Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every mile the track forecast moves west increases the chance that I'll be there. S FL would have been difficult to pull of from OK, but the Gulf Coast will be much more manageable. I expect Isaac to be very chaseable as hurricanes go. Moving fairly perpendicular to the coast upon landfall into an area with lots of tourism (good structures/shelter), quite possibly​ strengthening all the way until landfall, something for which northern Gulf Coast hurricanes aren't exactly well known. Hopefully Isaac just cooperates with the given conditions.

Every mile the track forecast moves west increases the chance that I'll be there. S FL would have been difficult to pull of from OK, but the Gulf Coast will be much more manageable. I expect Isaac to be very chaseable as hurricanes go. Moving fairly perpendicular to the coast upon landfall into an area with lots of tourism (good structures/shelter), quite possibly​ strengthening all the way until landfall, something for which northern Gulf Coast hurricanes aren't exactly well known. Hopefully Isaac just cooperates with the given conditions.

I would caution against any sort of thought that there is an increased chance of Isaac strengthening all the way to landfall. With the current drought over much of the US and the recent cooler/drier spell across the eastern US, I would think that the potential for dry, continental air getting drawn into Issac is higher than even a typical Gulf Coast landfall scenario.

Like Tony says, I would caution against any assumptions Re: strengthening up to landfall. Contrary to common mythology, hurricanes can and do strengthen up to landfall on the N Gulf Coast, but that tends to be the exception when it comes to majors.

Stepping back... Isaac is looking a bit more interesting today. I do like the W shift-- it makes the setup cleaner and less complicated.

While dry air entrainment is possible, this system will not be feeling the effects of a trough to its west (increasing shear) , which tends to make more north Gulf systems susceptible to the drier continental air.

Btw Josh, I tried to send you a pm but you are very popular an your inbox is full. :)

While dry air entrainment is possible, this system will not be feeling the effects of a trough to its west (increasing shear) , which tends to make more north Gulf systems susceptible to the drier continental air.

Btw Josh, I tried to send you a pm but you are very popular an your inbox is full. :)

This is a good point, and could be huge in the long run if this does make it to the central Gulf.

This is my point. I'm certainly not "assuming" Isaac will be strengthening until landfall, but that's what I'm willing to forecast right now, as foolish as it often is to issue forecasts so far in advance. Isaac shouldn't feel the effects of a nearby trough the way that many N Gulf Coast hurricanes do, and I expect to be conditions to be fairly conducive for steady strengthening for most of Isaac's time over the Gulf.

That said, Josh pointed out that hurricanes strengthening until landfall are the exception when it comes to majors, and that is very accurate. I don't expect Isaac to be a major though. I wouldn't rule out Cat 3 intensity at landfall if Hispanola isn't too rough on Isaac, but right now I'm leaning towards an intensifying high-end Cat 2 from Gulfport to Pensacola.

I wouldn't rule out Cat 3 intensity at landfall if Hispanola isn't too rough on Isaac, but right now I'm leaning towards an intensifying high-end Cat 2 from Gulfport to Pensacola.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. For some reason, this one isn't screaming "Epic, Career-Changing Chase" to me-- but rather, "Another N-Gulf Cat 2". That having been said, a hurricane is a hurricane. I love 'em all, and I would enjoy even that.

Hey, I got a lot of thrills out of that Cat 1 (possible Cat 2) a couple of weeks ago. :D

0z GFS

Marathon

Pensacola/Panama City

So, 24 hr later, we're still talking about the FL Panhandle. Consistency is cool, I guess.

Can't wait to see the Euro...

HPC:

...ISAAC EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO THE MID-SOUTH BY NEXT FRIDAY...

THE WESTERLIES ACROSS THE NORTHERN PACIFIC ARE NORTH OF WHAT IS

NORMAL FOR LATE AUGUST. THIS FORCES ENERGY TO POOL DOWNSTREAM,

ACROSS THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, WITH DOWNSTREAM TROUGHING EXPECTED

ACROSS THE NORTHEAST AND A WARM CORE RIDGE EXPECTED TO WAVER IN

POSITION AND STRENGTH BETWEEN THE CENTRAL ROCKIES AND CENTRAL

PLAINS. THE DETERMINISTIC AND ENSEMBLE MEAN GUIDANCE IS IN GOOD

AGREEMENT ON THESE GENERAL IDEAS. THE MODEL CHOICE THIS PERIOD

WAS PARTIALLY CONSTRAINED BY THE LATEST NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

(NHC) FORECAST FOR ISAAC, WHICH RESEMBLED A 00Z ECMWF/00Z GFS/00Z

UKMET COMPROMISE THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. A 00Z GFS/00Z ECMWF

COMPROMISE WAS USED THEREAFTER TO COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE 17Z

COORDINATION CALL FROM THURSDAY AND THE LATEST NHC TRACK FORECAST.

THE 06Z GFS SOLUTION HAD TO BE THROWN OUT BY DEFAULT. THIS LED TO

REASONABLE CONTINUITY WITH THE EARLY MORNING PRESSURES.

TROPICAL CYCLONE ISAAC

======================

THE 06Z GFS RECURVES THE SYSTEM QUICKER THROUGH THE MID-ATLANTIC

STATES THAN THE OTHER GUIDANCE, WHILE THE 00Z ECMWF AND ITS

ENSEMBLE MEAN SHOW STRONGER RIDGING ACROSS THE PLAINS/MIDWEST

WHICH KEEPS THE SYSTEM ON A SLOWER AND MORE WESTERLY TRAJECTORY.

THE 06Z GFS SOLUTION CANNOT BE RULED OUT AS THE PREFERRED MODEL

BLEND DROPS ENERGY FROM THE WESTERLIES AROUND THE NORTHWEST SIDE

OF ISAAC, CLOSING OFF A MID TO UPPER LEVEL LOW ACROSS TEXAS BY

NEXT FRIDAY. THIS DEVELOPMENT WOULD EFFECTIVELY SHIFT THE COL IN

THE STEERING PATTERN SO FAR SOUTH THAT ISAAC WOULD HAVE LITTLE

CHOICE BUT TO RECURVE AROUND THE PERIPHERY OF THE SUBTROPICAL

RIDGE, INITIALLY LURED BY A BREAK IN THE RIDGE ACROSS THE UPPER

OHIO VALLEY TUESDAY (SIMILAR TO DEBBY IN LATE JUNE BUT FARTHER TO

THE WEST). HEAVY CORE RAINFALL WITH AREAL AVERAGE AMOUNTS OF 8-9

INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS SOUTHERN FLORIDA/THE FLORIDA KEYS/THE

WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE WITH THE SYSTEM THROUGH WEDNESDAY

MORNING PER THE 09Z NHC TRACK, WITH LESSER AMOUNTS OF 3-5 INCHES

POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST AND MID-SOUTH BY NEXT FRIDAY NEAR

ITS TRACK, ITS DRAPING FRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST, AND

WITHIN ITS MAIN INFLOW BAND FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO ON ITS EASTERN

SIDE. LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 12-16 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BOTH WITHIN ITS

CENTRAL DENSE OVERCAST (CDO) AND WHERE ITS MAIN INFLOW BAND SETS

UP AND PIVOTS, WHICH COULD BE AS FAR EAST AS GEORGIA. THE CURRENT

SIZE AND FORECAST TRACK FOR ISAAC RESEMBLE HURRICANE DENNIS OF

2005. CENTRAL GEORGIA REMAINS IN AN EXCEPTIONAL, LONG-DURATION

DROUGHT SO THEY COULD USE THE RAINFALL. NORTHEAST FLORIDA AND

SOUTHERN GEORGIA WERE SATURATED FROM BERYL AND DEBBY AS WELL AS

SYNOPTICALLY-DRIVEN RAINFALL EVENTS DURING THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS,

SO THE RAIN WOULD BE PROBLEMATIC IN THAT AREA.

Good news/bad news short term, vis imagery and recon does suggest this will catch the Southern peninsula of Haiti, but I think it misses the worst of Haiti, and with improved recon reports, and sweet looking outflow developing, may be near a minimal cane passing Haiti, and if it doesn't hit too much of Florida, should be entering the Gulf. and if it doesn't get too much of Cuba, should be a near hurricane strength entering the Gulf.

6Z GFS looks to keep it too close to the Florida peninsula for max strengthening on the way to the Panhandle.

Edit for horribly constructed sentence...

At this point, the situation is increasingly becoming a war between SE FL (increasingly the upper Keys/Miami metro) and the FL Big Bend near Apalachicola-Panama City. Given the fact that the models have only recently picked up the trough split over the Midwest, I think further east shifts through 00Z tonight by days 3-5 look likely. The question then becomes whether 1) Shredderola and a large, ill-defined center would counteract the 72 hours of warm water/favorable anticyclonic winds over the Bahamas before SE FL or 2) the system would be just as good or better in SE FL...as a strengthening system coming from the SE...rather than in the Big Bend...where climatology shows systems recurving from the S tend to have more interaction with the cooler shelf waters and might not transfer winds to the surface efficiently. Ugh, choices, choices.

Archived