• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
July 5th and beyond Severe Weather thread

IIRC right around that same time (June '98) there was an event in Wisconsin east of Lacrosse where some airforce base measured winds over 125mph. Don't quote me on that, but I think it was something like that. I'll have to look it up when I get back, gotta head out for the evening.

The southern Great Lakes derecho, roughly a month prior (May 30-31) to the event in Iowa. 128 mph wind gust measured northeast of Watertown, WI.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southern Great Lakes derecho, roughly a month prior (May 30-31) to the event in Iowa. 128 mph wind gust measured northeast of Watertown, WI.

Yeah the storm surveys for the West side of Michigan estimated the winds at 130, interestingly enough this also was a nighttime to early morning event.

Yeah, you are right, the storms weren't "good enough".... Perhaps if one of trees around my house had fallen on my car, or my house, would they have rated a "great" from you then? This is the 2nd time in less than 3 weeks I am going mulitple days without power, and this after just replacing everything I lost from my fridge and freezer after the last outage. (On this past Saturday, just finished restocking the meat and other losses from the last outage) Once again, I have to miss work, because I work from home. Since I have no power, I have no computers, so I cannot work. The first power outage cost me a couple of hundred bucks... this one is going to do the same, and its money my girlfriend and I don't have. I am not in the mood to read frivolous comments from some folks on on the sidelines, giving the storms a grade, like it was some sort of academic exercise. Or lamenting that the storms lacked power, or some other feature, denying them the "thrill" they were seeking, what ever it was.. Just so you know.: More trees than I can count were blown down in my neighborhood. Three of them just narrowly missed the houses they close to. At least two cars were damaged by falling trees... I had the sick feeling of watching the wind bend the tree over that is next to my driveway, until it touched my car....my new car... the one I just bought a few weeks ago.. The wind bent the tree over a couple of times, and each time I feared it would snap, and damage my new, hard earned vehicle... It's not a huge tree, but it's not a small one either, but it is big enough to substantially damage the vehicle. If you want to "rate" storms, please do so in a less than glib manner, and keep in mind just how these storms affect the people of the areas they pass through.

Power crews are at the hotel I am at, and as they get ready to go to work, and even though they are working in this area, it is still going to be Wednesday evening at the earliest before my lights come back on. So, I am on the way home soon to clean out the fridge and freezer once again, and toss out $$$$ worth of meat, and other perishables. And, face the prospect of another short paycheck....

As far as I am concerned, your "not quite good enough" storms, were, "good enough"... perhaps, they were even, " a bit much".

Now, when a prediction goes up for severe weather, I pay closer attention to it, and look at it with more concern. And I am giving serious concern to seriously curtailing a trip in the fall to see my son graduate basic training so we can buy a generator, so I am prepared for the next time... and based on what I have seen so far this summer, there WILL be a "next time"

I didn't say the storms weren't good enough, I was responding to AppsRunner who said a meteorologist in Toledo said the severe weather event could have been locally worse if it wasn't for the cloud debris from the MCS, and I was agreeing with that thought as it was true.

If you're going to respond to my posts at least what you're talking about first.

Yeah the storm surveys for the West side of Michigan estimated the winds at 130, interestingly enough this also was a nighttime to early morning event.

1998may31mimap550.jpg

"Area of Lower Michigan affected by the worst damage from the May 30-31, 1998 derecho. Red numbers are maximum measured wind gusts in mph. Orange numbers are estimated maximum gusts in mph, based on a damage survey by Grand Rapids NWS Forecast Office meteorologists. Thirteen Michigan counties (noted in black lettering and within light blue border) together were declared a Federal Disaster Area by the Federal Emergency Managers Association. The purple "S" represents where a "seiche" took place on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan."

I'm sure there are more comprehensive studies out there, but the LLJ is pretty critical in sustaining these derechos. Hence the tendency for these to occur at night.

That is the ECMWF valid at 00z on the 20th (so Tuesday evening). The shaded is MUCAPE (>4000 is white), and maximum values are pushing 5000 J/kg. The thin black lines with numbers is precip (to give an idea of expected convection) and as one might guess the Euro is developing something north of the strongest instability and cap. Black barbs are 850 mb winds, with a decent 30 kt LLJ already at 00z. Light blue barbs are roughly 0-2 km storm relative winds, and you can see values near the convection in excess of 35 kt, indicating the potential to balance the motion of the cold pool as well as its likely rapid movement if it does develop. Finally, tan barbs are 0-3 km shear values, in excess of 30 kt, which again is good for wind producing MCSs.

Conditions as they stand at 180 hours on the Euro would appear favorable for some wind events. The usual caveats still apply of course, as these are mesoscale processes they are highly changeable. But strictly on an overviews, you would think with that kind of heat and humidity that the northern periphery of the high will see some big complexes.

thanks for posting the image sir, It's nice seeing all the overlays on one image. Just looking at the CAPE loop on accuwx pro, its pretty insane the amount of instability being shown day after day up in that area.

thanks for posting the image sir, It's nice seeing all the overlays on one image. Just looking at the CAPE loop on accuwx pro, its pretty insane the amount of instability being shown day after day up in that area.

I can already foresee the future here. I fly to Iowa, bake under oppressive heat and humidity, while a ridge roller slams northern New England (and I would be scheduled for midnights if not for this vacation).

I can already foresee the future here. I fly to Iowa, bake under oppressive heat and humidity, while a ridge roller slams northern New England (and I would be scheduled for midnights if not for this vacation).

hopefully we can get a few southeastward moving complexes around here this coming weekend/next week.

hopefully we can get a few southeastward moving complexes around here this coming weekend/next week.

An obvious factor that the models have no hope of resolving is the previous day's OFB. Much like today the derecho lays out a boundary to the south that fires the storms the next day. Maybe one will be able to beat the heat back far enough south to bring I-80 into play.

An obvious factor that the models have no hope of resolving is the previous day's OFB. Much like today the derecho lays out a boundary to the south that fires the storms the next day. Maybe one will be able to beat the heat back far enough south to bring I-80 into play.

Yeah this is part of the reason why I think my area is certainly in play for some action :)

Saskatchewan

TORNADO WARNING
UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 6:17 PM CST TUESDAY 12 JULY 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
TORNADO WARNING FOR:
=NEW= R.M. OF VANSCOY INCLUDING DELISLE ASQUITH AND VANSCOY
=NEW= R.M. OF MONTROSE INCLUDING DONOVAN AND SWANSON
     R.M. OF PERDUE INCLUDING PERDUE AND KINLEY
     R.M. OF HARRIS INCLUDING HARRIS AND TESSIER.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
AS OF 6:16 PM CST, ENVIRONMENT CANADA METEOROLOGISTS ARE TRACKING A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO LOCATED 10
KILOMETRES NORTH OF HARRIS HEADING EAST AT 30 KM/H.  IN ADDITION, IT
IS LIKELY THAT THIS STORM IS PRODUCING GOLF BALL SIZED OR LARGER
HAIL.

Thought you all might like to see this---

"This photo shows the lightning damage to the WYSO antenna and the fiberglass casing that covers it. The antenna bay is 405 above the ground, attached to the WYSO tower on Clifton Road south of Yellow Springs. Photo taken by Jeremiah Harmeling, a member of the crew that climbed the tower to assess the damage on Tuesday, July 12."

If anyone has access to the Euro instability values...look the CAPE forecast and checkout the values being printed out from friday to next weds in the northern plains to the upper miss valley. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see another textbook derecho event diving southeast at somepoint during that timeframe.

Because of that observation, I am going ahead and starting a fresh July 15-20 severe weather thread for the possible upcoming threat next week--which would include the latest Day 3 from the SPC. But we can still use this one for any events today and tomorrow (plus further discussion on the Chicago storms, etc.).

yeah i guess i should have been more specific, I'm talking straight line, convective winds without any topographic enhancement.

I think there were thunderstorm winds of 150 mph winds in Virginia many years ago. 5/31/98 also had extreme winds topping out in the 130-140 mph range. Not really sure how extensive the record keeping is, but suffice to say anytime you get into the 120+ range, that is mighty impressive.

I beat the game...

Also, wouldn't be surprised to see some things go up in South Dakota today.

mcd1616.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1616

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0355 PM CDT THU JUL 14 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF NRN AND CNTRL SOUTH DAKOTA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 142055Z - 142300Z

A WATCH LIKELY WILL BE NEEDED AT SOME POINT LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR

EVENING...PERHAPS WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

GIVEN LINGERING INHIBITION ASSOCIATED WITH A VERY WARM ELEVATED

MIXED LAYER...TIMING OF STORM INITIATION REMAINS A BIT UNCLEAR. BUT

A WEAK SHORT WAVE TROUGH CONTINUES TO GRADUALLY LIFT OUT OF WYOMING

INTO THE NORTHERN PLAINS. BETWEEN NOW AND EARLY EVENING...STRONGER

FORCING FOR UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE IS

EXPECTED TO SPREAD ACROSS A WARM FRONTAL ZONE ACROSS NORTHERN SOUTH

DAKOTA INTO EXTREME SOUTHERN NORTH DAKOTA...WHERE LOW-LEVEL

CONVERGENCE IS MAXIMIZED...AND LOWER/MID 70S SURFACE DEW POINTS ARE

CONTRIBUTING TO MIXED LAYER CAPE UP TO AROUND 4000 J/KG. AT THE

PRESENT TIME...GUIDANCE APPEARS SUGGESTIVE THAT VIGOROUS BOUNDARY

LAYER BASED STORM DEVELOPMENT MAY NOT OCCUR UNTIL CLOSER TO 15/00Z

NEAR THE MOBRIDGE AREA. HOWEVER...DEEPENING CONVECTION NOW APPEARS

TO BE IN THE PROCESS OF DEVELOPING OFF/EAST NORTHEAST OF THE BLACK

HILLS AREA. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS IS BEING AIDED BY AN AREA OF

ENHANCED LIFT THAT COULD SUPPORT STORMS WEST OF MOBRIDGE PRIOR TO

15/00Z.

REGARDLESS...ONCE STORMS FORM...AND BEFORE UPSCALE GROWTH OCCURS

LATER THIS EVENING...VERTICAL SHEAR NEAR A 40-50 KT 500 MB JET

STREAK NOSING EASTWARD ACROSS SOUTH DAKOTA WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR

SUPERCELLS. VERY LARGE HAIL IS POSSIBLE...ALONG WITH A RISK FOR

TORNADOES...BEFORE STRONG/DAMAGING WIND GUSTS BECOME MORE PROMINENT

WITH AN EVOLVING MESOSCALE CONVECTIVE SYSTEM.

..KERR.. 07/14/2011

I think there were thunderstorm winds of 150 mph winds in Virginia many years ago. 5/31/98 also had extreme winds topping out in the 130-140 mph range. Not really sure how extensive the record keeping is, but suffice to say anytime you get into the 120+ range, that is mighty impressive.

I don't know any specifics of Virginia, but one for the rare file the March 1993 Superstorm produced a serial derecho through the Gulf of Mexico. The Institute for Meteorology of Cuba surveyed and estimated winds of up to 130 mph in and around Havana.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/papers/Alfonso_1996.pdf

Archived