• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June part 2

Isopycnic

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 500 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1105 AM EDT SAT JUN 18 2011. THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

PARTS OF NORTHERN GEORGIA

WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA

PARTS OF WESTERN SOUTH CAROLINA

MUCH OF EASTERN TENNESSEE

PARTS OF WESTERN VIRGINIA

EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1105 AM UNTIL 600 PM EDT. HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS. THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 70 STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 25 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE TO 50 MILES SOUTHEAST OF BRISTOL TENNESSEE. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU0).

DISCUSSION...WELL DEVELOPED SQUALL LINE EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY AS IT MOVES ACROSS THE WATCH AREA FROM W-E. AIR MASS IS HEATING RAPIDLY IN ADVANCE OF THE LINE WITH MLCAPES AOA 2000 J/KG AND LITTLE REMAINING CINH BY EARLY AFTERNOON. WITH 30-40KT OF MID LEVEL FLOW AND STEEP LAPSE RATES BOWING SEGMENTS WITHIN THE SQUALL LINE WILL ENHANCE WIND DAMAGE POTENTIAL.

ww0500_radar.gif

I'm keeping my eye out for the segment currently diving southeast through Rutherfordton and eventually Lawndale. That will likely end up being what affects areas further east along Cleveland, Gaston and Mecklenburg counties.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the edge of the system, just about to get hit. Wind has really started to pick up here at the house (30 mph). Sky has incredibly darkened, and there are small rumbles of thunder in the distance. I don't really want any damaging wind, but I'll take all the rain I can get.

Edit: Oh, and the temp has dropped significantly...almost 10 degrees even without the rain yet.

like clockwork with the trajectory of this one off the Mtns, its strengthening for the foothills, Upstate and piedmont of NC. Batten down the hatches again for over 60mph winds soon to hit. Its rocketing down the mtns , which so far this year has always been the hallmark of the high wind events so far for Rutherford, Cleveland and Gaston.

5-15 mins ahead of the main rain shield (that is just now getting to me) was HEAVY! No way to show wind speed but had to be over 45mph..

Sky was black as midnight as the system rolled over yellow top mountain in Rutherford County. Freaking Awesome!!

The rain is here now and the winds have died down a great deal!!

I could not even see yellow top which sits NNW of me! :)

like clockwork with the trajectory of this one off the Mtns, its strengthening for the foothills, Upstate and piedmont of NC. Batten down the hatches again for over 60mph winds soon to hit. Its rocketing down the mtns , which so far this year has always been the hallmark of the high wind events so far for Rutherford, Cleveland and Gaston.

GSP has even issued a Special Weather Statement for the Charlotte Metro--way in advance of the line...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC314 PM EDT SAT JUN 18 2011NCZ036-037-057-071-072-082-SCZ009-014-182115-IREDELL-DAVIE-ROWAN-MECKLENBURG-CABARRUS-UNION NC-YORK-CHESTER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STATESVILLE...MOCKSVILLE...SALISBURY...CHARLOTTE...CONCORD...MONROE...ROCK HILL...CHESTER314 PM EDT SAT JUN 18 2011...SEVERE STORMS WITH DAMAGING WINDS TO AFFECT THE I-77 CORRIDORBETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM...A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS...WITH A HISTORY OF PRODUCINGWIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS OF NORTHCAROLINA...WILL MOVE INTO THE INTERSTATE 77 CORRIDOR BETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM.THERE IS A HIGH LIKELYHOOD THAT DAMAGING WINDS WILL AFFECT AREASFROM STATESVILLE DOWN TO CHARLOTTE AND ROCK HILL DURING THIS TIME.BOATERS SHOULD HEAD TO SAFE HARBOR NOW! PEOPLE INVOLVED WITH OUTDOORACTIVITIES SHOULD PREPARE TO MOVE INDOORS SHORTLY AS THE LINE ISACCELERATING TO THE EAST...AND DAMAGING WINDS WILL DEVELOP EVENBEFORE MUCH THUNDER IS HEARD OR ANY RAIN FALLS.$$MCAVOY

Uncanny, it's almost a slingshot effect coming off the mountains.

Uncanny, it's almost a slingshot effect coming off the mountains.

these have all done this this season, thanks toa few factors. GSP is now mentioning how they've been gaining strength as well, this one looks pretty bad and intensifying so far. The outflow is almost here, so I'll be outside to see how windy it gets. Finally have one to arrive in the daylight hours here, most have been around midnight.

just had to share this. Went out to my road and looked nw toward Shelby...I watched teh clouds arrive and grow black immediately and starte the cam. Then the winds wer like a wave in the distance and then i heard a lot of metal and trees snapping. The wildest thing I ever heard, was trees snappin in the distance and draw closer. The winds at my house got to about 50 , and I have a huge maple branch down. Rain not here yet. Amazing to watch it come in.

... A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 400 PM EDT

for Lincoln... Gaston... Cleveland... Catawba and Alexander counties...

At 326 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar continued to

indicate a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing quarter

size hail... and destructive winds in excess of 70 mph. These storms

were located along a line extending from 3 miles north of

Taylorsville to 8 miles southwest of Boiling Springs NC... or along a

line extending from 3 miles north of Taylorsville to 10 miles

northwest of Gaffney... moving east at 40 mph.

This storm is capable of producing wind speeds of 60 to 75 mph. These

winds can topple trees and power lines.

just had to share this. Went out to my road and looked nw toward Shelby...I watched teh clouds arrive and grow black immediately and starte the cam. Then the winds wer like a wave in the distance and then i heard a lot of metal and trees snapping. The wildest thing I ever heard, was trees snappin in the distance and draw closer. The winds at my house got to about 50 , and I have a huge maple branch down. Rain not here yet. Amazing to watch it come in.

Sounds interesting over there Robert. I'll be up next sometime soon. I can already begin to see the clouds build higher and becoming progressively darker.

Archived