CTWeatherFan

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which month was better?

2. 2. Which Storm was Better?

• January 22-23, 2005
    • January 11-12. 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
  3. 3. Which Winter was Better?

Since we're in the middle of the long doldrums of Summer, I figured I'd rekindle memories of two of the greatest snowfall periods in SNE history. I'm thinking January 2005 was probably better for Eastern SNE while January 2011 was probably better for Western SNE. However, I would gladly take both months (and winters) again in a heartbeat and I think most would agree with me on that.:snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

Note, for storms I only included the NESIS events.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 2011 definitely was my favorite winter month regarding snow of my life. Not because the storms were epic in my backyard but due to the fact very little melting went on throughout the month. I got more snow in the first storm listed but the second one yielded me a 34+ inch snowpack so there's that. Don't know when ill see that again but I hope its not another 30 years.

2004-05 hands down. Wall to wall winter and incidentally, 4th snowiest of all time for me. Snowed in November (3-6 right after Vets Day), snowed decently in December, epic January, great February and good March. 2010-11 doesn't hold a candle imho.

Was that a regionwide 1-3/3-6 or was it localized down where you are. I'm having a hard time remembering the last time it snowed in November. I'm pretty sure there was an inch or two that fell in the early 2000's in october and hung around for 2-3 days in shaded areas than coincided with that snow storm we had on may 21st which was the record for shortest period between first and last snow. If that was the year your refering to that would be a wall to wall winter. Always good to start early.

2004-05 hands down. Wall to wall winter and incidentally, 4th snowiest of all time for me. Snowed in November (3-6 right after Vets Day), snowed decently in December, epic January, great February and good March. 2010-11 doesn't hold a candle imho.

The poll was just for January though, so its not quite as clear cut. I still think its '05 for eastern areas, but I'd have to think about it for here. I'd take '04-'05 winter in a heartbeat too, but January is different.

The poll was just for January though, so its not quite as clear cut. I still think its '05 for eastern areas, but I'd have to think about it for here. I'd take '04-'05 winter in a heartbeat too, but January is different.

Will, do you know what year that I was refering to in my above post regarding shortest time in between measurable snowfalls? Or a link I could get from you to find info like that in the future instead of having to ask folks?

To be fair to Jerry there are three polls on this thread too. One of which does ask which winter was better 04/05 or 10/11.

Will, do you know what year that I was refering to in my above post regarding shortest time in between measurable snowfalls? Or a link I could get from you to find info like that in the future instead of having to ask folks?

You are thinking of May 18, 2002 to October 23, 2002...at least for the interior. Where are you? You have no location listed in your profile so I could not answer for your specific location.

To be fair to Jerry there are three polls on this thread too. One of which does ask which winter was better 04/05 or 10/11.

You are correct, I didn't see that so that was bad on my part. I went on the thread title. If you ar ejust going by one month, then it muddies the water a bit for Metro Boston westward...but I think for immediate Boston, January 2005 takes the cake...and of course anyone SE of BOS its not even close.

You are thinking of May 18, 2002 to October 23, 2002...at least for the interior. Where are you? You have no location listed in your profile so I could not answer for your specific location.

Oh. I thought I had put my location in there. Ill have to fix it. Bow nh now. Was in mht in 2002

Give me December 26-27 to January 26-27..... that's the best 30-32 day period I have ever seen in winter.

Give me December 26-27 to January 26-27..... that's the best 30-32 day period I have ever seen in winter.

Eastern New England might take '04-'05 anyway with that. Dec 26-27 2004 gave eastern New England a pretty big snowstorm...and Cape Cod got 16-25" in that. That season, places on the upper Cape got over 100" of snow.

You are correct, I didn't see that so that was bad on my part. I went on the thread title. If you ar ejust going by one month, then it muddies the water a bit for Metro Boston westward...but I think for immediate Boston, January 2005 takes the cake...and of course anyone SE of BOS its not even close.

Im sure you didn't mean any offense by it lol. So I take it a lot of the storms that year dumped heavier the further south and east you go? I know it was a nice winter that year. I remember one storm in the middle of december just came in as the total definition of wall of white like nothing to s+ in ten minutes. But where I was snow growth was poor so it ended up being a dense 9 inches. But stands out in my memory.

Eastern New England might take '04-'05 anyway with that. Dec 26-27 2004 gave eastern New England a pretty big snowstorm...and Cape Cod got 16-25" in that. That season, places on the upper Cape got over 100" of snow.

Wow, I remember that storm-- it skimmed us to the east-- we got a lot of storms that year that we were on the fringes of and we watched the radar backbuild towards us-- we had many 1-3 inch type snowfalls.

Im sure you didn't mean any offense by it lol. So I take it a lot of the storms that year dumped heavier the further south and east you go? I know it was a nice winter that year. I remember one storm in the middle of december just came in as the total definition of wall of white like nothing to s+ in ten minutes. But where I was snow growth was poor so it ended up being a dense 9 inches. But stands out in my memory.

You might be thinking of December 2003 with that storm. December 2004 didn't have any big storms up there.

Was that a regionwide 1-3/3-6 or was it localized down where you are. I'm having a hard time remembering the last time it snowed in November. I'm pretty sure there was an inch or two that fell in the early 2000's in october and hung around for 2-3 days in shaded areas than coincided with that snow storm we had on may 21st which was the record for shortest period between first and last snow. If that was the year your refering to that would be a wall to wall winter. Always good to start early.

What I remember was a general 3-6 in mid November...maybe 2nd or 3rd weekend? A Saturday night...perfect set up for widespread snow mostly in eastern MA. What you're referring to is 2002-03 and it was good and largely wall to wall but nothing like 2004-05 for my area.

Wow, I remember that storm-- it skimmed us to the east-- we got a lot of storms that year that we were on the fringes of and we watched the radar backbuild towards us-- we had many 1-3 inch type snowfalls.

Yeah that winter kept crushing SE New England and eastern New England as a whole. There were places near the Cape Cod canal that beat ORH that winter despite ORH getting 114.3" of snow. Places around Plymouth may have gotten more.

04-05 was the winter where the models almost always trended colder and snowier as we got closer to the event. Messenger did awesome that winter on WWBB. I cant remember whether it was 03-04 or 04-05 (or both) but we had a big lull in February, but winter came roaring back in March.

What I remember was a general 3-6 in mid November...maybe 2nd or 3rd weekend? A Saturday night...perfect set up for widespread snow mostly in eastern MA. What you're referring to is 2002-03 and it was good and largely wall to wall but nothing like 2004-05 for my area.

2002-03 was the big winter of the decade throughout the megalopolis, but in certain regions 04-05 was better. I even ranked 02-03 ahead of 10-11 because 02-03 was a much longer winter and the biggest storm was bigger.

04-05 was the winter where the models almost always trended colder and snowier as we got closer to the event. Messenger did awesome that winter on WWBB. I cant remember whether it was 03-04 or 04-05 (or both) but we had a big lull in February, but winter came roaring back in March.

'03-'04 had a big lull in Feb and it hit your area hard in March. It sort of came back for New England but not like down there except for ACK. That winter was NYC's winter of their dreams. Both New England and PHL southward got screwed a bit while they did well. Probably won't happen again in our lifetimes. We were so cold that winter, just not enough snow.

The coldest 3 days period on record for ORH (going back to the 1800s) is January 2004 and its actually not that close.

'03-'04 had a big lull in Feb and it hit your area hard in March. It sort of came back for New England but not like down there except for ACK. That winter was NYC's winter of their dreams. Both New England and PHL southward got screwed a bit while they did well. Probably won't happen again in our lifetimes. We were so cold that winter, just not enough snow.

The coldest 3 days period on record for ORH (going back to the 1800s) is January 2004 and its actually not that close.

Were 03-04 and 04-05 back to back Weak La Nina's Will?

You might be thinking of December 2003 with that storm. December 2004 didn't have any big storms up there.

I'm gonna take your word on that. You know your stats when it comes to dates. Being in MHT good snowfalls were hard to come by so the few of them there were they should be imprinted in my mind but I didn't get real serious into stats and the whole weather as a hobby thing till I got my own pc. Before that it was the weather channel and wmur as sad as that is lol.

Were 03-04 and 04-05 back to back Weak La Nina's Will?

No, not even close. '03-'04 was a neutral after a Nino and '04-'05 was a weak Nino.

Weak Nino is a cleanup ENSO state for SNE. I think Boston averages like 10-15" above their mean during weak Ninos but the sample size is like 7 years. However, the results are still impressive.

'04-'05 will always be remembered for what happened on or near Cape Cod. They turned into Nova Scotia that winter...absolutely hammered.

Cape Cod's winter that year might have been more anomalous to what happened in the Mid-Atlantic (near DC/BWI) in 2009-2010 that year. Its close though, but I think the Cape might take the cake. They average 30-35" per year and we saw some amounts in the 100-120" range near the CC Canal...with more like 75-95" on the mid to outer Cape (higher end of that range near mid-Cape and lower on outer Cape)

Archived