• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Viva La Sizzle

Mr Torchey

Highs are expected to be in the low to mid 80s the next couple days up this way before dropping back into a 70s/40s regime. Really hard to call these warm spells "torches" if they only last 48 hours and only get up to what one might expect for temperatures in the middle of the summer. And even low to mid 80s isn't bad for 2 days if 5 days per week are in the 70s with overnight lows in the 45-55F range.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I will not be enjoying the mid 80s in the lower valleys the next two days as I'm back on summit duty from 8am-5pm. However, I certainly will be enjoying the progged highs of mid to upper 60s under full sunshine at 4K feet. The summit in July is like the lower elevations in September/October. Every day up there in the 60s with a breeze feels like a beautiful autumn day. Less than 8 weeks before the leaves start turning on the mountain.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highs are expected to be in the low to mid 80s the next couple days up this way before dropping back into a 70s/40s regime. Really hard to call these warm spells "torches" if they only last 48 hours and only get up to what one might expect for temperatures in the middle of the summer. And even low to mid 80s isn't bad for 2 days if 5 days per week are in the 70s with overnight lows in the 45-55F range.

We've had a pretty average summer temperature wise and certainly below average when talking about high temps...our "warm" periods have been mostly those S or SE flow type airmasses with dews in the 60s that keep the night time mins up a bit. We've had a classic heat dome in the central US that wants to make it here but its been rejected by the NAO for most of the summer so we've stayed quite seasonable on the whole.

We've had a pretty average summer temperature wise and certainly below average when talking about high temps...our "warm" periods have been mostly those S or SE flow type airmasses with dews in the 60s that keep the night time mins up a bit. We've had a classic heat dome in the central US that wants to make it here but its been rejected by the NAO for most of the summer so we've stayed quite seasonable on the whole.

Good call on the overnight lows keeping temps up... the public perception around here is that its been a cool but very pleasant summer so far. I think everyone still has last summer's torch in their minds, but also the fact that daytime highs just haven't been that impressive except for a brief 3 day period in mid-June where we were mid 80s to near 90 for a few days. People seem to judge the overall feel of the season based on what happens during the daylight (especially afternoon hours) and the fact that the vast majority of days have featured highs in the 70s... at least up here, but with the -NAO most of the elevated interior in SNE sees just about the same temperatures as we do up in northern VT ski country; I've seen a lot of you guys posting highs generally in the 70s, too. I feel like its actually been a bit warmer the further west/northwest you go...probably attributed to the heat dome in the center of the country.

I know some on here have been hitting the positive departures at the climate sites to show its been warm, but if the daytime highs are seasonable or even below normal, that's what the public generally remembers. No one says "its been a warm summer because of the number of days its been 65 degrees at 5am."

This has been a very nice summer since the last June cutoff. Warm but not opperssive. No big heat. Some hot days quickly mitigated by a cold front and fine summer wx thereafter. The polar ice cap looks mighty weak however....don't think I'm not looking. ;)

87 for a high here, so 84-85 might be right for him. Pretty moist, too. 70 td here...

Just checked... Chester Hill had a high of 84.5...lol

thats actually pretty warm for that location, low 90s all across interior ct, nothing crazy, but certainly gets your attention walking outside, feels great!

87F here today... with dews in the upper 60s... today was a torch, no doubt about it.

Even up at 3,700ft we were in the low 70s which is pretty d@mn warm for up there... southerly wind was on the increase all day long. We were sustained at 25, gusting 40 up there late this afternoon...very warm breeze. It was a far cry from most of the day spent in the upper 40s with stiff NW winds on Saturday.

Archived