Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
July 2011 general discussion/obs thread

OHSnow

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what to do... I NEED to water but can't until tuesday evening if I don't this evening. Thee ole blah, blah, blah, I know if I water it will rain 2" and if I don't water it wont rain.. Guess my only safe choice is to obviously water :clap:

Ehhh... Why waste water? My front yard (at least the weeds are still green):

what to do... I NEED to water but can't until tuesday evening if I don't this evening. Thee ole blah, blah, blah, I know if I water it will rain 2" and if I don't water it wont rain.. Guess my only safe choice is to obviously water :clap:

I second that. If you do wait until Tuesday night, your lawn shouldn't get much worse. Even if it doesn't rain here, there's likely to be cloud debris, which will at least keep temps from getting too out of hand (like the century mark :arrowhead: ).

On second thought, water away.:devilsmiley:

Growing up my father wasted more water than ever should be allowed and sadly it has carried over to me :arrowhead: Trust me it makes me sick watering for hrs when there is probably near a billion people who do not have access to clean drinking water..

it can can really get nasty tho when you have a dog that pisses like a fire hose all day and obviously craps and if you don't get any rain for like 5 days and its sweltering out. I like to at least give the lawn a good rinsing in those situations.. Thankfully I've only had to water twice so far over the last 2.5 summers.

Looks like a record high today at Alpena, Michigan. The record was 95, set in 1931. It's reached at least 97 there this afternoon. Gaylord also reached a record high of 93, beating the old record of 92 from 1983. Hot day in general across northern Michigan, especially near the lakeshores with some added downsloping. Iron Mountain, Traverse City, Marquette (Sawyer Airport), Oscoda all reached at least 95, in addition to the 97 at Alpena.

I'm sure it's day like this up there that Kid Rock recalls so fondly in All Summer Long.

Looks like a record high today at Alpena, Michigan. The record was 95, set in 1931. It's reached at least 97 there this afternoon. Gaylord also reached a record high of 93, beating the old record of 92 from 1983. Hot day in general across northern Michigan, especially near the lakeshores with some added downsloping. Iron Mountain, Traverse City, Marquette (Sawyer Airport), Oscoda all reached at least 95, in addition to the 97 at Alpena.

I'm sure it's day like this up there that Kid Rock recalls so fondly in All Summer Long.

Yea..Im in Elk Rapids ATM. Straight up hot here. Hit 95 earlier with insane humidity. Most of the vacation rental homes have no AC and the locals call this "extreme". Gotta love downsloping. DTW was at 91 while Elk Rapids was at 95. Crazy heat for up here in the north country. Now if I could just get a beautiful MCS to roll off Lake Michigan.

Yea..Im in Elk Rapids ATM. Straight up hot here. Hit 95 earlier with insane humidity. Most of the vacation rental homes have no AC and the locals call this "extreme". Gotta love downsloping. DTW was at 91 while Elk Rapids was at 95. Crazy heat for up here in the north country. Now if I could just get a beautiful MCS to roll off Lake Michigan.

Back in the summer 2006 I was in Charlevoix working it hit 98 and 99 back to back days..then a ripping cold front came through dropped the temp almost 40 degrees the 3rd day had to put on a hoody. Crazy weather up there.

I have a question for the mets on this board: how do you even put up with the weather models? It seems human brains are many times smarter than the models, even when they initialize well. Take tonight for example: most of the models indicated strong convection developing near Lake Michigan, yet the mets were smart enough to put a very low chance of precip in. They clearly had a good handle on the cap, forcing (or lack thereof), and other factors. I ask this because I think the models are a large part of the reason mets are maligned by many in the general public. It's hard to go against them, especially in the short term, yet given the large margin of error in them, you almost can't.

I have a question for the mets on this board: how do you even put up with the weather models? It seems human brains are many times smarter than the models, even when they initialize well. Take tonight for example: most of the models indicated strong convection developing near Lake Michigan, yet the mets were smart enough to put a very low chance of precip in. They clearly had a good handle on the cap, forcing (or lack thereof), and other factors. I ask this because I think the models are a large part of the reason mets are maligned by many in the general public. It's hard to go against them, especially in the short term, yet given the large margin of error in them, you almost can't.

Meteorologists aren't "maligned" by the public, they are misunderstood. Trivialization of careers is simply something that will happen to all folks in poorly understood fields, especially sciences. While there certainly are some model hugging meteorologists these days with little to no ability beyond the models alone, much of the dislike and general lack of understanding of meteorology comes from public ignorance/misunderstanding, not model hugging meteorologists. People simply do not realize all the meteorological data they have available to them was created and disseminated by meteorologists. They take for granted 24/7 weather information which is often correct--information which wasn't even available 50+ years ago the way it is today. 100s of people don't die in big winter storms like they did in the past, and beyond freak outbreaks like April 27th and the Joplin event, 100's of people don't die in severe weather anymore either. I don't blame the public for things they really shouldn't know. Would it be nice if mets were more appreciated? sure. But that is just part of the job.

And let us not get carried away, numerical models are amazing tools. They are, without a doubt, a nod to human ingenuity.

Meteorologists aren't "maligned" by the public, they are misunderstood. Trivialization of careers is simply something that will happen to all folks in poorly understood fields, especially sciences. While there certainly are some model hugging meteorologists these days with little to no ability beyond the models alone, much of the dislike and general lack of understanding of meteorology comes from public ignorance/misunderstanding, not model hugging meteorologists. People simply do not realize all the meteorological data they have available to them was created and disseminated by meteorologists. They take for granted 24/7 weather information which is often correct--information which wasn't even available 50+ years ago the way it is today. 100s of people don't die in big winter storms like they did in the past, and beyond freak outbreaks like April 27th and the Joplin event, 100's of people don't die in severe weather anymore either. I don't blame the public for things they really shouldn't know. Would it be nice if mets were more appreciated? sure. But that is just part of the job.

And let us not get carried away, numerical models are amazing tools. They are, without a doubt, a nod to human ingenuity.

I like!

3.54" of rain at CLE last night. This is the fourth rainiest day at CLE since the 50s. Number one is 4.59" on 9/7/1996, with 2 being just a hundredth more on 8/20/05 and 8/13/94.

In addition 2.5" fell in one hour. Downright tropical!

Some unique conditions, dense fog with temps in the mid 80s..but dropping, might hit the mid/upper 70s. Now under simultaneous heat and fog headlines, although the heat really isn't applicable imby.

WOW! That fog is crazy! Apparently they are also shutting down the beaches because the lifeguards can't see far enough..

If you guys get a chance checkout the chicago lake shore webcams...

http://www.mykpod.com/chicago.shtml

Here are some pics as well from the skycam of the fog rolling in off the lake...

Amazing combination of heat and humidity here today. Dewpoint hit 83 on my weather station. It's usually very comparable to surrounding readings, and today was the first time we broke the 80 degree dewpoint barrier since 2009. 83 seems a bit extreme, but considering this whole area is one huge corn field, and being less than a mile from the Rock River makes me think it may not have been too far off.

Here's a screen shot of my software that collects and uploads the weather station data....

post-613-0-33968600-1311134763.jpg

This is about the time in Jan (20th) where I'm starting to get sad thoughts that in another month trying to keep snow pack down here is tough and winter is going on its last legs the last 10 days of feb. March is so hit and miss filled with lots of 40's. At least the greatest fishing of the yr happens that month and there isn't much things better in life than ice fishing in those 40 and 50+ degree conditions.

Hello Central/Western posters:

I'm Ryan and I'll be moving in to Valparaiso University a month from today, and I wanted to introduce myself since I'll probably be crashing over here while I'm at school.

(Hoosier or whoever can feel free to move this if it's not in the right place, but you all don't seem to have a thread for pointless banter like we do in the Philly subforum so I'm guessing this is a good place?)

Archived