have laughed at Kevin's snowbanks.

Anyone thoughts on the PVD-BOS area - compare Jan 05 versus '10, and winter 05 vs 10?

iirc we had around 103" in North Attleboro in 04-05. I don't think '10-11 quite lived up to those amounts and the disappointing Feb-Mar would have probably made me lean towards 04-05 being the all-around better winter. Last winter did feature an all-around indestructible glacier, something 2004-05 lacked.

Anyone thoughts on the PVD-BOS area - compare Jan 05 versus '10, and winter 05 vs 10?

iirc we had around 103" in North Attleboro in 04-05. I don't think '10-11 quite lived up to those amounts and the disappointing Feb-Mar would have probably made me lean towards 04-05 being the all-around better winter. Last winter did feature an all-around indestructible glacier, something 2004-05 lacked.

I could see areas just sw of BOS possibly liking this January better than January '05. That area got hit very hard during 1/11-1/12 and 1/26-1/27 and also had one hell of a snowpack. BOS is a toss up I think. I suppose if you like the big bliizards, then Janurary '05 might win.

I could see areas just sw of BOS possibly liking this January better than January '05. That area got hit very hard during 1/11-1/12 and 1/26-1/27 and also had one hell of a snowpack. BOS is a toss up I think. I suppose if you like the big bliizards, then Janurary '05 might win.

Yeah, that was an intense stretch. 04-05 was kinda blizzard-centric, a good winter otherwise but definitely not a gem without the blizzard.

No kidding. At least for me, I had 56.2" of snow in Jan. '11 which was more than Mt Washington recieves or received that month. It blows away any previous month by like 20" (at least for the past 25 years). I'll take that over any January, any day!

I know other areas were different....

It was the best, most naked time of my life. hands down. A month that dreams are made of

I still can't get the images from the Cape out of my mind after that storm. It looked like Labrador. They would have laughed at Kevin's snowbanks.

Do you have any pics from that storm on the Cape? I don't know why it's not ringing a bell for me. I just don't remember the snow being as deep as it was this winter any where in SNE except for '95-'96.

I don't know dude...We had close to 60 inches of snow in Jan..and none of it melted

They had limited snow OTG I think before the storm, but snowbanks were still there. Then, 3' of snow followed by another 5-8". Their snowpack may have topped yours briefly. Add to that, cars completely buried with drifts that literally went from the roofs of homes, to the ground. It was chaos.

Do you have any pics from that storm on the Cape? I don't know why it's not ringing a bell for me. I just don't remember the snow being as deep as it was this winter any where in SNE except for '95-'96.

I don't have any from the Cape, unfortunately. I think this pic was taken by Phil, however.

And ouch to Kevin.

Archived