• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Jonesing for a Chase

Yeah, those big, solid chain hotels are good for riding out cyclones in exposed places, so that could be an option.

Thanks for checking! If she's not cool with it, I totally understand. Honestly, I wouldn't be! :P

You're welcome!

I got her phone # and email addy from another cousin and left voicemail and an email. Awaiting a reply. Of course, given all the elements of the whole scenario, a chase along the Gulf Coast would be a whole lot more interesting. Just stay away from Orange Beach AL, please. I and family spend every January there, LOL.

Yeah, it won't be any surprise at all if she's not cool with it, even though she's one of these people you never ever see without a smile on her face. We'll see. I tried to explain the situation to her as best as possible, and explained how this is a no-pressure suggestion.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is validity to this. Weaker storms fare better than stronger storms with issues like Hispaniola.

A study of the effects of passage over Luzon by WPAC storms in fact did find that weaker less organized storms were affected less by the passage than the strong very organized ones. At the time is was attributed to the fact that the main inflow and strong circulation were in the lower levels and hence easily disrupted by the terrain than the looser storms which tended to still have a fairly strong mid level core and inflow.

Steve

I have a good feeling about the central/western Florida panhandle for Isaac. Assuming this pans out, Isaac will be my third TC chase (Edouard the lame, Irene). Looking forward to having a shot at a "real" hurricane intercept, hopefully with Isaac. Irene was a nice taste, it sure is different from storm chasing in the plains like I'm used to!

Have fun and be safe!

A study of the effects of passage over Luzon by WPAC storms in fact did find that weaker less organized storms were affected less by the passage than the strong very organized ones. At the time is was attributed to the fact that the main inflow and strong circulation were in the lower levels and hence easily disrupted by the terrain than the looser storms which tended to still have a fairly strong mid level core and inflow.

Steve

Ah, cool-- so I wasn't totally talking nonsense. :D

Gonna be in Vancouver,Washington.

OK. :(

Reply received. "good to hear from you....I live in a tiny duplex with a marvelous man and 2 cats ,,,no room for guests ..."

Plus, she said they evac'ed for one storm and it was a nasty experience, so they would ride it out rather than evac.

Makes sense. A big hotel is preferable anyway!

About the same. Ends up moving a bit more to the W as it approaches the panhandle before leveling out and heading N into Apalachicola.

The core clears the coast a good bit quicker over s fl.. considerably better looking sys.

Well, hopefully not. I'd really like to see it get further from the Peninsula. As long as it's so close and moving parallel to it, it's a sh*tty, messy setup.

Agreed and I'm more or less talking about a more westward shift, say Louisiana. Won't take much for this to move further towards Panama City/Pensacola from a modeling standpoint with the GFS.

Archived