2. 2. Which Storm was Better?

• January 22-23, 2005
    • January 11-12. 2011
    • January 26-27, 2011
  3. 3. Which Winter was Better?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I've averaged 57.9" over the past 25 winters, but I'm at a lower elevation and not all of those winters were in Stafford Springs.

Another difference between Tolland in Union is that Kevin's 1,000' is a "peak" in town, whereas Union averages around 1,000'. Many parts of town are even over 1,200' with peaks just over 1,300'. I've found that sometimes an elevated area or plateau can do better than a hill at a similar elevation.

I would agree with Will that Union definately averages more. I've seen it first hand many times and he is correct that even a couple hundred feet can make a big difference. I have a sugarbush at 1,200' there and there is a difference even between places here at 800' and there. I'm working with a local homeowner there to try and get a weather station installed so perhaps we can get a better picture this winter? If I do get it running (I'm trying to figure out the Internet connectivity peice), I'll let everyone know.

Correct....ridges are more prone to upslope, than isolated hills.

Union also gets in on some of the ENE coastals that Kev essentially whiffs on....they're a touch N, too....which doesn't hurt.

If only BIrving could jump in a time machine and head over to Mt Tolland circa 20 BC.....dinosaurs buried up to their clevage in Tolland, while Wilmington had palm trees flapping in the breeze.

What is funny is that I never once said Tolland averages more snow than who...just saying it was possible and check out the reactions ;)

Archived