• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Its cold enough when do we snow?

Ginx snewx

Boston is around now I think, but that is NBD.....if we have seen nothing by Xmas, then it may be time to get somewhat concerened....I think Will would agree.

Yeah it's still just a tad too early to really become concerned, I know we all want snow and all but we just got through the first week of December :lol:

Things can change in a flash in just a matter of weeks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's still just a tad too early to really become concerned, I know we all want snow and all but we just got through the first week of December :lol:

Days....it is entirely concievable that with the impending block, that at somepoint this month we grab a couple of ~10" events within a week...then all of a sudden we have Ginx posting about how epic this month is and that he knew it would happen by the way the stars looked on one torrid July night, and Jerry harkening back to how he was snowed in at MED school in December of 1961.

Well, This is true, But up this way most years we have snow on the ground by now. The other thing and i don't like to have to keep bringing it up is, Winter ended rather abruptly last year because of the strong block and retrograding storms and it seems like we are right back in that pattern as we start this winter, That is whats frustrating........

Well, This is true, But up this way most years we have snow on the ground by now. The other thing and i don't like to have to keep bringing it up is, Winter ended rather abruptly last year because of the strong block and retrograding storms and it seems like we are right back in that pattern as we start this winter, That is whats frustrating........

Well the thing is what happened last winter was pretty much a fluke, I posted last night winters with a trimonthly NAO reading of -2.0 or lower and the majority of the winters were pretty good...had a few bad ones but for the most part we usually do well.

I understand that in past years we have had snow on the ground by now and such but even that doesn't really mean anything, especially as far as winter goes. Look at 1988-1989 for example (or maybe it was 1989-1990) but whichever of the years was one of the worst in our history...especially here in CT...BDL had like 14 or 16'' that winter...and about 7 or 8 inches came in December.

December is just such a swing month as we go from the autumn to the winter transition, so what may look like hell now could quickly become heaven in just a few weeks as the atmosphere becomes more into it's winter state.

Well the thing is what happened last winter was pretty much a fluke, I posted last night winters with a trimonthly NAO reading of -2.0 or lower and the majority of the winters were pretty good...had a few bad ones but for the most part we usually do well.

I understand that in past years we have had snow on the ground by now and such but even that doesn't really mean anything, especially as far as winter goes. Look at 1988-1989 for example (or maybe it was 1989-1990) but whichever of the years was one of the worst in our history...especially here in CT...BDL had like 14 or 16'' that winter...and about 7 or 8 inches came in December.

December is just such a swing month as we go from the autumn to the winter transition, so what may look like hell now could quickly become heaven in just a few weeks as the atmosphere becomes more into it's winter state.

December 1989...cold as hell, but not much snow.

December 1989...cold as hell, but not much snow.

No rainstorms either I think. interesting month. 21/12 at BOS on 12/4.....almost unheard of that early. 24 of 31 days where the temps stayed AOB freezing in December is unreal! That was 1989. January 1990 had 3 of 31 days AOB freezing. February had 7 of 28 AOB freezing and March had 1 day. That was one heckuva cold December but dry as well.

No rainstorms either I think. interesting month. 21/12 at BOS on 12/4.....almost unheard of that early. 24 of 31 days where the temps stayed AOB freezing in December is unreal! That was 1989. January 1990 had 3 of 31 days AOB freezing. February had 7 of 28 AOB freezing and March had 1 day. That was one heckuva cold December but dry as well.

Jerry, whats up, give us your take on winter 10-11 forget the ne, whats your take on your backyard............snowfall wise?

Jerry, whats up, give us your take on winter 10-11 forget the ne, whats your take on your backyard............snowfall wise?

Very big year. Frustrating beginning but almost all are. 1993 didn't deliver until after Christmas (save for a 1-2 inch surprise WAA system around 12/15). End result was 96 inches at Logan.

00z GFS is just comical. We are downright frigid the next few days...but Friday's system dries out to nada...weekend warms just in time for a rainstorm on the 12/13th...we get brutally cold again...before we repeat the 12/13th storm again on the 20th with more rain/wind. Hopefully things break for us soon, otherwise...gun_bandana.gif

That is some sick cold being depicted about a week from now...looking at 850mb temps around -20C over parts of the region...yikes. That pattern looks God awful for well, especially for us, There isn't anything coming up this way if that were to verify. Shades of Dec '89 perhaps? :unsure:

Nah, looks like your typical nina, cold and dry, lakes cutter, cold and dry, lakes cutter.

00z GFS is just comical. We are downright frigid the next few days...but Friday's system dries out to nada...weekend warms just in time for a rainstorm on the 12/13th...we get brutally cold again...before we repeat the 12/13th storm again on the 20th with more rain/wind. Hopefully things break for us soon, otherwise...gun_bandana.gif

Tough to imagine theres gonna be lower single digit lows later this week and rain on 12/13. Fml. I leave 12/15 for a month.

Nah, looks like your typical nina, cold and dry, lakes cutter, cold and dry, lakes cutter.

The GFS just looks absolutely horrible...nothing to be excited about at all.

It's just basically a rinse and repeat type thing...a storm cuts to our west, departs the we get cold on the backside...next storm comes, cuts to the west, departs then cold air builds in.

This is a classic 1980's winter pattern......cold-dry, cutter, cold-dry, rinse and repeat....

The GFS just looks absolutely horrible...nothing to be excited about at all.

It's just basically a rinse and repeat type thing...a storm cuts to our west, departs the we get cold on the backside...next storm comes, cuts to the west, departs then cold air builds in.

I'd rather see Dec 2006 than this....but hopefully we cash in the 2nd half.

I'd rather see Dec 2006 than this....but hopefully we cash in the 2nd half.

This is really beginning to get a little depressing, especially looking at the 0z GFS...there really was not one thing to be excited about on the GFS...just the patterns on it just flat out suck, a PV from hell decides to ride through our area and we go into a freeze from hell, that finally begins to break up and depart just in time for the next system and by the look at the pattern being depicted that doesn't bode well either. Although maybe seeing a lakes cutter 200+ hours out is a good thing :lol: Instead of seeing coastal bombs go to lake cutters maybe we can get the opposite to occur.

I just hope the euro is a total 180 from this GFS run.

This is really beginning to get a little depressing, especially looking at the 0z GFS...there really was not one thing to be excited about on the GFS...just the patterns on it just flat out suck, a PV from hell decides to ride through our area and we go into a freeze from hell, that finally begins to break up and depart just in time for the next system and by the look at the pattern being depicted that doesn't bode well either. Although maybe seeing a lakes cutter 200+ hours out is a good thing :lol: Instead of seeing coastal bombs go to lake cutters maybe we can get the opposite to occur.

There is the problem; why look right now....you know this stretch blows and there will be nothing exciting.

I don't even care to look because I know there will nothing that I'll care to see.

How can you say a blocking pattern with a shortwave amplifying into it is a bad pattern for snow?

Obviously the solution verbatim on the model sucks...but the pattern is fine.

Archived