• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

Dave, Glad to hear it. You missed another 100 degree day yesterday. Emily is finally looking a little more organized so it may be deepening a bit. Most of the Hurricane models miss have the stomr missing the U.S. except the shallow and medium BAMS. I think that implies that if the storm stays weak Fl still is in the picture but the stronger the system gets the more likely it is to recurve. Still this early in the game, you can't rule out anything.

Thx Wes. Yeah I was laughing at the end of the evening show on the main stage, the cruise fun director showed us an accu wx radar map from 3 hours prior to that time the last days, no clue what he was talking about, LOL.

Im just glad we missed it, but at the same time was looking forward to seeing some good waves. good luck to the people of DR and Haiti it sounds like.

The humidity was so heavy last night around 11pm. Wow, you could have cut it with a knife, it was brutal outside on the deck

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what to think. Now there are outflow boundaries shooting out the northwestern quad.

Don't think, just present your clients with a hurricane plowing thru Homestead. You'll be popular.

Edit: I'm the anti-Typhoon Tip, I get my posts very near the top of the page everytime. Thanks mods.

Don't think, just present your clients with a hurricane plowing thru Homestead. You'll be popular.

Edit: I'm the anti-Typhoon Tip, I get my posts very near the top of the page everytime. Thanks mods.

Good thing I only have to send one forecast a day. I think I'd have amended my forecast about 3 different times in the last 3 hours if I was actually operational.

I have no idea what to think. Now there are outflow boundaries shooting out the northwestern quad.

There's an utter absence of organized rain bands, likely due to the suppression by dry air. The convective pattern is not organized at all and not indicative of intensification IMO. The bursting of convection in sheared storms hardly ever results in anything other than temporary intensification in my experience.

With such heavy and widespread convection, that LLC is going to tighten like a screw in a wall.

The sat appearance is improving rapidly. If the center is indeed steady now under the deep convection would expect pressure to drop and winds to be on the increase shortly.

It looks like the low-mid level flow has slowed some, as evidenced by the slowdown in forward speed from yesterday. This could be alleviating the shear some, as the northwesterly flow at 300 mb is still evident on the PR sounding this morning. The realignment of the center closer to the convection is a positive short-term sign, as it's allowed the storm to hold its own. I'm skeptical if this is a beginning of a longer-term intensification trend though, given the continued presence of the northwesterly flow aloft and the strengthening of the 850-200 mb shear over the next 24-36 hours by SHIPS. Given current trends, this will probably at least hold its own until it interacts with Hispaniola. What happens after that is highly uncertain, but the shear does improve after the island crossings.

Elongated from the SW to the NE...

aCSKD.png

sometimes it's just better to read and learn...

If there is any good news regarding this cyclone, we will see another G-IV mission tomorrow. Any help to guidance will go along way...

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1130 AM EDT TUE 02 AUGUST 2011
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
        VALID 03/1100Z TO 04/1100Z AUGUST 2011
        TCPOD NUMBER.....11-063

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
   1. TROPICAL STORM EMILY
      FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 70        FLIGHT TWO -- NOAA 49
      A. 03/1800Z,04/0000Z         A. 04/0000Z
      B. AFXXX 0805A EMILY         B. NOAA9 0905A EMILY
      C. 03/1645Z                  C. 03/1730Z
      D. 16.8N 69.3W               D. NA
      E. 03/1730Z TO 04/0000Z      E. NA
      F. SFC TO 10,000 FT          F. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT

FLIGHT THREE -- TEAL 71
      A. 04/0600Z,1200Z
      B. AFXXX 1005A CYCLONE
      C. 04/0445Z
      D. 17.9N 71.0W
      E. 04/0530Z TO 04/1200Z
      F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY:
      A. CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES IF SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT.
      B. A G-IV MISSION FOR 05/0000Z DEPARTING 04/1730Z.
      C. A P-3 TAIL DOPPER RADAR MISSION DEPARTING 04/2000Z.

As has been predicted by the GFS ensenble mean for a number of days, the NAO has fallen to near -2 and may fall a bit further. This represents the lowest daily NAO reading since 12/1/10. The pattern associated with this should help to protect the US east coast from a direct/nongrazing hurricane hit. Also, I'm giving only a small shot at a direct TS hit from off the Atlantic north of FL. Hitting FL as a TS would be a better bet a la Ernesto of 2006 when the NAO was also near -2. However, it staying completely offshore the east coast seems to be the best bet as of now.

UW - CIMSS

ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE

ADT-Version 8.1.3

Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm

----- Current Analysis -----

Date : 02 AUG 2011 Time : 164500 UTC

Lat : 15:20:26 N Lon : 63:53:14 W

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax

3.2 / 999.4mb/ 49.0kt

FWIW, the ADT has a known high bias in sheared situations.

So Jorge is bullish, CUMet is bearish, and I have no clue. Good thing we have a consensus.

Moderately bullish... I don't think we see more than a high end TS before land interaction... more bullish in the W Atl, but still too early for that.

So Jorge is bullish, CUMet is bearish, and I have no clue. Good thing we have a consensus.

I'd probably go with something around steady-state around 35-40 kt, with some short-term fluctuations typical of sheared storms. Despite the impressive wind readings and the lower pressure on the current pass, I'm still not convinced this is a long-term intensification. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that it is, but then again we've been fooled by this before. I don't think this will die before Hispaniola though.

Archived