The Hudson Valley Thread

IrishRob17

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

moderate snow for the last 2 hours, little accm less than 1/2' majority of snow is very small "flakes" - graupel like and very wet. 21F

Heard from family on Staten Island, 5+ on the ground.

What type of snow structure are you guys seeing?.

You should get into the awesome snow growth region after 8pm or so huge dendrites incredible banding.

Same here. Been snowing little pingers for a few hours (though they're now starting to transition into real flakes) and very little accumulation so far.

See above post

Yeah every now and then some larger flakes appear and disappear, never more than 5% I think. Its a concern for large accums. I've had some good radar returns passing over me

See above post

RUC keeps the heavy banding largely south of us...

ruc_sl7_005l.gif

RUC has been off past 2-3 hours on LP placement and precip too far east and south

You should get into the awesome snow growth region after 8pm or so huge dendrites incredible banding.

See above post

See above post

RUC has been off past 2-3 hours on LP placement and precip too far east and south

Thanks for the insight!!! I am quietly hopeful that this will not disappoint once we get into the real show from 8-9pm onwards... I think POU could hit 18 if the bands set up..

Probably not as much as the snowicane in Feb, but i would take 18" of powder and drifting over 24" o heavy slop and power outages any day.

Thanks for the insight!!! I am quietly hopeful that this will not disappoint once we get into the real show from 8-9pm onwards... I think POU could hit 18 if the bands set up..

Probably not as much as the snowicane in Feb, but i would take 18" of powder and drifting over 24" o heavy slop and power outages any day.

Agree 100% on both counts. Thanks to Wx4cast for his insight and less powder>more wet snow.

Agree 100% on both counts. Thanks to Wx4cast for his insight and less powder>more wet snow.

Seconded (or I guess thirded at this point).

Thanks and you're all welcome. Enjoy the band when it rocks you. Nothing like 2-4 inch/per snowfall with the winds rippin' and whippin' too. Envy you buggers but my time will come. Remember: Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks and you're all welcome. Enjoy the band when it rocks you. Nothing like 2-4 inch/per snowfall with the winds rippin' and whippin' too. Envy you buggers but my time will come. Remember: Have fun and enjoy!

could an albany screw job be in the making lol? radar has backed off the approach of the precip and the latest guidance has gone significantly east. oh well at least I was prepared for this ha.

I expect it to make a renewed push up. They had snow in Delmar a half hour ago.

BGM radar shows better the snow in the western Cats and Poconos etc. ALB radar does a very poor job in that area maybe due to the Catskills peaks wrecking the radar range . Anyway I think the overall pivot nnw will keep up.

could an albany screw job be in the making lol? radar has backed off the approach of the precip and the latest guidance has gone significantly east. oh well at least I was prepared for this ha.

Snowing sideways right now. Wind howling. My weather station isn't working, but i'd guess 20mph sustained winds with gusts around 30. As nasty as I've seen in my 3 years in POU...During the Snowicane last year, we were in mostly rain out east here in Pleasant Valley.

I grew up in Buffalo, so it's nice to see some WNY wind and snow out this way.

I expect it to make a renewed push up. They had snow in Delmar a half hour ago.

BGM radar shows better the snow in the western Cats and Poconos etc. ALB radar does a very poor job in that area maybe due to the Catskills peaks wrecking the radar range . Anyway I think the overall pivot nnw will keep up.

I actually had a flurry here 30 minutes ago until the northwest edge dropped back off. Our only hope for getting in that band to our south is the RUC and thats not a good thing. I know the precip shield is going to push northwest again but i have a feeling this didnt pull toward the coast enough to hit us good. Not to be overly negative but I wouldn't be suprised if we downgrade to advisories and end up with 6" or less.

I believe the 18Z NAM still has about .75" at KALB....

I actually had a flurry here 30 minutes ago until the northwest edge dropped back off. Our only hope for getting in that band to our south is the RUC and thats not a good thing. I know the precip shield is going to push northwest again but i have a feeling this didnt pull toward the coast enough to hit us good. Not to be overly negative but I wouldn't be suprised if we downgrade to advisories and end up with 6" or less.

Snowing sideways right now. Wind howling. My weather station isn't working, but i'd guess 20mph sustained winds with gusts around 30. As nasty as I've seen in my 3 years in POU...During the Snowicane last year, we were in mostly rain out east here in Pleasant Valley.

Here, between Hopewell Junction and Wappingers Falls, over the last 30 minutes, the snow has really started to increase in intensity, nice fat dendrites starting to show up, swirling in the wind... If this keeps up, then we could see some decent totals here.

Closing on 2" now I'd say, this stuff is blowing all over the place. It's light and dry :thumbsup: but the flakes are badly fractured and most are very small so it's not accumulating too well. The wind is easily sustained at near 20mph with branches cracking along the ridgetop above me. Very few uninjured flakes are making it down but the ones that are are just beautiful fluffy wonderfulness. I think the estimates of 18 or more may be too high due to this stuff being able to pack in much more densely thereby reducing accumulations. At least in my backyard...

Thanks :thumbsup: Hope it will shift a bit more to the north and give you a bit more. Could have some thundersnow with some of those bands.

5 pm Obs.

NYZ052-065-067-262300-

HUDSON VALLEY

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

NEWBURGH SNOW 19 18 93 NE14G25 29.60F VSB 1/2 WCI 6

MONTGOMERY LGT SNOW 22 18 85 NE16 29.59F VSB 1 WCI 8

POUGHKEEPSIE SNOW 20 16 84 N15G28 29.62F VSB 1/2 WCI 6

ALBANY FLURRIES 18 9 68 N16G25 29.78F WCI 3

$$

Hey guys. Down here in southern rockland county in Nanuet. It is coming down very hard now. 2 inches... I think

Thats a hopeful sign Jay, I was concerned since I don't recall have good snow totals with the snow structure I've had all day. Andy says not to worry so I won't :thumbsup:

What would cause the wet graupel type snow some of us have had all day? Warming in the upper layers?

Archived