• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

Emily has slowed down per 8:00 AM advisory and still no sign of the NW turn.

More a speed/relocation issue than a direction issue looking at the first forecast issued. Eyeballing it is on the Southern end of the path cone, but I think its a touch early to think the NHC forecast is seriously wrong.

AL052011_3W_001_0.GIF

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... I think Emily is finally starting to get decently organized.

It's still going to take a while... and I still don't see Hurricane status before Hispañola, but the next 48 hours should see some steady strengthening.

With respect to Hispañola, I am sticking to my guns and saying that it will miss the island or skim the coast to the south. I don't see a major, shredderrific landfall there.

Don't want to be a post hog, but the 1315Z satellite shows deep convection and turning pretty close to the recon center.

the emotional roller coaster is too much to take!11!

Wow... I think Emily is finally starting to get decently organized.

It's still going to take a while... and I still don't see Hurricane status before Hispañola, but the next 48 hours should see some steady strengthening.

With respect to Hispañola, I am sticking to my guns and saying that it will miss the island or skim the coast to the south. I don't see a major, shredderrific landfall there.

I also noticed the shift slightly south which could now have Emily's center avoid most of Hispaniola, that would obviously make a large difference if it does graze or miss compared to a direct hit.

Clearly have some improvement in outflow in just about every quadrant this morning. Even with that, looking the water vapor though, I am not sure the last time I have seen such significant dry air ahead of a system like that. Then when combined with the trough plowing South through Florida, I think the NHC made a pretty good call on track and intensity. Similar thinking with a few on here the last few pages or so.

Quick question for those in the know. Is the recon data showing the Surface Pressure has gone up from 1007 to 1008 or is that just a different area of pressure? Thanks in Advance & back to lurking.

It was a complete center relocation, so it's almost like a discontinuity in the track. However, yes, the MSLP of the system is now 1008mb.

Quick question for those in the know. Is the recon data showing the Surface Pressure has gone up from 1007 to 1008 or is that just a different area of pressure? Thanks in Advance & back to lurking.

Adding on to what Adam said, don't take that as a sign of weakening as usually there are pressure fluctuations of this sort in situations like this.

WVE animation

In this WV loop, where are the features that would bring Emily to the northwest and then force a sharp recurve? The front over Florida seems to be positioned and moving in a direction (nearly due S as opposed to W/NW to E/SE that seems to typically pull storms north and then force a recurve) such that it would block Emily, rather than pick it up and bring it north.

It seems to my aging memory that weak TC's fare better with Hispanola than stronger ones once past the island, and (re)generate more quickly. True? Also, any weak TC approaching Florida will have additional dry air entrainment issues to deal with. Not a pretty picture for Emily. Maybe she'll be a good rain producer in the Southeast.

Have you seen the sounding out of Miami? There isn't much dry air anywhere, PW is over 2" today. Looking at the MIMIC-TPW only shows a slot of dry air that she's been moving with for a while now.

In this WV loop, where are the features that would bring Emily to the northwest and then force a sharp recurve? The front over Florida seems to be positioned and moving in a direction (nearly due S as opposed to W/NW to E/SE that seems to typically pull storms north and then force a recurve) such that it would block Emily, rather than pick it up and bring it north.

Well as with all weather features, You must think about things in terms of heights. Higher pressure always pushes lower pressures around. Lower pressures erode higher pressures. The trough coming down to pick up Emily won't so much as snatch her up, as eat away at the west side of the atlantic high and open up a hole for her to slide through.

See here:

http://weather.unisy...=n5&inv=0&t=cur

the 500mb and compare it to 24 hours ago. Watch the large atlantic high get smaller.

Archived