• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Atlantic Tropical Action 2011 - Part III

At the very least, it's likely that we'll see an E-Pac TC out of this. TC genesis in the SW Caribbean is something I have less confidence about, but the GFS has cut down on most of its false alarms since the upgrade, so it is plausible.

I agree. I think the EPAC is the more likely solution, but I'm not ruling out the Carib either.

Is it me or does it seem like this year and last year have had more of these monsoon interactions near Central America than usual?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 12z GFS isn't backing down...

gfs_ten_072m.gif

Last night's Canadian developed this in the SW Caribbean as well

EastPac bound, however. It would warrant at least a TD designation in the Atlantic if that verified...

Edit 07 Aug 2011- all of a sudden my uploaded images have caught up with me. Removed image.

I agree. I think the EPAC is the more likely solution, but I'm not ruling out the Carib either.

Is it me or does it seem like this year and last year have had more of these monsoon interactions near Central America than usual?

It's not you. 850mb wind anomalies for the EPac this and last year show consistent westerly anomalies, which aid the monsoon trough over CA. Remember how westerly based was the La Niña last year because of this?

I was about to say that the monsoon gyre thing is something we saw a lot of last year. It doesn't seem to have happened quite as often in previous years, although I wasn't looking out for this feature as much back then. I will say that the strong westerly low-level wind anomalies that have been observed so far this summer in the eastern Pacific is a pretty common characteristic of very active Atlantic seasons.

A very impressive wave is about to roll off Africa. This feature has a bit more latitude and organization of what we've seen lately. Perhaps another area to monitor...oh, and conference is lookin good...;)

post-32-0-15201200-1310605686.jpg

post-32-0-14637100-1310605742.gif

Still keeping an eye on the SW Caribbean/EPAC area as convection is still firing and W to SW wind flow on the EPAC side has commenced near the monsoonal trough. The models are 'sniffing' slow development in that region as the trough lifts slowly N. A broad area of low pressure appears to forming, but which Basin (Atlantic/EPAC) is still in question...

post-32-0-32341600-1310644736.jpg

A very impressive wave is about to roll off Africa. This feature has a bit more latitude and organization of what we've seen lately. Perhaps another area to monitor...oh, and conference is lookin good...;)

Jorge has posted something on the ENSO thread that should have the forum jumping ASO. Looks like the heart of the action is in the Caribbean, but judging by the pressure and precip, looks like any part of the Gulf and SE has a shot...

seasonal_charts_mslp%21mean%20sea%20level%20pressure%21tercile%20summary%211%20month%21Tropics%21201107%21chart.gif

Jorge has posted something on the ENSO thread that should have the forum jumping ASO. Looks like the heart of the action is in the Caribbean, but judging by the pressure and precip, looks like any part of the Gulf and SE has a shot...

seasonal_charts_mslp%21mean%20sea%20level%20pressure%21tercile%20summary%211%20month%21Tropics%21201107%21chart.gif

totally sick

And another piece of data suggesting an explosive ASO period

TNA

2011     0.97    0.53    0.38    0.36    0.44    0.61  -99.99  -99.99  -99.99  -99.99  -99.99  -99.99

3rd place modern era behind 2005 and 2010 if my eyeballs don't deceive me. Did seem to correlate pretty well those two years.

I like pictures, myself.

atl_anom.gif

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT THU JUL 14 2011

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER HAS FORMED OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN

CARIBBEAN SEA. DEVELOPMENT...IF ANY...OF THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO

BE SLOW TO OCCUR AS IT REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY OR DRIFTS WESTWARD

DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...10

PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE OVER

PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AMERICA DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

ELSEHWERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$

FORECASTER CANGIALOSI

post-32-0-91923400-1310664562.gif

CARCAH has a tentative scheduled flight to the SW Caribbean on Saturday...

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1000 AM EDT THU 14 JULY 2011

SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)

VALID 15/1100Z TO 16/1100Z JULY 2011

TCPOD NUMBER.....11-044

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE LOW

LEVEL INVEST AT 16/1900Z NEAR 12N 82W.

Not specifically looking at the details...the 12z GFS is starting to pick up on a ramp up in activity by the end of July

12zgfs500mbHGHTPMSLtropical288.gif

I don't trust the GFS much after the truncation number is reduced, but the general idea of something rotating down around the heat ridge from up North into the Gulf seems supported by the Euro, and an Edoaurd like gentle rainmaker would be much appreciated, although the GFS verbatim takes most of the rain well South of my lawn.

My thoughts on the Caribbean disturbance

http://philstropicalweatherblog.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/caribbean-disturbance-persists-which-basin-will-it-develop-in/

Overall, I'm thinking this will mainly be a East Pacific threat, since we are only dealing with a limited amount of time over the Southern Caribbean (24-48 hours). However, I think ultimately this disturbance has great potential to develop, with nearly every forecast variable you can think of pointing towards development (low shear, warm waters, ample moisture, favorable MJO phase, propagating Kelvin wave). Land interaction is the only factor that seems to be in the way, and once this system moves into the East Pacific entirely, it won't have that to keep it from becoming a tropical cyclone.

My thoughts on the Caribbean disturbance

http://philstropical...-it-develop-in/

Overall, I'm thinking this will mainly be a East Pacific threat, since we are only dealing with a limited amount of time over the Southern Caribbean (24-48 hours). However, I think ultimately this disturbance has great potential to develop, with nearly every forecast variable you can think of pointing towards development (low shear, warm waters, ample moisture, favorable MJO phase, propagating Kelvin wave). Land interaction is the only factor that seems to be in the way, and once this system moves into the East Pacific entirely, it won't have that to keep it from becoming a tropical cyclone.

It'd really screw up the Tropical contest if this became a depression in the Atl. .....then attained storm status in the Pac....

Folks,

Both the 6z gfs and 6z nam are hinting at something tropical forming off of the SE coast by Monday. With anomalously high sfc pressure for this time of year (1025 mb) progged to persist to the N and NE of this area through the late weekend into early next week, this area will probably need to be monitored for the chance of a spinup that could subsequently threaten the SE coast around Tuesday. With this being July, this would be a pretty rare event (homegrown tropical cyclone that subsequently moves to the SE coast), but it has occurred a handful of times over the last 100 years in July. So, although the odds are against it, it wouldn't at all be shocking considering the anomalous sfc high to the NE. A later invest in this area wouldn't be a surprise to me.

Archived