• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July Obs.

dsaur

had several downpours yesterday here in myrtle beach. it rained off and on from morning until about 1pm. Forecast is for rain today and tomorrow (60%) but have seen nothing

Thunder in area of Pirateland campground in myrtle beach. Had some drizzle. Still no rain to amount to anything. Radar looks promising for some in thiis area.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This summer is blowing past hot summers away in terms of 90+ temps in Atlanta. This is a comparison of this summer to 2 other really hot summers ( 1980 and 2010)

# of 90+ days through July 9:

1980: 21

2010: 24

2011: 39

Just to keep things in perspective, Atlanta only averages 40 or 45 days of 90+ for an entire summer and they have just about reached that number on July 9 !!

This summer is blowing past hot summers away in terms of 90+ temps in Atlanta. This is a comparison of this summer to 2 other really hot summers ( 1980 and 2010)

# of 90+ days through July 9:

1980: 21

2010: 24

2011: 39

Just to keep things in perspective, Atlanta only averages 40 or 45 days of 90+ for an entire summer and they have just about reached that number on July 9 !!

all I can say is lol, you provided no link at all. On top of that you don't state if you are using meteorological summer of actual summer solstice from a starting point. Regardless there has only been 39 days in Meteorological summer so far ,so I doubt your numbers are even close to correct.

all I can say is lol, you provided no link at all. On top of that you don't state if you are using meteorological summer of actual summer solstice from a starting point. Regardless there has only been 39 days in Meteorological summer so far ,so I doubt your numbers are even close to correct.

I went to the NWS website to add the number of 90+ days for 2010 and 2011 and I went to wunderground.com to find the info for 1980. This is the # of 90+ days in Atlanta this year by month:

May = 6

June= 24

July = 9

I know I said "summer", but I was looking at any month in the year in which there were 90+ temps.

Thunder all around,light rain at the moment, about .20 thus far. Looks like most of the heavy stuff will slide just to my south. Congrats Peachtree City!

Ahem....you forgot TonyLand :thumbsup: It is definitely hit and miss time around here. Got .2 in over a week, then I've gotten 2 inches in the last 3 days. A nice 1.2 in the last hour or so! At least lately even if it doesn't rain, I get the clouds, so...though I may see the 90's I'm also apt to see the 70's too. I'll take that!

Heat Index is all very subjective and based on human perception. As different people perceive heat index temperatures differently it is not very technical and why you should just look at temperature in general. There are numerous variables that go into calculating a heat index and not every person fits them exactly so a heat index value will have a different effect on different types of people.

As to temp vs skin feel......If you want to freakin' kill yourself because of the heat and humidity, ...It Is Too Hot!!! Please, winter...come swiftly, lol. T

Heat advisory issued for most of Northern and Central Alabama...

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL

511 PM CDT SAT JUL 9 2011

...HEAT BUILDING ONCE AGAIN ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA...

.TEMPERATURES WILL CLIMB INTO THE STRESSFUL AND POTENTIALLY

DANGEROUS LEVEL ACROSS CENTRAL ALABAMA THROUGH THE NEXT SEVERAL

DAYS...COURTESY OF A LARGE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE.

WHILE HEAT IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH SUMMERTIME IN ALABAMA...

SOMETIMES THE HEAT RISES TO A LEVEL THAT IT BECOMES MORE THAN

JUST AN INCONVENIENCE...AND IS MORE OF A SERIOUS ISSUE FOR SOME

PEOPLE. THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS WILL BE SUCH AN ABNORMALLY HOT

OCCASION.

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 7 PM CDT SUNDAY...

* TEMPERATURE...AIR TEMPERATURES WILL REACH 95 TO 100 DEGREES...

WITH HEAT INDEX VALUES CLIMBING ABOVE 105 DEGREES IN MANY

AREAS.

* IMPACTS...PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THIS HEAT CAN BE DANGEROUS IF

THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HEAT ADVISORY MEANS THAT A PERIOD OF HOT TEMPERATURES IS

EXPECTED. THE COMBINATION OF HOT TEMPERATURES AND HIGH HUMIDITY

WILL COMBINE TO CREATE A SITUATION IN WHICH HEAT ILLNESSES ARE

POSSIBLE. DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS...STAY IN AN AIR-CONDITIONED

ROOM...STAY OUT OF THE SUN...AND CHECK UP ON RELATIVES AND

NEIGHBORS.

image_full6.gif

Ahem....you forgot TonyLand :thumbsup: It is definitely hit and miss time around here. Got .2 in over a week, then I've gotten 2 inches in the last 3 days. A nice 1.2 in the last hour or so! At least lately even if it doesn't rain, I get the clouds, so...though I may see the 90's I'm also apt to see the 70's too. I'll take that!

As to temp vs skin feel......If you want to freakin' kill yourself because of the heat and humidity, ...It Is Too Hot!!! Please, winter...come swiftly, lol. T

Was not sure it was going to hit you, but glad it did! I got about .50 out of it. Many and frequent cloud to ground lightning strikes south of me. There must have been a structure fire as right after it calmed down, I could smell the acrid smoke blowing in from the southerly breeze out of the storm.

same here. At midnight it was still 80. The wicked dewpoints are coming for most everybody, but slightly less in the lee of the Apps and the mountains, but not comfy anywhere. Downright dangerous in west Tenn and Kentucky for a period, with GFS predicting dewpoints anywhere from upper 70s' to MID 80s. Parts of Alabama as well on Monday afternoon and night. Then eastern Carolinas and part of GA may get the 80 dewpoints at some point Mon or Tuesday. Never experienced that, and don't want to.

post-38-0-75132400-1310304936.gif

post-38-0-08815800-1310304941.gif

same here. At midnight it was still 80. The wicked dewpoints are coming for most everybody, but slightly less in the lee of the Apps and the mountains, but not comfy anywhere. Downright dangerous in west Tenn and Kentucky for a period, with GFS predicting dewpoints anywhere from upper 70s' to MID 80s. Parts of Alabama as well on Monday afternoon and night. Then eastern Carolinas and part of GA may get the 80 dewpoints at some point Mon or Tuesday. Never experienced that, and don't want to.

post-38-0-75132400-1310304936.gif

post-38-0-08815800-1310304941.gif

We came close when we had that lovely heat index in SOP last year of 119 F. I am not looking forward to this.

post-139-0-38397200-1310312359.jpg

Wxkid/folks,

Fwiw, the 6Z 7/9 gfs has backed off further on the very intense heat with "only" +22 C at 850 and 98 F at the sfc for 7/12-3 for KATL. Compare this to just 24 hours earlier when that 6Z gfs had 26C as the hottest at 850 and 103 F as the hottest at the sfc. The 0Z 7/9 Euro also has its hottest at 850 at ~+22C. Even the Euro has cooled about 1 C in the last 24 hours.

http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=KATL

Folks,

Compared to 24 hours earlier at KATL, The 6Z 7/10 gfs has cooled a tiny bit more at 850 with ~+21.5 C for its hottest. vs. ~+22 C 24 hours earlier. Also, this compares with ~+25.5 to +26 C just 48 hours earlier (~7-8 F cooling at 850). At the sfc, it kept KATL's 7/12 high at 98 F but lowered 7/13's high from 98 F to 96 F. It had KATL at a whopping 103 F for those days just 48 hours earlier. The 0Z 7/10 Euro has also slightly cooled at 850 with it now at +21.5 C vs. +22 C 24 hours earlier and +23 C 48 hours earlier.

I'm now thinking that the highest KATL will get this week will be ~96-97 F. That's still quite hot and uncomfy, especially considering the humidity, but it isn't the ridculous 103 F that had been predicted for the second time this month by the GFS (1st time was for very early July). By the way, the 6Z gfs has KATL's high for today at 95 F. With its noon temp. at only 85 F, I see "only" low 90's for today. Also, it has TD's of ~66-67 vs. the actual TD of 73 F.

http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=KATL

87 temp with a DP of 78, giving a HI of 100. Like everything, you get used to it. I think one day in the last ten weeks had a DP under 70, and that was a 69. Unlikely to see another for another eight weeks or so. If it wasn't for the sea breeze, it would be more ridiculous on the body. The breeze helps a lot. Still beats the seven month winters in the north though.

Lol, the 12Z gfs per MeteoStar has KATL at 96 F at 2 PM and 97 F for a high! It is only 86 F at 1 PM. So, it will obviously be way off as of 2 PM. It also has the TD at only 69 vs. the actual in the low 70's. This model is in lala land at the sfc.

We have been seeing temps in the 90s or higher everyday since like the beginning of june and dewpoints have been in the 70s and yesterday was 80. Overnight lows are always around 73-76. It was 94 with a dew point of 79 earlier with the heat index near 110, now its only 87 with a dew point of 78 and HI of 101 because of the storms around. It still hasnt rained.

Lol, the 12Z gfs per MeteoStar has KATL at 96 F at 2 PM and 97 F for a high! It is only 86 F at 1 PM. So, it will obviously be way off as of 2 PM. It also has the TD at only 69 vs. the actual in the low 70's. This model is in lala land at the sfc.

Larry, it was cloudy all morning and has only been full sun for just a while. I've only just hit 87 at 1:54. My kind of deep summer day, lol. Especially if it clouds up again this afternoon as it has most days this week. T

Archived