31 members have voted

1. 1. Which month was better?

2. 2. Which Storm was Better?

• January 22-23, 2005
    • January 11-12. 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
  3. 3. Which Winter was Better?

And ouch to Kevin.

Ouch to me too! I remember that places out there got 3' but I had around 12". It was a good blizzard in that the following morning it got down to -17°F.

FWIW, here's a picture of my driveway back in January. That's a 6' truck. There's also a picture of the snow banks along the roads...you can see a semi coming down the road the snow is about half way up it.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any pics from that storm on the Cape? I don't know why it's not ringing a bell for me. I just don't remember the snow being as deep as it was this winter any where in SNE except for '95-'96.

i've got a bunch - have to scan 'em though.

it was without a doubt the worst snowstorm this area has seen in many decades.

hours and hours of S+ with essentially 0 visibility and NE winds gusting to 50-70 mph. it was insane.

the snowtotals were ridiculous...but the wind:

...BARNSTABLE COUNTY...

SANDWICH 83.0 1255 PM 1/23 SKYWARN

BARNSTABLE 72.0 321 AM 1/23 SKYWARN

PROVINCETOWN 67.0 735 AM 1/23 PVC AWOS

HYANNIS 66.0 1052 AM 1/23 HYA ASOS

FALMOUTH - EAST 62.0 905 AM 1/23 SKYWARN

CHATHAM 60.0 1029 AM 1/23 CQX ASOS

think about that - all those ASOS sites pulling those numbers.

Ouch to me too! I remember that places out there got 3' but I had around 12". It was a good blizzard in that the following morning it got down to -17°F.

FWIW, here's a picture of my driveway back in January. That's a 6' truck. There's also a picture of the snow banks along the roads...you can see a semi coming down the road the snow is about half way up it.

Yeah our snowbanks def. beat them..no doubt.

But they may have had more OTG briefly

i've got a bunch - have to scan 'em though.

it was without a doubt the worst snowstorm this area has seen in many decades.

hours and hours of S+ with essentially 0 visibility and NE winds gusting to 50-70 mph. it was insane.

the snowtotals were ridiculous...but the wind:

...BARNSTABLE COUNTY...

SANDWICH 83.0 1255 PM 1/23 SKYWARN

BARNSTABLE 72.0 321 AM 1/23 SKYWARN

PROVINCETOWN 67.0 735 AM 1/23 PVC AWOS

HYANNIS 66.0 1052 AM 1/23 HYA ASOS

FALMOUTH - EAST 62.0 905 AM 1/23 SKYWARN

CHATHAM 60.0 1029 AM 1/23 CQX ASOS

think about that - all those ASOS sites pulling those numbers.

That's OK...I found some online.

I can see why it was so bad....we had a taste of that in the Dec. storm with the wind, but I don't think we had anything over 65mph. Sounds like good times!

I remember you posted those. That's impressive stuff. Looks like Caribou...lol.

That's OK...I found some online.

I can see why it was so bad....we had a taste of that in the Dec. storm with the wind, but I don't think we had anything over 65mph. Sounds like good times!

hitting 60-65 down here isn't all that rare, but when it happens for hours on end like that...i can't even describe what that was like. it was just hours of house-shaking wind and you could barely see out the window. it made some of the craziest/strangest/tallest drifts i've ever seen too.

Is that a rock wall next to your truck on the right??

Yeah our snowbanks def. beat them..no doubt.

But they may have had more OTG briefly

From what I saw, they had over 40" OTG for a day. Within a couple of days it was down to 26" and we averaged that over a month. We hit 37" for a couple of days but it was easily over 4' in the woods, if not deeper in sheltered areas. I know because I was out trying to tap trees in that!

hitting 60-65 down here isn't all that rare, but when it happens for hours on end like that...i can't even describe what that was like. it was just hours of house-shaking wind and you could barely see out the window. it made some of the craziest/strangest/tallest drifts i've ever seen too.

We had those for about 6 hours. Just complete whiteout. I went out at 10am to start and try to dig out, and those were some of the harshest conditions I've been in to date. The temps started falling into the lower teens with 50-60 moh winds. I actually went back inside. I remember even seeing some pines snap from the wind, driving around the next day.

From what I saw, they had over 40" OTG for a day. Within a couple of days it was down to 26" and we averaged that over a month. We hit 37" for a couple of days but it was easily over 4' in the woods, if not deeper in sheltered areas. I know because I was out trying to tap trees in that!

Yeah the snow depths and how long it lasted at those deep depths was unheralded this past winter. Over 30 inches OTG for weeks and weeks. Just insane. We do well overall with snowpack retention....the Cape has trouble hanging onto snow OTG...Too many things can go wrong down there for snowpack retention

They may have had more on the ground for a longer time, but nobody....not even me can say they went through such a storm. Currier and Ives snow FTL.

I can imagine with the snow totals and the wind. It's kind of rare for us to get the wind and the S+. Having said that, I guess that's how Kevin and I feel about getting 75" of snow in a little over a month from later December to early January. I'll probably get weenied for saying this, but it was a magical time!

I can imagine with the snow totals and the wind. It's kind of rare for us to get the wind and the S+. Having said that, I guess that's how Kevin and I feel about getting 75" of snow in a little over a month from later December to early January. I'll probably get weenied for saying this, but it was a magical time!

Yeah it was the stuff that you always hear about, but never happens to you.

6 feet of snow in about 45 days lol..

It was full on frontal nudity for a month and a half.

It was for CT that's for sure. But even here....I've never seen such a deep snowpack for so long.

Perhaps the NAO will try to remain negative this year? :whistle:

We had those for about 6 hours. Just complete whiteout. I went out at 10am to start and try to dig out, and those were some of the harshest conditions I've been in to date. The temps started falling into the lower teens with 50-60 moh winds. I actually went back inside. I remember even seeing some pines snap from the wind, driving around the next day.

yeah i had the whole weenie winter weather gear outfit on...snow goggles...anemometer...definitely that harshest conditions i've ever been in. the 10 minutes of wind 12/9/05 were more intense but 1/05 just lasted for hours. everytime i go back and look at the obs i just laugh. seems almost impossible to have that happen without being on the summit of a mountain or something. LOL

Cape Cod's Jan 2005 was more impressive than anything that happened in 2010-2011 in CT.

Strongly agree. That was a once in 100 year event. Hurricane (or near) forece winds with 3 feet of snow.

I work with a guy who's a snow lover. Grew up in upper MI where 300/year is the average. He was asking me about Boston. I told him to lower his expectations lol....

Cape Cod's Jan 2005 was more impressive than anything that happened in 2010-2011 in CT.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I agree on an individual storm by storm basis, but the totality of everything that occurred here in those 40 days was more impressive than Jan 2005 on Cape Cod, IMHO. Not withstanding the storm that month, we received over 75" of snow, 2 of which rank in the top 10 for the past 25 years. This resulted in numerous building collapses which led to large losses of property, not to mention the damage that ice dams did to homes.

I know that the Blizzard of 2005 had wide ranging effects but they were mostly short lived. The snow quickly faded and people were able to dig out without facing the prospect of another storm when they were done. That happened here three times, not including minor events. Again, I'm not down playing anything, I just think that for those of us who were here, this past winter will surpass anything else.

Strongly agree. That was a once in 100 year event. Hurricane (or near) forece winds with 3 feet of snow.

I work with a guy who's a snow lover. Grew up in upper MI where 300/year is the average. He was asking me about Boston. I told him to lower his expectations lol....

Right. And parts of C.T that got 45-50" in January average 12" or so for the month. Do you think that is more then a once in 100 year event?

I agree too....That was one impressive storm.

I work with a guy from N Minnesota....he lives over in the CT River Valley and complains about how the snow doesn't stick around and that it doesn't get very cold.

I would low ball your co-worker so when he does see what BOS gets, he might be surprised!

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I agree on an individual storm by storm basis, but the totality of everything that occurred here in those 40 days was more impressive than Jan 2005 on Cape Cod, IMHO. Not withstanding the storm that month, we received over 75" of snow, 2 of which rank in the top 10 for the past 25 years. This resulted in numerous building collapses which led to large losses of property, not to mention the damage that ice dams did to homes.

I know that the Blizzard of 2005 had wide ranging effects but they were mostly short lived. The snow quickly faded and people were able to dig out without facing the prospect of another storm when they were done. That happened here three times, not including minor events. Again, I'm not down playing anything, I just think that for those of us who were here, this past winter will surpass anything else.

It obviously depends on metrics. If you include the period from 12/26 to 1/26...I think the Cape would surpass CT on some levels. Perhaps not snowpack longevity, but you had one storm that dumped 18-23" or so...then another that dumped 28-38"...all in 1 month! Parts of the Cape made a run for 75", then you throw in the bomb on 12/26 and 1/22.

Any more pics of burly men weenie deep in snow in AK??

LOL. If anybody that has posted in this thread try's to give me sh*t this Winter when I get all happy from a snow blitz I'll call BS. Here's a good one of my buddy hamming it up. The conquering explorer pose.lol Just don't get weird an put it in your spank bank. I know how you and Blizz are.

LOL. If anybody that has posted in this thread try's to give me sh*t this Winter when I get all happy from a snow blitz I'll call BS. Here's a good one of my buddy hamming it up. The conquering explorer pose.lol Just don't get weird an put it in your spank bank. I know how you and Blizz are.

Can't do it this year but I'm thinking for my 66th I'm heading to AK. 12/1/12. I think going to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Bethel. 2 weeks in (for AK) will be dead of winter. Should be fun.

Can't do it this year but I'm thinking for my 66th I'm heading to AK. 12/1/12. I think going to Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Bethel. 2 weeks in (for AK) will be dead of winter. Should be fun.

Gonna be dark. March/April is a good time if you want snow and light. Summer is also great and you can still get on the snow. I really hope you get there. It's beyond words.

Archived