• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday showers/thunder threat

free_man

I think SNE is gonna benefit for its latitude, because I think there might be some crappy mid level clouds over NNE. Looks like some stuff goes through NNE late night tonight which would probably mean there will be left over convective stuff up that way. This may also waft down into SNE, but at least we should have some solar heating. Also even if clouds muck up the heating a bit, we have continuous height falls, so it shouldn't be too capped. Shear looks pretty good as well across CT and up into western mass.

Yeah looks good. Rare to see instability, shear, jet dynamics come together in SNE.

Should have a better idea by the 12z/18z models today.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's because LFQ is fun to type, Scott - lol.

Tomorrow has a classic relief day look about it! We could sky rocket temps out of the gates with such a high launching pad, and right amid a lead theta-e ridge... CAPEs should be good, no doubt.

On-going cells in western/upstate NY by noon will organize into segmented hail and wind producers as they rake through the remainder of the afternoon, with photo op shelf clouds and 20F temperature reducing outflow blasts. Nice. It's 91/70, sky gets dark with flickers and distance moans, suddenly the trees lay over and it's like jumping in a swimming pool.

I'll post more after looking at the 12z runs but I really like what I see potentially right now...as always there are some things that could really screw us over, however, none of that looks rather likely, at least down this way.

Well... being in SNE for one. After June 1, we've used up our severe quota for a while

It's because LFQ is fun to type, Scott - lol.

Tomorrow has a classic relief day look about it! We could sky rocket temps out of the gates with such a high launching pad, and right amid a lead theta-e ridge... CAPEs should be good, no doubt.

On-going cells in western/upstate NY by noon will organize into segmented hail and wind producers as they rake through the remainder of the afternoon, with photo op shelf clouds and 20F temperature reducing outflow blasts. Nice. It's 91/70, sky gets dark with flickers and distance moans, suddenly the trees lay over and it's like jumping in a swimming pool.

No it's because without it...it goes to crap. Lol

No it's because without it...it goes to crap. Lol

It will be interesting to see the 00z RAOBS to the nw of us in Quebec, tonight. We definitely want that EML over MN right now, to advect east with limited convective taint.

I think things look good on paper for now. I mean even 6.5C to 7C mid level lapse rates is great for SNE. The concern I have is for how much mid level crud tries to move into SNE tomorrow morning. It's a little concerning. Even so, you'll have some venting from a favorable jet position and height falls during the day to help try and offset any lack of insulation.

The GFS is pretty unstable tomorrow, but it also suddenly spikes dews which seems suspect. Even so, looks decent at first glance, but I still have the "what can go wrong" playing in my head.

One thing to watch for is winds in the lowest 900mb...GFS has them more out of the west...if this occurs this would limit the amount of sfc convergence and also could drop dews a bit as the day goes on as drier air aloft mixes down.

If these winds stay more out of the SW though helicity is going to be increased by a decent amount and we could be looking at the threat for supercells and perhaps a few spinups.

One thing to watch for is winds in the lowest 900mb...GFS has them more out of the west...if this occurs this would limit the amount of sfc convergence and also could drop dews a bit as the day goes on as drier air aloft mixes down.

If these winds stay more out of the SW though helicity is going to be increased by a decent amount and we could be looking at the threat for supercells and perhaps a few spinups.

The GFS might have more westerly winds, thanks to its resolution. Still, I could see more wsw type winds which isn't bad. One of the problems with westerly winds is that it dries us out and allows for more mixing of drier air from aloft. I think this time around td's are higher aloft so we don't have to worry too much about mixing drier air from aloft, but you don't want like a 280 type wind either.

The GFS might have more westerly winds, thanks to its resolution. Still, I could see more wsw type winds which isn't bad. One of the problems with westerly winds is that it dries us out and allows for more mixing of drier air from aloft. I think this time around td's are higher aloft so we don't have to worry too much about mixing drier air from aloft, but you don't want like a 280 type wind either.

The GFS still has decent looking hodos, at least early on in the day. The NAM wasn't too bad either.

Still thinking that the storm mode very early on will be mainly supercells but then they will begin to converge and form a line which will quickly begin to bow out. We may see multiple lines tomorrow in fact.

Good deal of theta-e advection tomorrow ahead of the front with some pretty high PWATS so perhaps if the sfc wind direction is right we could see dews get well into the lower to perhaps mid 70's for a time.

Check out the 12z SPC WRF. Kind of what I'm afraid of. It brings crap through in the morning, but looks like more cells would arrive very late day. It's a model, but just saying fwiw.

Check out the 12z SPC WRF. Kind of what I'm afraid of. It brings crap through in the morning, but looks like more cells would arrive very late day. It's a model, but just saying fwiw.

Actually rooting for a quiet day for selfish reasons, come on MCS debris and west winds.

The 12z NAM kind of hints at this as well b/c there is a really sudden drop off in instability during the early afternoon.

In setups like this you always have to keep in mind the potential for morning crap, especially with any sort of MCS that tries rolling through. A couple things we may have working for us is we may be capped early in the day and it appears as if tonight/early AM the strongest MUcape values will be across northern New England so perhaps any activity goes to our north. The positioning of the ridge is a little worrisome though b/c I could see something take aim at us in SNE but I could see it just sliding to our south.

Any morning action though will also leave some nice outflow boundaries for storms to work with later in the day...hopefully though any morning action is something that is weakening as it's nearing us.

Archived