Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
June part 2

Isopycnic

One more :weight_lift:

Mesoscale Discussion 1294< Previous MD mcd1294.gif MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1294 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1229 PM CDT SUN JUN 19 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...SC...CNTRL/SERN NC CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE VALID 191729Z - 191830Z A THREAT OF MULTICELLULAR CLUSTERS CAPABLE OF DMGG WINDS WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. THE AREA IS BEING MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WW. 17Z WV IMAGERY SHOWS WEAK UPPER RIDGING OVER NC/SC...THOUGH A LEADING VORTICITY MAXIMUM IS NOW PROGRESSING INTO ERN KY/TN...WHILE A SHORT WAVE TROUGH OVER THE MID MS VALLEY IS QUICKLY ADVANCING EWD...AND WILL PROVIDE SUBTLE FORCING FOR ASCENT LATER TODAY. MEANWHILE...VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A REMNANT OUTFLOW BOUNDARY FROM FAR SWRN NC SSEWD INTO CAE...THEN EWD TO NEAR ILM. THE OUTFLOW BOUNDARY WILL LIKELY SERVE AS AN INITIAL FOCUS FOR STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT...WHILE ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG A TEMPORARILY WEAKENING MCS THAT IS PROGRESSING INTO FAR WRN TN. CONVECTIVE DEBRIS FROM PREVIOUS CONVECTION APPEARS TO BE INITIALLY LIMITING DESTABILIZATION...BUT FARTHER SOUTH ACROSS SC MESOANALYSIS SHOWS A VERY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WITH MLCAPE VALUES AOA 2500 J/KG FROM GA INTO SC. GIVEN MODEST WLY FLOW...AS CONVECTION BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED...EWD PROGRESSING MULTICELLULAR CLUSTERS CAPABLE OF DMGG WINDS AND PERHAPS A TORNADO WILL BECOME POSSIBLE. ..HURLBUT.. 06/19/2011 ATTN...WFO...RAH...ILM...CHS...CAE...GSP...

This seals the deal... nothing here expected. Maybe tomorrow will be wetter here. Good luck SW NC

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Severe thunderstorm watch now up:

ww0512_radar.gif

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 512

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

225 PM EDT SUN JUN 19 2011

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

PARTS OF NORTHERN GEORGIA

MUCH OF SOUTHERN NORTH CAROLINA

MUCH OF NORTHERN AND WESTERN SOUTH CAROLINA

COASTAL WATERS

EFFECTIVE THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 225 PM UNTIL 800

PM EDT.

HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70

MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

DISCUSSION...THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN NUMBER AND

INTENSITY ACROSS THE WATCH AREA THRU THE AFTERNOON AS AIR MASS

BECOMES MDTLY UNSTABLE. INITIAL SEVERE STORMS WILL LIKELY BE ALONG

E/W BOUNDARY SC...HOWEVER ADDITIONAL SEVERE STORMS WILL DEVELOP EWD

ACROSS SRN APPALACHIANS AS STRONGER FLOW ASSOCIATED WITH MCV OH

VALLEY APPROACHES AREA. PRIMARY THREAT WILL BE DAMAGING WINDS AND

LARGE HAIL...HOWEVER BY LATER THIS AFTERNOON SUFFICIENT SHEAR FOR

SUPERCELLS AND POSSIBLE ISOLATED TORNADOES.

Another crazy day at GSP yesterday. I think that makes for 8 crazy days so far this year. lol. Ferril tho...420 SVRs issued this year, compared to 173 at this time last year.

post-866-0-99134800-1308498108.jpg

Geez... not to mention you guys at GSP have been ground zero for some of the damage (the most recent being this past Wednesday).

This next line of rain is really weakening as it passes over the mountains. Perhaps it will strengthen again once it reaches the sunnier skies of southern NC and into SC. I have barely seen the sun today and thus the instability is just not there for me right now.

Seems like a lot of the morning convection across Western North Carolina really killed the instability when the second line came through... however, its likely that the boundary that this MCC generated will push into SC and will strike the match for some more convection this afternoon. I'm working on a blog update and hope to have it up within the hour, as it looks like another pretty active afternoon.

Still looking anemic out there. I am fearing a bust.

I'm thinking the primary threat will be further into SC where more daytime heating (and less debris from the MCCs that moved through this morning) has allowed a good chunk of the reason to get into some really high CAPE (3000+ in spots per the RUC)

8yxjzo.png

I'm thinking the primary threat will be further into SC where more daytime heating (and less debris from the MCCs that moved through this morning) has allowed a good chunk of the reason to get into some really high CAPE (3000+ in spots per the RUC)

8yxjzo.png

Yeah that is pretty consistent with the current Mesoanalysis too which is of course RUC based.

SPC

Short wave upper ridging and convective debris clouds appear to have

inhibited more widespread coverage of storms across the ww

area...though a vorticity maximum observed on 20z WV imagery over northern Kentucky is

gradually progressing eastward...with favorable upper ascent just

beginning to glance the ww area. A remnant northwest-southeast oriented outflow

boundary remains over SC...while an additional outflow from a

decaying mesoscale convective system in western NC is surging southward to near Greer and eastward. Westerly

flow has gradually been increasing across the ww area...and should

support damaging winds and large hail in association with convection

given the presence of moderate instability.

Here are my thoughts on this afternoons severe weather threat... I still think the stage is set for convective activity as the outflow boundary from the MCC earlier has dropped into the very high CAPE environment of SC, and this should help convection to rapidly blossom over this state into the afternoon hours.

http://www.avlweatherblog.com/

Here is the outflow boundary I am alluding too.

4u79c8.png

SPC is optimistic for the Tornado threat in Tennessee.

An isolated strong to severe thunderstorm has developed upstream of ww 511 along the confluence of the MS/Ohio rivers. Although this has occurred

in the wake of a short wave trough over the central Ohio Valley...an apparent weak impulse may be tracking across the mid-MS/lower Ohio

Valley...supporting this renewed development. Additional towering cumulus remain noted eastward along outflow boundary extending along the Kentucky/Tennessee border. Given presence of strong instability S of the boundary and sufficient westerly middle-level flow for supercells

...a new ww or replacement of ww 511 may be needed soon.

Archived