• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

First time I remember since I started paying attention to 94L/Tropical Depression 9 that the op GFS wasn't South and West of most of its ensemble members.

Using 996 mb or stronger as a discriminator- lots of 996 mb or stronger storms on the ensembles, and they are distributed both sides of the op GFS track, if anything, most of them could be a little bit West of the op GFS.

As mentioned above, I believe best Florida chase potential is TPA and South and PFN and West. Not too far West, ie, Louisiana, but I've been to the beach at Biloxi. Surge prone, obviously, but good roads. And the guy who chased and got a car floating into the lobby of the hotel during Katrina, well, I prefer the Charley videos, more of a wind than a surge guy, but the floating cars was pretty cool.

post-138-0-23349200-1345571649_thumb.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida has better near shore roads not in the immediate surge/drowning zone.

BTW, if Euro is up towards Florida Big Bend, well, forgive me for invoking Joe Bastardi, but back in the AccuWx days, he'd say storms approaching the Big Bend from the South or Southwest would produce Easterly winds which would tend to push water away from shore and upwell cooler water, limiting max potential instensity.

Looking at AccuWx PPV 6 hour time steps, Euro isn't far from being a good thing, moving almost due North, a tad farther West and it would be Panama City Beach. Anything from Panama City Westward seems to usually work out for good storms.

We are talking 9 1/2 days away...

Yeah, the FL Panhandle is in some ways more desirable than the W coast, largely because the angle of approach would be cleaner.

well that makes this naples boy tingly as all get out. my backyars is nearly the naples airport which is a tropical storm evac area. my pregnant wife not happy..maybe i send her to parents on ec and come chase from my homefront with you guys

Yeah, definitely you need to put her somewhere safe so you can enjoy the cyclone. :sun:

Josh - you need to get some more video of storm surge / large waves! :flood:

Obviously there are some other considerations, such as where you are - you might not want to be on the coast in Flamingo, FL where you have no higher ground to go to - and it's also difficult to film the sea during a nighttime chase. But still.

It's funny you say that because I decided to place more of a priority on that this year. Wind footage will always be the number-one thing for me, but when possible, I do want to try to get some more beachfront shots.

First time I remember since I started paying attention to 94L/Tropical Depression 9 that the op GFS wasn't South and West of most of its ensemble members.

Using 996 mb or stronger as a discriminator- lots of 996 mb or stronger storms on the ensembles, and they are distributed both sides of the op GFS track, if anything, most of them could be a little bit West of the op GFS.

As mentioned above, I believe best Florida chase potential is TPA and South and PFN and West. Not too far West, ie, Louisiana, but I've been to the beach at Biloxi. Surge prone, obviously, but good roads. And the guy who chased and got a car floating into the lobby of the hotel during Katrina, well, I prefer the Charley videos, more of a wind than a surge guy, but the floating cars was pretty cool.

Nice clustering in the Gulf. Woo hoo!

I updated my outlook in post 880. ;)

Either way the SoCal fella has shown no ability to deal with Southern women that happen to hold a badge. Better that we don't revisit that sad state of events.

The problem was that they started the conversation with hostility, rather than the spirit of cooperation I was trying to foster. <_<

Anyhoo...

I'm liking this latest run, obviously. I like the hearty cyclone and the clean angle of approach. I just hope it stays the f*ck away from New Orleans-- as much as I wubz hurricanes, I would hate that.

OK, I'm not gonna pretend: colliding with Shredderola majorly sucks for a hurricane. It can even be fatal. But it's not an automatic death sentence.

Here are post-1950 examples of cyclones that 1) passed over Shredderola and 2) went on to hit the USA as major 'canes. (Beulah 1967 just barely scraped the S coast, but technically, it did landfall.)

These heartwarmin' tales o' recovery can give us the strength to get through Isaac's upcoming collision with that wicked, hideous landmass:

post-19-0-97919200-1345615899_thumb.gif

post-19-0-81102600-1345615896_thumb.gif

post-19-0-87810200-1345615897_thumb.gif

post-19-0-08857200-1345615899_thumb.gif

post-19-0-01007800-1345615901_thumb.gif

Archived