• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
July 5th and beyond Severe Weather thread

New Day 2 shows the slight risk expanded southward to include most of northern Illinois--Chicago and Peoria are now in play (but not quite here to Springfield yet--but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes on one of the Day 1 forecasts tomorrow):

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which IMO is weird because H7 temps are not progged to be that high, and it shows no CIN...

It's not weird at all. You have no trigger. You're in a region of strong AVA at 00z. You'd have to wait until the vort max over Galena/Dubuque reaches you to provide a source of lift for convection. EDIT: Also, you have no sfc convergence to provide a focus for that lift, so even as that vort max approaches, you're not likely to see much in the way of at least sfc-based convection.

GFS_3_2011070912_F60_RELV_500_MB.png

Pretty respectable swath of SFC-500mb bulk shear across the corn belt later tomorrow. Nice bullseye of 40kt bulk shear moving from Iowa into northern Illinois tomorrow evening. The vertical wind profile Thundersnow mentioned may help to develop strong mesovorticies along the leading edge of the QLCS after it matures/develops a cool pool. Assuming this evolves as shown by several of the models QLCS/MCS should make it all the way into Indiana as the stronger mid-level winds will maintain that far east. Instability will slowly tail off as it pushes east, but the maturity of it and the increasing nocturnal LLJ may keep it going well into the night.

For anyone interested, Ryan Maue runs 4 km graphics of the new NAM that will be nested within the new operational NAM's domain across the CONUS. This is NOT SPC 4 km wrf but something that will be new when the parallel NAM goes active. It will run 4 times a day just like the regular NAM products. It runs hourly to 36 then in three hour chunks to 60.

http://www.coaps.fsu...cref_conus.html

Jesus...look at the WAA wing along the IL/WI border...that would be another historic derecho in all likelihood if the GFS thermos and shear profiles play out.

holy smokes....and my 5pm tee time would work out too!

Better tie the tent down well... :twister:

I'm bringing my equipment with, so if it occurs i'll be ready.

Jesus...look at the WAA wing along the IL/WI border...that would be another historic derecho in all likelihood if the GFS thermos and shear profiles play out.

Ya we'll have to see kinda a messy pattern, high shear low surface convergence to the north could go up, or the WI, IL, IA stuff could go off, it'll be interesting to see the probs we could have a few areas of severe weather going on. Bulk shear sure is impressive up north just gotta see if the boundary can sneak up here. Down south you guys just need that 500 s/w to get things going hopefully it pops things because the maintenance and upstream growth potential is large. I think a decent MCS threat exists for Tony's region with a chance for discrete's at the beg. we could have some big hailers and a few tornadoes up here but still conditional on the boundary layer return.

For anyone interested, Ryan Maue runs 4 km graphics of the new NAM that will be nested within the new operational NAM's domain across the CONUS. This is NOT SPC 4 km wrf but something that will be new when the parallel NAM goes active. It will run 4 times a day just like the regular NAM products. It runs hourly to 36 then in three hour chunks to 60.

http://www.coaps.fsu...cref_conus.html

So are they replacing the NAM model with this newer version, or just nesting new parameters into the current NAM. I see it goes operational the 12th of this month.

So are they replacing the NAM model with this newer version, or just nesting new parameters into the current NAM. I see it goes operational the 12th of this month.

No the current NAM is being replaced with a signficantly updated version. The "parallel" is already being tested on NCEP's parallel model website. http://www.nco.ncep....wpara/analysis/

http://www.americanw...grade-graphics/

The 4 km NAM will be a nested run over the CONUS within the operational domain. I as well as Chi Storm and I am sure others have been using the parallel NAM, and it has significantly outperformed the current operational with the biggest difference being it seemingly can actually get the synoptics right (something it could never do before and was typically worthless beyond 24-36 hours).

Unfortunately, the launch has been delayed until sometime in August. (see the linked thread above).

No the current NAM is being replaced with a signficantly updated version. The "parallel" is already being tested on NCEP's parallel model website. http://www.nco.ncep....wpara/analysis/

http://www.americanw...grade-graphics/

The 4 km NAM will be a nested run over the CONUS within the operational domain. I as well as Chi Storm and I am sure others have been using the parallel NAM, and it has significantly outperformed the current operational with the biggest difference being it seemingly can actually get the synoptics right (something it could never do before and was typically worthless beyond 24-36 hours).

Unfortunately, the launch has been delayed until sometime in August. (see the linked thread above).

Awesome, thanks for the info, and link!

On another note, Monday is looking good across Southern and Central South Dakota with a shortwave trough moving east into the area along with 40-50 kts of bulk shear, favorable hodographs, CAPE in excess of 2000 j/kg and relatively weak capping. However, the relatively meager flow in the lower levels will likely limit tornadic potential.

East of Rapid City along the I-90 corridor:

GFS_3_2011071000_F48_44.0000N_100.5000W.png

GFS_3_2011071000_F48_44.0000N_101.0000W_HODO.png

day2probotlk_0600_any.gif

SPC AC 100559

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1259 AM CDT SUN JUL 10 2011

VALID 111200Z - 121200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS THE N CENTRAL CONUS...

...SYNOPSIS...

WHILE A BELT OF FASTER FLOW ALOFT REMAINS ACROSS THE NRN TIER OF THE

COUNTRY...A VERY STRONG RIDGE WILL PERSIST ACROSS MUCH OF THE

CENTRAL AND ERN CONUS. IN THE WEST...AN UPPER LOW/TROUGH WILL DIG

SLOWLY SWD ALONG THE W COAST...MAKING VERY LITTLE IF ANY EWD

PROGRESS. LATE IN THE PERIOD...A WEAK TROUGH CROSSING ERN CANADA

WILL EXPAND A BIT SWD...RESULTING IN THE EVOLUTION OF WEAKLY

CYCLONIC FLOW INTO THE NORTHEAST U.S. LATE.

AT THE SURFACE...GENERALLY WEAK FEATURES ARE EXPECTED...THOUGH A

FAIRLY WELL-PRONOUNCED BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL REMAIN QUASI-STATIONARY

FROM THE NRN HIGH PLAINS SEWD INTO THE MID MO VALLEY REGION.

PRIMARY SEVERE POTENTIAL THIS PERIOD IS PROGGED TO THE NORTH OF THIS

FRONT.

...N CENTRAL CONUS INTO THE UPPER GREAT LAKES...

WHILE LARGER-SCALE RIDGING ALOFT WILL PREVAIL ACROSS THIS REGION

DOWNSTREAM OF THE W COAST TROUGH...MODELS FORECAST A WEAK SHORT-WAVE

TROUGH TO SHIFT INTO/ACROSS THE NRN HIGH PLAINS REGION DURING THE

AFTERNOON. THIS FEATURE SHOULD ASSIST IN AFTERNOON STORM

DEVELOPMENT...AS AIRMASS BECOMES MODERATELY UNSTABLE NEAR/N OF THE

FRONT. WITH LOW-LEVEL SELYS FROM THE MID MO VALLEY WNWWD INTO MT ON

THE COOL SIDE OF THE SURFACE BAROCLINIC ZONE RESIDING BENEATH

MODERATE WLYS/SWLYS AT MID LEVELS...SHEAR WILL SUPPORT

ORGANIZED/ROTATING STORMS. WHILE SOME QUESTION EXISTS REGARDING

OVERALL STORM COVERAGE GIVEN BACKGROUND RIDGING...CONVECTIVE

COVERAGE COULD INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENING AS LOW-LEVEL JET

INTENSIFIES. STILL...WILL MAINTAIN ONLY 15%/SLIGHT RISK FORECAST

ATTM -- WITH SOME POTENTIAL FOR A PROBABILITY UPGRADE IN LATER

FORECASTS.

FARTHER E...LESS NUMEROUS/LESS VIGOROUS STORMS ARE POSSIBLE AS A

VERY WEAK SURFACE BOUNDARY MOVES INTO THE UPPER MS VALLEY/UPPER

GREAT LAKES REGION. AMPLE INSTABILITY BUT WEAKER SHEAR AS COMPARED

TO AREAS FARTHER W SUGGESTS LESS SUBSTANTIAL THREAT FOR LOCALLY

DAMAGING WINDS/HAIL...BUT WILL MAINTAIN SLIGHT RISK EWD INTO THIS

REGION.

...THE SOUTHEAST...

AFTERNOON HEATING/DESTABILIZATION WILL SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF

DIURNAL SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS THIS REGION. WEAK FLOW

ALOFT SUGGESTS ISOLATED/PULSE-TYPE STORMS...THOUGH 10-15 KT NELY

MID-LEVEL FLOW MAY ALLOW A SEMI-ORGANIZED BAND OR BANDS OF STORMS TO

MOVE SWWD ACROSS GA/AL AND VICINITY ALONG WITH ATTENDANT/ISOLATED

WIND POTENTIAL.

..GOSS.. 07/10/2011

I remember you saying that you are camping, but where exactly? I love severe weather, but I always hated it when I used to camp a lot.

EDIT: oh, and obviously, we want reports...and pics.

Better tie the tent down well... :twister:

I'm bringing my equipment with, so if it occurs i'll be ready.

I remember you saying that you are camping, but where exactly? I love severe weather, but I always hated it when I used to camp a lot.

EDIT: oh, and obviously, we want reports...and pics.

I'll be out at White Pines Forest State Park, which is just south of Mount Morris, IL.

I'll probably throw up the live stream and/or pics if anything occurs in the area.

Archived