• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Depression Arlene

This is arguably a TS right now given the wide swath of 40+ kt FL winds north of the center, peaking at 45-46 kt so far, and numerous unflagged SFMR > 35 kt. Center isn't well-defined, but I've seen worse-looking circulations classified in the past.

Do you think those winds are completely related to the llc of 95L? It seems a little strange that these winds were severe hundred miles northeast of the circulation. Maybe the boosted winds could be enhanced due to the gradient between the high and low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico, creating a low level wind surge off the Yucatan?

291gm86.gif

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think those winds are completely related to the llc of 95L? It seems a little strange that these winds were severe hundred miles northeast of the circulation. Maybe the boosted winds could be enhanced due to the gradient between the high and low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico, creating a low level wind surge off the Yucatan?

Do you think it's strange? I think it's just a seriously broad, loose circulation. And it's interesting that I think the GFS was modeling it this way days ago.

The developing outflow on the E and SE side is looking great, so it's starting to breath better too. The convection does appear to be a bit better looking near the center too. I'd guess as we go through the diurnal phase tonight it'll help tightent the system up a bit and concentrate the vorticity better...this may pull the center around a bit too, so determining a good forward motion will be hard, but that's fairly normal in a developing system.

Hopefully as the little ULL moves off to the W that will help to create a bit of an outflow channel on the West side of the system but I have a feeling Arlene may remain a bit of a lopsided system through her duration.

Probably looking at 45-50mph at landfall unless something drastically changes. Of course if none of this goes as planned tonight time will be limited for anything decent to develop, so we'll know something as we go through the evening tonight.

What's interesting to me is that the tropical wave that helped this system get going maintained a westerly course throughout its trip across the Atlantic. I kinda wondering out loud will this be a sign that the Western & Northern Gulf of Mexico states may be affected by a tropical storm or hurricane in the near future if this pattern maintains itself.

Do you think it's strange? I think it's just a seriously broad, loose circulation. And it's interesting that I think the GFS was modeling it this way days ago.

It just seems that the winds on the NE flank might be more due to an increased pressure gradient rather than a streghtening low level circulation... since the 30+ knot winds extent well into the Caribbean per the GFS 850mb analysis.

It's official. We have TS Arlene

Forecasted to strengthen to 50kts, with landfall very close, just south of Tampico

Where did you see this? I check the NHC site and it still says 90%, every hurricane season people on EasternUS and now American say that it's official before I see any official announcement, is there somewhere i'm not seeing this announcement or are you guys just presuming that in the next 10-15 minutes the NHC will announce that it is Officially arlene?

Where did you see this? I check the NHC site and it still says 90%, every hurricane season people on EasternUS and now American say that it's official before I see any official announcement, is there somewhere i'm not seeing this announcement or are you guys just presuming that in the next 10-15 minutes the NHC will announce that it is Officially arlene?

Refresh the NHC site

See previous posts too.

Refresh the NHC site

Yeah, i see it now, but when i saw the post from 'weatherkid' I went over to the NHC site, refreshed it, and still saw 90%, i was just wondering if i was missing anything. regardless, congrats everyone on finally getting underway with this season.

Looks like its time to get the dust off the rules to the good ole hurricane drinking game pepsi.gif (HINT: not pepsi)

Yeah, i see it now, but when i saw the post from 'weatherkid' I went over to the NHC site, refreshed it, and still saw 90%, i was just wondering if i was missing anything. regardless, congrats everyone on finally getting underway with this season.

Looks like its time to get the dust off the rules to the good ole hurricane drinking game pepsi.gif (HINT: not pepsi)

Whenever you see those postings with the "RENUMBER" text and then the subsequent ones with the storm name on the end that means it's generally official.

The official stuff...

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM ARLENE SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 1

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012011

700 PM CDT TUE JUN 28 2011

...TROPICAL STORM FORMS IN THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO...

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING ISSUED FOR PORTIONS OF MEXICO...

SUMMARY OF 700 PM CDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...21.2N 93.7W

ABOUT 280 MI...450 KM ESE OF TAMPICO MEXICO

ABOUT 240 MI...385 KM E OF TUXPAN MEXICO

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...40 MPH...65 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 7 MPH...11 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB...29.62 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE

COAST OF NORTHEASTERN MEXICO FROM BARRA DE NAUTLA NORTHWARD TO

BAHIA ALGODONES.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* BARRA DE NAUTLA TO BAHIA ALGODONES

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN 36 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR

PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK

------------------------------

AT 700 PM CDT...0000 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ARLENE WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 21.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 93.7 WEST. ARLENE IS

MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/H. A TURN

TOWARD THE WEST IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ON THE

FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF ARLENE IS EXPECTED TO REACH THE COAST

WITHIN THE WARNING AREA ON THURSDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH...65 KM/H...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115 MILES...185

KM...MAINLY TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND

----------------------

ARLENE IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8

INCHES OVER THE MEXICAN STATES OF TAMAULIPAS AND VERACRUZ...WITH

POSSIBLE ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 12 INCHES OVER MOUNTAINOUS

TERRAIN. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND

MUDSLIDES.

WIND...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REACH THE COAST

WITHIN THE WARNING AREA BY LATE WEDNESDAY...MAKING OUTSIDE

PREPARATIONS DIFFICULT OR DANGEROUS.

STORM SURGE...STORM SURGE WILL RAISE WATER LEVELS BY AS MUCH AS 1 TO

2 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST NEAR AND