Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fly into Pensacola & you will be within a little over 2 hrs from Slidell, LA to Mexico Beach, FL via I-10 or Hwy 98. You may not be able to traverse some of the roads if the storm gets to Cat.2 as they may start contra flow for evacuations. Most of this area closes bridge beach access when winds get to about 40 mph. Tons of hotels on Pcola beach, The Island in FWB, Destin, & PCB. Navarre is the coastal town in Santa Rosa County. No hotels on the beach there but, you could probably get a killer condo. (I would assume there is going to be a rash of cancellations) I lived in FWB for 6 years & still keep a boat there I visit the area 5-6X a year. Let me know if you need any info.

Fly into Pensacola & you will be within a little over 2 hrs from Slidell, LA to Mexico Beach, FL via I-10 or Hwy 98. You may not be able to traverse some of the roads if the storm gets to Cat.2 as they may start contra flow for evacuations. Most of this area closes bridge beach access when winds get to about 40 mph. Tons of hotels on Pcola beach, The Island in FWB, Destin, & PCB. Navarre is the coastal town in Santa Rosa County. No hotels on the beach there but, you could probably get a killer condo. (I would assume there is going to be a rash of cancellations) I lived in FWB for 6 years & still keep a boat there I visit the area 5-6X a year. Let me know if you need any info.

Thanks for the info! As a rule, I avoid flying into coastal airports-- I fly into an inland airport and then drive. It's safer this way-- removes one potential land mine: flight cancellations. If I go, I'll fly into Atlanta tomorrow afternoon-- which I believe will be early enough to get down there.

A condo may be a good option in places that don't have hotels. Anyhoo, thanks very much for the info-- always good to get the local knowledge.

Decisions decisions for Josh :lol:.. EURO went east

It's actually not a problem. The models are fairly well-clustered Re: landfall in a relatively small area (MS to FL Panhandle). As long as I know it's that general area, that's fine for now. The model shifts within that area are just static-- I doesn't affect what airport I fly into.

What I do feel sure about now is that the Keys scenario is going to bust-- as I had suspected.

Thanks for the info! As a rule, I avoid flying into coastal airports-- I fly into an inland airport and then drive. It's safer this way-- removes one potential land mine: flights cancellations. If I go, I'll fly into Atlanta tomorrow afternoon-- which I believe will be early enough to get down there.

A condo may be a good option in places that don't have hotels. Anyhoo, thanks very much for the info-- always good to get the local knowledge.

It's actually not a problem. The models are fairly well-clustered Re: landfall in a relatively small area (MS to FL Panhandle). As long as I know it's that general area, that's fine for now. The model shifts within that area are just static-- I doesn't affect what airport I fly into.

What I do feel sure about now is that the Keys scenario is going to bust-- as I had suspected.

Atlanta welcomes you. :)

It sucks that a storm will be coming within driving distance of my location and I will not be able to chase it. I'll catch the next one. :)

You can just go ahead and pull the trigger anytime Josh. You know you're going ;)

:D

Ha ha ha, you know me too well. Yep, I'm close to pulling the trigger-- in fact, I already have a flight and strategically positioned hotel reservattions. It's looking like a go. I'm very excited to be chasing again in the USA agent all these foreign chases.

I give anything to be in Key West right now. Perfect starter storm for me. :cry:

Irene was a pretty sweet starter storm (I don't count Edouard). The location made things difficult, I already hate the Outer Banks after one chase there. But it was great to get a feel for 'cane chasing with one that was a solid hurricane, but nothing extreme. Now I feel more ready for whatever Isaac decides to toss this way ;)

Irene was a pretty sweet starter storm (I don't count Edouard). The location made things difficult, I already hate the Outer Banks after one chase there. But it was great to get a feel for 'cane chasing with one that was a solid hurricane, but nothing extreme. Now I feel more ready for whatever Isaac decides to toss this way ;)

Totally agreed with you about E NC. It's just not good chase turf-- and, to add to that, the area rarely gets really good, really tropical hurricanes. Irene was a good example-- I was really not happy with that one. It was so blah.

Totally agreed with you about E NC. It's just not good chase turf-- and, to add to that, the area rarely gets really good, really tropical hurricanes. Irene was a good example-- I was really not happy with that one. It was so blah.

Yeah, we were fortunate enough that we positioned near Beaufort, so we at least got to experience some 100+ mph winds at times. That was the only area, to my knowledge, that even recorded any winds that high. I was pretty disappointed Irene didn't manage to strengthen more though.

4aba1055-adc4-453a-8447-0bcc0728bd0f.gif

GFS says you'll be in MSY while this is stalled out and causing major flooding.

The good news I have for Josh is that the LLC is very much intact and already looks to be in the re-organizational process.

Chances of this getting into the GOM with perfect UL winds and a decent inner core are steadily increasing

Yeah, we were fortunate enough that we positioned near Beaufort, so we at least got to experience some 100+ mph winds at times. That was the only area, to my knowledge, that even recorded any winds that high. I was pretty disappointed Irene didn't manage to strengthen more though.

Honestly, I really don't think Beaufort or my location (to the E, in Marshallberg-- also in that map's orange zone) had winds anywhere near 100 mph. I'd say we had winds around 50 kt with gusts to minimal hurricane force-- that would be my best guess. That storm really lacked punch-- it was unraveling, high-latitude crap. Just wait until you're in a real hurricane-- you'll be like, "Oh, wow! Totally different!" You get in the core of even a strengthening Cat 2, and it has real bite-- a real edge to it. Maybe you'll get a taste of that soon. ;)

GFS says you'll be in MSY while this is stalled out and causing major flooding.

The good news I have for Josh is that the LLC is very much intact and already looks to be in the re-organizational process.

Chances of this getting into the GOM with perfect UL winds and a decent inner core are steadily increasing

Hey, thanks, man. Yeah, I'm definitely getting some tingles at the idea of a solid Gulf cyclone. It's been a while...

Good luck Josh... hopefully by Monday you will have a firm place to chase from now that teh 18z GFS has went west into LA/MS border area

Hey, thanks, Yoda. :)

By the way... Cory has re-engineered the BASTARD. I received the new-and-improved one (2.0) this week, and you can see it here.

So, what's improved? The mast is much taller. Now, actually, Cory didn't make it quite this tall-- but I integrated a section of the original version (1.0) into the new one, so what you see here is an augmented version-- very tall! :) Cory and I decided that I'll take it out on some desert roads this weekend-- to see if I can go sufficient speeds without it falling off. We're honestly not sure. :D

No, it's still not 10 m, but this much taller mast should really help me sample more representative winds than I was able to do with the previous BASTARD 1.0.

That looks huge on that car. :lol: I do hope you get to test it out before sending it out into Isaac. I'm a little nervous since the horizontal force testing on the 36" mast was getting within 5 pounds of the limit predicted by the equation. We may be pushing it with the 42" but if it holds up in a desert road test drive, go for it.

That looks huge on that car. :lol: I do hope you get to test it out before sending it out into Isaac. I'm a little nervous since the horizontal force testing on the 36" mast was getting within 5 pounds of the limit predicted by the equation. We may be pushing it with the 42" but if it holds up in a desert road test drive, go for it.

It's probably pushing it to try and make it work. I'll probably chop it down to the intended size. IT was just tempting, since I have the pieces here to make it even longer. :sun:

Honestly, I really don't think Beaufort or my location (to the E, in Marshallberg-- also in that map's orange zone) had winds anywhere near 100 mph. I'd say we had winds around 50 kt with gusts to minimal hurricane force-- that would be my best guess. That storm really lacked punch-- it was unraveling, high-latitude crap. Just wait until you're in a real hurricane-- you'll be like, "Oh, wow! Totally different!" You get in the core of even a strengthening Cat 2, and it has real bite-- a real edge to it. Maybe you'll get a taste of that soon. ;)

Yeah my mom is still in Beaufort. She slept through most of it and was so unimpressed she put her bird feeders back out during the eye. Granted when you've lived on the NC coast for 60 years you have seen more hurricanes than most. Not all NC hurricanes are unraveling.

Yeah my mom is still in Beaufort. She slept through most of it and was so unimpressed she put her bird feeders back out during the eye. Granted when you've lived on the NC coast for 60 years you have seen more hurricanes than most.

:lmao:

Not all NC hurricanes are unraveling.

Sorry, I didn't mean to diss NC 'canes-- there are certainly some important exceptions, like Hazel 1954 (although there are indications that, despite its ferocity, it was not 100% tropical when it raked NC).

Have fun man, I wish I could go. My friend has a place in Mobile but, school starts this week. Dang it, why couldn't it come on a weekend or a week earlier. haha. Someday i'll get to chase one of the bad boys.

Awwww, I remember being in school and feeling that way. This is one of the advantages of being an adult, I guess-- the freedom. Well, don't worry-- I'm sure you'll chase soon enough. :hug:

Awwww, I remember being in school and feeling that way. This is one of the advantages of being an adult, I guess-- the freedom. Well, don't worry-- I'm sure you'll chase soon enough. :hug:

Ya hopefully next year. I'll only have a few classes to finish up. Will then just need a good storm. haha

Archived