• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jonesing for a Chase

Wow-- that looks nothing like 24 hr ago. Hmmm.

I might also add that the 0300Z NHC track at 12 hours shows very little land interaction after Isaac skirts Shredderola...so the prospect that it will retain its tight inner core as it crosses and moves off extreme E Cuba is probable, thereby increasing the potential for a strong hurricane in the SE Gulf. Given the slow movement of the TC, it will have more time over the next six hours to reach hurricane intensity before spending a very brief hiatus over SW Shredderola...in the least mountainous part (Google Earth says the NHC track goes over an area just a few hundred feet above sea level in pockets, not everywhere).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might also add that the 0300Z NHC track at 12 hours shows very little land interaction after Isaac skirts Shredderola...so the prospect that it will retain its tight inner core as it crosses and moves off extreme E Cuba is probable, thereby increasing the potential for a strong hurricane in the SE Gulf. Given the slow movement of the TC, it will have more time over the next six hours to reach hurricane intensity before spending a very brief hiatus over SW Shredderola...in the least mountainous part (Google Earth says the NHC track goes over an area just a few hundred feet above sea level in pockets, not everywhere).

Yeah, it's looking quite a bit more interesting, all of a sudden, since it might not get totally destroyed by the Greater Antilles.

00Z GFS is rolling out...the trough is less progressive and allows Isaac to hit Islamorada, FL, by 2100Z Sunday afternoon...by 54 hours the system appears farther east in the Gulf than at 18Z and looks bound for a landfall closer to Apalachicola based upon the synoptic set-up.

gfsatlantic069500vortht.gif

By the way, I see Phil lurking...I have been waiting all day for his analysis tonight.

So Phil these ahe High pressure heights(?) and the info is telling the it's alittle stronger than anticipated correct?I am assuming that but are these that far off to affect model output?Then if it just got sampled yesterday and these are enough to matter why the delineation so quickly from 24hrs ago?

Thanks Phil so it was possibily enough to kick it W some,interesting.

As WxSouth mentioned, the dropsondes only give out values every 10m... so as long as the model is within +/- 10m its doing pretty well. In this case, the GFS is on the money.

So, then, the further-W solution seen in the 18Z might actually be reality-based? Curious now to see the 00Z. (Well... Of course I was already curious to see it...)

I think both the 18z and 0z are reasonable solution. In addition, both solutions put the storm over very little land, with the largest impact being the next 12 hours.

One thing that also needs to be mentioned is that the GFS continues to be way too fast. Unless the storm accelerates in the next 2 hours, it will be south of the 06z point by the 00z gfs but some margin. This slower initial track is important, because the weakness in the ridge is currently at its weakest. If the storm is further south when it builds back in, it could mean a more westward track in the 24-72 hour period.

I think both the 18z and 0z are reasonable solution. In addition, both solutions put the storm over very little land, with the largest impact being the next 12 hours.

One thing that also needs to be mentioned is that the GFS continues to be way too fast. Unless the storm accelerates in the next 2 hours, it will be south of the 06z point by the 00z gfs but some margin. This slower initial track is important, because the weakness in the ridge is currently at its weakest. If the storm is further south when it builds back in, it could mean a more westward track in the 24-72 hour period.

Thanks, Phil. So, bottom line: do you expect a decent (Cat-2+) Panhandle landfall?

The track looks pretty favorable for catching it if worry more about it slowing and weakening in the end but I suppose that's always a concern up in that area. At least the weakening part..

The track looks pretty favorable for catching it if worry more about it slowing and weakening in the end but I suppose that's always a concern up in that area. At least the weakening part..

The weakening I just expect. But the slowing would be weird for a Panhandle landfall. It's not climatologically normal-- cyclones hitting the Panhandle are usually accelerating-- sometimes very rapidly-- so I'm going to take this run as noise for now.

Yep... working on a map right now, so you will see soon enough :weight_lift:

Can't wait. :wub:

Just curious. Fly to a big city and rent a car, or a smaller city via the local big airline affilated puddle jumper airlines?

Because my late father was retired from American, when my grandmother died, I caught an American Eagle puddle jumper from Intercontinetal to DFW to connect to a flight to Boston. Morning of the day Hurricane Claudette made landfall,. Cloudy, breezy, some rain, but not turbulent, and halfway from IAH to DFW completely broke into blue skies. Closest I'll ever come to being a hurricane hunter.

Except maybe the time I had a Heinken high over Texas on a G-IV.

BTW, not as bad as I thought. You could get fairly close to the ocean. Assuming it is Santa Rosa County.

storm-surge-map.jpg

The weakening I just expect. But the slowing would be weird for a Panhandle landfall. It's not climatologically normal-- cyclones hitting the Panhandle are usually accelerating-- sometimes very rapidly-- so I'm going to take this run as noise for now.

I dunno.. the pattern supports it heavily. This is not your being yanked heavily by a trough like is the case of most speedy sys in the area. It might end up a little faster but I wouldn't bet on it. Not sure how much it'll matter... I haven't really taken a stab at intensity as I kinda like NHC for now and well it would just be a guess.

I dunno.. the pattern supports it heavily. This is not your being yanked heavily by a trough like is the case of most speedy sys in the area. It might end up a little faster but I wouldn't bet on it. Not sure how much it'll matter... I haven't really taken a stab at intensity as I kinda like NHC for now and well it would just be a guess.

Basically agreed on both fronts. Re: the motion... I'm not a climo slave, but I'd just like to see that stall scenario play out another couple of runs before worrying about it. Re: the intensity forecast... My feeling these days is that it is a complete, 100% crap shoot. There is essentially zero skill predicting it 3 days out. So my feeling is, if they show a hurricane in the Gulf, and there are no obviously negative factors, I just have to go for it.

Basically agreed on both fronts. Re: the motion... I'm not a climo slave, but I'd just like to see that stall scenario play out another couple of runs before worrying about it. Re: the intensity forecast... My feeling these days is that it is a complete, 100% crap shoot. There is essentially zero skill predicting it 3 days out. So my feeling is, if they show a hurricane in the Gulf, and there are no obviously negative factors, I just have to go for it.

Yeah Im not sure it's a game changer. It is kinda good it won't have to live up to a former cat 4 self or something. On other hands the calmer environ might be good. It will be interesting to watch. I've been researching tornadoes in Gulf systems this eve. ;)

To support your point, Ian: Elena 1985 was a NE-Gulf cyclone that did stall out and move very erratically. Easy 1950 was another.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to truly stall over water.. that seems like it might come further along if at all. I'd actually probably lean toward it not stalling but that's getting way out into range. But I thought the idea of an extra dry CONUS plus some issues you often see in that part of the GOM are at least a consideration, which I'm sure you're making -- random banter (wrong thread?), not suggestions.

If it looks like Isaac is a go for a U.S. Hurricane landfall, I'd say go for it. It can't be any worse than Don....right?

I'm slowly committing to a Panhandle Plan.

I'm not sold on the Keys potential-- nor am I really sold on the idea of a strong Panhandle landfall. But as I've said many times, I get such delight out of hurricanes of all categories-- and also, I've not chased on the FL Panhandle (or AL or MS) before, so it would be something new and interesting, even if it is only an 80-kt cyclone. And as much as I adore Mexico more than anywhere on earth when it comes to cyclones, the idea of chasing something in the USA for a change seems rather cozy and comfortable to me-- like the chaser's version of a warm bowl of mac-and-cheese. :D

Archived