Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Viva La Sizzle

Mr Torchey

90/81

heat index of 109 back home in Pawleys Island SC, now thats real humidity, this is nothing :P

heh, silly to make that comparison though... That's like blaming ORH for not being as harsh as Barrow Alaska on the 5th of January. Duh.

'Sides, the greatest combination of kinetic temperature and dew point on the planet reside around the head waters of the Red Sea. There, 110/90 is not uncommon.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh, silly to make that comparison though... That's like blaming ORH for not being as harsh as Barrow Alaska on the 5th of January. Duh.

'Sides, the greatest combination of kinetic temperature and dew point on the planet reside around the head waters of the Red Sea. There, 110/90 is not uncommon.

I was wondering where the highest humidity is?

How humid can it get in the CONUS?

Just wanted to post that we have gotten to 98 here today on the south shore of Long Island (JFK) breaking the old record from the famous summer of 1993 by 4 degrees!

From what I'm hearing we can expect even bigger and longer lasting heat for near the end of July through the first part of August! I hope we break the century mark! WNW winds are awesome! :)

80+ dew points in the U.S. are pretty rare on a widespread basis. Even 75+ over a wide area doesn't happen too often. Even if someplace in the U.S. could reach a 90 dew point, I'm not sure we'd ever hear about it since automated stations cap out before they just report a missing dew point because the software thinks it's an error or faulty sensor. The cap used to be 86, not sure if it's still that way.

The cornfields in IA/MO can get some pretty ridiculous dewpoints, well into the 80s. Corn has a high rate of evapotranspiration in summer.

I think Tip is right though: you'd need to go to the Red Sea, or parts of the Persian Gulf, for the most absurd dewpoints.

80+ dew points in the U.S. are pretty rare on a widespread basis. Even 75+ over a wide area doesn't happen too often. Even if someplace in the U.S. could reach a 90 dew point, I'm not sure we'd ever hear about it since automated stations cap out before they just report a missing dew point because the software thinks it's an error or faulty sensor. The cap used to be 86, not sure if it's still that way.

I remember back in 1996 I think, we had a really yucky day here with a temp of 83 degrees and a relative humidity of 100% under overcast skies..... that was the highest temp I have ever seen here with 100% humidity.

In 1995 we had a day with a dew point of 86.... I believe the high that day was 103 and the low was 87. The heat index was 131 I believe.

I remember back in 1996 I think, we had a really yucky day here with a temp of 83 degrees and a relative humidity of 100% under overcast skies..... that was the highest temp I have ever seen here with 100% humidity.

In 1995 we had a day with a dew point of 86.... I believe the high that day was 103 and the low was 87. The heat index was 131 I believe.

Are you sure it was that warm? That's virtually impossible for the East coast. Even Dubai has trouble with that.

The cornfields in IA/MO can get some pretty ridiculous dewpoints, well into the 80s. Corn has a high rate of evapotranspiration in summer.

I think Tip is right though: you'd need to go to the Red Sea, or parts of the Persian Gulf, for the most absurd dewpoints.

Yes, the dew points there can exceed 100 degrees.... even 110.

Are you sure it was that warm? That's virtually impossible for the East coast. Even Dubai has trouble with that.

Well, that's what I remember.... I may be wrong but maybe someone can look it up-- it was the hottest day of the year in 1995 and I know NYC, LGA and PHL all set records that day.

The one in 1996 I remember clearly lol, because I was listening to the update on the radio and they announced 83 degrees with 100% humidity.... we were expecting severe weather that day so I was tuned in to NOAA weather radio.

Well, that's what I remember.... I may be wrong but maybe someone can look it up-- it was the hottest day of the year in 1995 and I know NYC, LGA and PHL all set records that day.

The one in 1996 I remember clearly lol, because I was listening to the update on the radio and they announced 83 degrees with 100% humidity.... we were expecting severe weather that day so I was tuned in to NOAA weather radio.

1995 had a dewpoint of 78 at BOS iirc. That was at 3:00am and was also a record I believe. Even MIA has trouble reaching a TD of 78, but that atmosphere was so humid and so capped.

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KLGA/1995/7/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

lol well I was spot on with the temp-- LGA had a high of 103 and a low of 86 but the dew point was 78.

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1995/7/15/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Philly had a dew point of 83 that day though with a similar range of temps.

(103/81)

not true!!

A: The dew point temperature, which is based on how much water vapor is in the air, is a good measure of how humid it feels. A dew point above 70°F is quite humid. Very high dew points are often found near shallow, subtropical seas. Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, on the Persian Gulf, recorded a dew point of 95°F on July 8, 2003. In the USA, the highest dew points (above 80°F) occur near the Gulf of Mexico and in parts of the upper Mississippi Valley.

Yes, the dew points there can exceed 100 degrees.... even 110.

1995 had a dewpoint of 78 at BOS iirc. That was at 3:00am and was also a record I believe. Even MIA has trouble reaching a TD of 78, but that atmosphere was so humid and so capped.

Philly was it that day I think, on wunderground their max dew point was 83 with a high of 103 and a low of 81.

not true!!

A: The dew point temperature, which is based on how much water vapor is in the air, is a good measure of how humid it feels. A dew point above 70°F is quite humid. Very high dew points are often found near shallow, subtropical seas. Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, on the Persian Gulf, recorded a dew point of 95°F on July 8, 2003. In the USA, the highest dew points (above 80°F) occur near the Gulf of Mexico and in parts of the upper Mississippi Valley.

Hmm, I remember hearing about triple digit dewpoints during the gulf war, I guess they must have been exaggerating lol. At any rate, we've had dew points of 80 and over around here a few times that I can recall. 83 is the highest as far as I remember.

Pea soup fog all day... thermometer never got above the mid 60s at 3,700ft. Visibility was between 25-100 feet with blowing mist.

Back home now and it looks like we hit 83F for a high; currently 71F. Looking forward to the lows in the 40s on Tuesday and Wednesday nights with highs between 70F-75F in town.

Pea soup fog all day... thermometer never got above the mid 60s at 3,700ft. Visibility was between 25-100 feet with blowing mist.

Back home now and it looks like we hit 83F for a high; currently 71F. Looking forward to the lows in the 40s on Tuesday and Wednesday nights with highs between 70F-75F in town.

First frost?

i think i maxed out around 95...i have a healing sunburn so i didn't want to do anything outside, even though there are flowers to put in the ground...so i randomly decided to go see the 3pm showing of Transformers III...took cinnamon cheerios with me as my snack...took a sweatshirt since the a/c is always ridiculously overdone!

good entertainment to get me through the max heating of the day...

airmass is slowly drying out...too bad we just couldn't get the dynamics together for storms...

i think i maxed out around 95...i have a healing sunburn so i didn't want to do anything outside, even though there are flowers to put in the ground...so i randomly decided to go see the 3pm showing of Transformers III...took cinnamon cheerios with me as my snack...took a sweatshirt since the a/c is always ridiculously overdone!

good entertainment to get me through the max heating of the day...

airmass is slowly drying out...too bad we just couldn't get the dynamics together for storms...

Was it worth seeing, i love the transformers, was thinking about taking my stepdaughter/

Was it worth seeing, i love the transformers, was thinking about taking my stepdaughter/

not as good as the first...def better than the 2nd...great special effects! i went to the matinee just incase it was as bad as the 2nd one, but i say go ahead and go see it...glad to know there are other Transformers fans here!

not as good as the first...def better than the 2nd...great special effects! i went to the matinee just incase it was as bad as the 2nd one, but i say go ahead and go see it...glad to know there are other Transformers fans here!

Thanks, I cant wait.:thumbsup:

That is impressive. 70F here at 8pm. Very comfortable out there. Even 70F at 8pm is still pretty mild to me, 90F is pure insanity lol

I'm still at 83.4/70 right now, just horrible, even with clear skies we're refusing to radiate. Low was a miserable 78.2F last night. We'll get below that tonight, but probably not by more than a few degrees with the west winds. I think I should finally be able to shut off the A/C and open the windows tomorrow night as we're supposed to get down to 59-60F finally.

And Joe, we badly need some rain down here. How much precipitation have you recorded down there? I've had only 0.54" for the month of July, and my vegetable garden is starting to suffer. I watered everything a lot tonight, but the tomatoes/peppers in containers were starting to get a hint of wilt, the 7-foot corn plants absorbed a ton of water, and the petunias look a bit withered even though they are planted in partial shade. I hadn't watered in a few days since I like to encourage proper root development, but I'm beginning to think I should have pulled the trigger yesterday. The problem is that my gardens are all spread out and difficult to reach with a hose/sprinkler, and watering out of a can takes forever in these dry conditions for larger garden areas.

And it's not looking as if it's about to get much better....NWS has mid 80s here every day for the next week with sunny/mostly sunny pretty much every day. With WNW winds following this front, the atmosphere is going to dry out significantly, and that's going to cut down the soil moisture as well. I'm starting to get a bit concerned, I mean I can always water more, but there's nothing like a good rain. Despite the warm temperatures, the subsidence under this high pressure looks strong enough to eliminate any thunderstorm chances. Atmosphere has been very capped lately despite 95/70 conditions. I thought we'd see thunderstorms with this cold front, but we barely had a passing cloud all afternoon.

I'm still at 83.4/70 right now, just horrible, even with clear skies we're refusing to radiate. Low was a miserable 78.2F last night. We'll get below that tonight, but probably not by more than a few degrees with the west winds. I think I should finally be able to shut off the A/C and open the windows tomorrow night as we're supposed to get down to 59-60F finally.

And Joe, we badly need some rain down here. How much precipitation have you recorded down there? I've had only 0.54" for the month of July, and my vegetable garden is starting to suffer. I watered everything a lot tonight, but the tomatoes/peppers in containers were starting to get a hint of wilt, the 7-foot corn plants absorbed a ton of water, and the petunias look a bit withered even though they are planted in partial shade. I hadn't watered in a few days since I like to encourage proper root development, but I'm beginning to think I should have pulled the trigger yesterday. The problem is that my gardens are all spread out and difficult to reach with a hose/sprinkler, and watering out of a can takes forever in these dry conditions for larger garden areas.

And it's not looking as if it's about to get much better....NWS has mid 80s here every day for the next week with sunny/mostly sunny pretty much every day. With WNW winds following this front, the atmosphere is going to dry out significantly, and that's going to cut down the soil moisture as well. I'm starting to get a bit concerned, I mean I can always water more, but there's nothing like a good rain. Despite the warm temperatures, the subsidence under this high pressure looks strong enough to eliminate any thunderstorm chances. Atmosphere has been very capped lately despite 95/70 conditions. I thought we'd see thunderstorms with this cold front, but we barely had a passing cloud all afternoon.

Thats incredible HPN just to your east is 79/66

Archived