Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part III

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a possible early start to the cape verde season, the last early cape verde season start was 2008, and the people of houston unfortunately know what happened later that season

The last real Florida style storm to hit a populated part of Texas was 28 years ago. Although Alicia wouldn't be fit to tie the shoe laces of Charley or Andrew.

The last Texas storm worthy of Andrew's shoelaces...

A rather impressive CV wave near 35W is beginning to get 'that' look. We'll need to watch this feature in the days ahead as a Kelvin Wave looks to enter the Basin and a more favorable MJO pulse heads E. It's getting close to time when eyes will need to look further E in the Atlantic to those Cape Verde systems...

avn-l.jpg

latest72hrs.gif

gfs.gif

The last real Florida style storm to hit a populated part of Texas was 28 years ago. Although Alicia wouldn't be fit to tie the shoe laces of Charley or Andrew.

The last Texas storm worthy of Andrew's shoelaces...

Scott747 has always doubted that Alicia was a real 100-kt cyclone. It's tough to say, but if it was a Cat 2, it sure was a solid one.

Alicia was the first landfalling 'cane I tracked. I got very excited about it. Landfall was forecast to happen at 3 or 4 am, and I asked my parents' permission to get up in the middle of the night to watch CNN and track it. (I was thirteen and my parents were rather strict about things like bedtime and so on.) They said "yes". :wub:

OK, sorry to wax nostalgic.

Scott747 has always doubted that Alicia was a real 100-kt cyclone. It's tough to say, but if it was a Cat 2, it sure was a solid one.

Alicia was the first landfalling 'cane I tracked. I got very excited about it. Landfall was forecast to happen at 3 or 4 am, and I asked my parents' permission to get up in the middle of the night to watch CNN and track it. (I was thirteen and my parents were rather strict about things like bedtime and so on.) They said "yes". :wub:

My mother let me have a day off school to track Hurricane Lili's devastating Category 4 landfall in Louisiana. I never assumed a ragged Category 1.

Wouldn't bat an eye if it was downgraded in any re-analysis.

Going old school. This goes back when I really started being dismissive about pressure readings and took some heat for it.

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/119679-which-past-landfalling-usa-hurricanes-would-you-downgrade-or-upgrade/page__view__findpost__p__1690583

I think we are beginning to learn that the pressure reading may be somewhat misleading in correlation to wind speed. The only sustained winds found over 100 kt were at flight level right before landfall by recon.

The question is how fast was it really intensifying before landfall? The article you mentioned -

http://chps.sam.usac...meteorology.htm

Brings up a interesting discussion about Alicia having a double-concentric eyewall, along with providing impressive images..

http://chps.sam.usac...icia/Fig2-5.htm

Looks as if it was completing an ERC at landfall and beginning a RI cycle. I'm just not sold on the winds making it down to the surface @ 110.

From eyewitnesses at the actual landfall point, San Luis Pass/Jamaica Beach felt that Carla's winds were somewhat comparable to those of Alicia. Fairly significant time between storms, and no question that Alicia's actual winds surpassed those of Carla in the defined area of landfall, albeit small.

Again this could be due to Alicia having a very tiny area of true cat 3 winds, if in fact she did. ;)

For those more knowledgeable than myself, what is this north-east of Bermuda? Tropical? Sub-Tropical? Nothing in particular? Clearly showing rotation in animations and convection is trying to build over the 'center'.

THE ATLANTIC OCEAN...

T.S. BRET IS E OF THE N FLORIDA MOVING NNE. SEE ABOVE. THE TAIL

END OF A STATIONARY FRONT IS ALSO OVER THE W ATLANTIC ALONG

32N54W 31N60W 33N70W. WIDELY SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS

WITHIN 120 NM OF THE FRONT. A LARGE 1035 MB HIGH IS CENTERED

OVER THE E ATLANTIC NEAR 39N29W PRODUCING FAIR WEATHER. A RIDGE

AXIS EXTENDS SW FROM THE HIGH TO 27N52W. EXPECT LITTLE CHANGE

OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS WITH THE STATIONARY FRONT...WHILE T.S.

BRET MOVES NE...AND THE TROPICAL WAVE MOVES W AT 20 KT.

This is the only mention of it by NHC, and they don't even address the swirl directly. I'm actually a bit disappointed they don't at least mention the robust surface circulation, even if it is still cold core and soon to be absorbed by the mid-latitude trough.

This is the only mention of it by NHC, and they don't even address the swirl directly. I'm actually a bit disappointed they don't at least mention the robust surface circulation, even if it is still cold core and soon to be absorbed by the mid-latitude trough.

It's a baroclinic low outside the deep tropics. It falls under OPC's jurisdiction.

The GFS bit o' vorticity North of Hispaniola about six days out is not blowing my socks off.

The Euro looks a lot nicer, but loses it. I remain interested, but non-plussed.

However, since not even the Canadian got Bret even at 24 hours, I am, as always, glass one eight full optimistic.

post-138-0-52980900-1311104379.gif

Lemonized

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 PM EDT TUE JUL 19 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL

STORM BRET...LOCATED ABOUT 330 MILES SOUTH OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH

CAROLINA.

A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED ABOUT 175 MILES EAST-NORTHEAST

OF BERMUDA IS PRODUCING AN AREA OF DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE

FOR DEVELOPMENT...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...

OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES

NORTHEASTWARD AT AROUND 20 MPH TOWARD COOLER WATER.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS.

$

FORECASTER BROWN

two_atl.gif

http://met.nps.edu/~mtmontgo/P07L.html

P07L

13N, 34W

700hPa

ECMWF: It takes 24 hours to get a pouch, but then P07L maintains itself until at least 120 hours, but it does not intensify like UKMET.

GFS: A distinct, large pouch at analysis. As other models have been suggesting, a secondary OW max develops on the eastern side of the pouch at 24 hours. While other models intensify that as the main pouch center, it is only temporary for GFS. GFS continues to hold to its story of the initial western pouch maintaining itself, although as a weakening pouch that moves southwest and then northwest into the Caribbean.

UKMET: The secondary OW max development now occurs quickly at 12 hours. P07L then intensifies into, most likely, a tropical storm.

NOGAPS: The secondary eastern development occurs at 24 hours. Unlike UKMET, NOGAPS then dissipates P07L.

Archived