Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
TS Emily: 215 Miles SSE Of San Juan, PR

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as we're playing "Pin the Center on the Cyclone", the system is third-rate crap. Just sayin'.

I know it's unlike me to be so negative Re: a prospect like this-- and I don't mean to be the buzzkiller here-- but after four of these total turds, I'm just getting way over it.

If we did not have satellite technology, I highly doubt most of the systems this year would have been classified. They've been absolutely mediocre and Emily is no exception.

Those holding out hope for an East Coast landfall should be acquainted with Hispaniola.

am19psu EDIT: While I laughed at the Heathers quote, probably not appropriate for the weather side.

FWIW, the 5 am EDT package shows a strong TS missing FL to the E and threatening SC by Day 5.

The Discussion is full of complexity and fail: shear, dry air, potential land interaction, unclear center, blah blah.

Unclear center should cheer you up, Josh. It could be underneath the blob :P

http://philstropical...ghly-uncertain/

Here is my first forecast for Emily, along with the discussion above. Needless to say I am also pessimistic with the forecast, as Emily might already be under the most favorable environment it has during its lifetime. As the upper level trough to its north shifts westward it will cutoff into an upper level low and likely produce significant southwesterly shear if Emily moves too quickly. Considering the mid-level circulation and low level circulation are still not vertically aligned, I am leaning towards this solution, which peaks Emily early but does not allow Emily to survive the impact of Hispaniola.

2cg1l6c.png

http://philstropical...ghly-uncertain/

Here is my first forecast for Emily, along with the discussion above. Needless to say I am also pessimistic with the forecast, as Emily might already be under the most favorable environment it has during its lifetime. As the upper level trough to its north shifts westward it will cutoff into an upper level low and likely produce significant southwesterly shear if Emily moves too quickly. Considering the mid-level circulation and low level circulation are still not vertically aligned, I am leaning towards this solution, which peaks Emily early but does not allow Emily to survive the impact of Hispaniola.

2cg1l6c.png

makes sense.

wonder if we see this end up splitting with the mid-levels heading on toward the bahamas and some pos llc staying south of the islands.

The 00z SHIPS initialization diagnosed the 850-200 mb shear as only 6 kt from the SE, and the CIMSS shear analysis is from the west at 5-10 kt, which isn't too bad either. However, the convective pattern is highly suggestive of a sheared storm, with intense convection breaking out east of the center and staying on that quadrant. I think what's happening is that there is shear in the 850-300 mb layer that is being missed by the traditional shear diagnostics. There are northwesterly winds at around 10 kt in the 250-350 mb layer being picked up by the 00z soundings in PR and Saint Maarten, to the NW and N of the storm respectively:

201108020078526skewt.gif201108020078866skewt.gif

A similar situation happened with Erika in 2009, where all of the traditional 850-200 mb shear metrics showed low shear, but the convection kept being displaced from the center. Clearly, this is not a very favorable environment for intensification. In light of this, I'm not sure if this will survive Hispaniola, and it frankly may not even make it there as a TC.

5 am disco mentioned this very thing. Good call.

If the 5 AM NHC tracks pans out then Emily is looking at 12 hours over those mountains of Hispaniola.

If the track is north of the 5 AM track it is longer Hispaniola and basically your typical TC shredder.

Now if the track is south of the 5 AM track she might have a fighting chance.

The next 12 hours of tracking should give a good hint of what her ultimate interaction with Hispanshedder is.

Stay due West the next 12 hours and I believe it will be either the current projected path or south of it.

Movement to the NW over the next 12 hours and it will be this track or north of it.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2011/graphics/al05/loop_5W.shtml

Studying the Archive of the NHC track it does appear that they had expected a NW turn by now in the older projections.

Emily has been progressing just north 15N.

If she remains one her current course past 67W I think she has a shot at grazing or perhaps missing Hispaniola.

Recon Decoded

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)

Transmitted: 2nd day of the month at 11:43Z

Aircraft: Air Force Aircraft (Last 3 digits of the tail number are 305)

Storm Number & Year: 05L in 2011

Storm Name: Emily (flight in the North Atlantic basin)

Mission Number: 5

Observation Number: 04

A. Time of Center Fix: 2nd day of the month at 11:16:10Z

B. Center Fix Coordinates: 15°19'N 63°28'W (15.3167N 63.4667W) (View map)

B. Center Fix Location: 274 miles (442 km) to the SE (141°) from San Juan, Puerto Rico (USA).

C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: Not Available

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 38kts (~ 43.7mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 68 nautical miles (78 statute miles) to the NNW (331°) of center fix

F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 84° at 36kts (From the E at ~ 41.4mph)

G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 99 nautical miles (114 statute miles) to the N (360°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 1007mb (29.74 inHg) - Extrapolated

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 24°C (75°F) at a pressure alt. of 306m (1,004ft)

J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 24°C (75°F) at a pressure alt. of 308m (1,010ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp & Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available

L. Eye Character: Not Available

M. Eye Shape: Not Available

N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind and Pressure

N. Fix Levels (sfc and flt lvl centers are within 5nm of each other): Surface and 1,500 feet

O. Navigation Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles

O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section - Remarks That Were Decoded...

Maximum Flight Level Wind: 36kts (~ 41.4mph) in the north quadrant at 10:38:40Z

Sea Level Pressure Extrapolation From: Below 1,500 feet

Maximum Flight Level Temp: 25°C (77°F) which was observed 74 nautical miles (85 statute miles) to the NNW (338°) from the flight level center

Remarks Section - Additional Remarks...

WEAK RADAR PRESENTATION

http://tropicalatlantic.com/recon/

The 50 knots before Hispaniola, you think it is too high because of the globals? You're closer to the GFDL, near steady state?

Just to clarify my position, the shear in the LGEM is the 850-200mb vector, which as has been discussed is not the relevant vector to look at. I dismissed all of the stat guidance and went with global model trends for my forecast this morning.

A question to the pros...

Does Emily or her remains look to have a high impact on South Carolina coast late weekend / early next week? Percentage odds would be appreciated.

A high impact seems nearly impossible. If it does affect SC, it would be as weak remnants that would produce nothing more than scattered, heavy showers.

This page from HPC showing possible rainfall analogs...

http://origin.hpc.nc.../web/EMILY.html

...has been indicating a slow drop in the percentage of lower 48 landfalls from storms in Emily's current location. Yesterday, about 1/3 of the matched storms (which is since 1951) hit the lower 48. Now, it's under 1/4. And yes, Erika 2009 and Jerry 2001 have been matching fairly high on the list. It uses as matches storms within 2 degrees latitude or longitude of a storm's current location, the storm's size based on ROCI, and its forward motion to determine matches. Storm strength is not considered relevant since rainfall magnitude is virtually uncorrelated with TC strength. I haven't checked myself, but someone with some PERL know-how could run HURDAT or the EBTD through a script to see how many systems moving this quick in the eastern Caribbean (around 15 knots) have actually survived the Caribbean/Greater Antilles/Bahamas. My impression is "not many". If this 8 am advisory slow down is for real, Emily could shear less and probably survive the interaction with Hispaniola, should it strike the island.

The other thing to notice from the soundings CUMet posted last night was the brisk low level flow. Strong low level easterlies from the SAL to the north were another feature that helped Erica (2009) shear out. I really like that as an analog. Good work, man.

This page from HPC showing possible rainfall analogs...

http://origin.hpc.nc.../web/EMILY.html

...has been indicating a slow drop in the percentage of lower 48 landfalls from storms in Emily's current location. Yesterday, about 1/3 of the matched storms (which is since 1951) hit the lower 48. Now, it's under 1/4. And yes, Erika 2009 and Jerry 2001 have been matching fairly high on the list. It uses as matches storms within 2 degrees latitude or longitude of a storm's current location, the storm's size based on ROCI, and its forward motion to determine matches. Storm strength is not considered relevant since rainfall magnitude is virtually uncorrelated with TC strength. I haven't checked myself, but someone with some PERL know-how could run HURDAT or the EBTD through a script to see how many systems moving this quick in the eastern Caribbean have actually survived the Caribbean/Greater Antilles/Bahamas. My impression is "not many".

It seems to my aging memory that weak TC's fare better with Hispanola than stronger ones once past the island, and (re)generate more quickly. True? Also, any weak TC approaching Florida will have additional dry air entrainment issues to deal with. Not a pretty picture for Emily. Maybe she'll be a good rain producer in the Southeast.

RECON data suggests the LLC is beginning to slow down. The deep convective feature, while displaced to the E, appears to be lining up with the surface circulation that has been fighting some low level shear. It will be interesting to see if Emily can become a bit better vertically stacked and begin a strengthening process. Time will tell...

post-32-0-89326900-1312290202.jpg

6Z GFDL says Emily does survive Hispaniola, and deepens from 1005 mb exiting Hispaniola to 982 mb over the Bahamas before a slow filling trend and recurve, so I'm assuming the GFDL forecasts generally favorable conditions once North of the G. Antilles. Initialized with a 1004 mb low which would be about 1003 mb by now, not quite what the recon showed, FWIW.

Archived