• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

But there;s nothing quite like Yucatan 'canes at peak season when they come together.

I bought a ticket that is fully refundable within 24 hr-- for a flight that leaves at 5 am L.A. time. So I can sit back and wait for two more advisories before deciding. I'm tending toward not going, but now I have the option to go if it pulls a dmax nutty.

That's probably the best call at this point. Did you book the flight to CUN or BZE?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's probably the best call at this point. Did you book the flight to CUN or BZE?

CUN. Except for one, all of my advisors are firm on this being a MX landfall-- and the one who's not is trending in that direction. I figured I can always cross the border-- pain in the azz though it is-- and if it has a large eye and crosses right at the border-- say, at Corozal, BZ, or Chetumal, MX-- then I'll be on the sexy side.

The 2 more advisories to pull the trigger?

I did say, it wasn't my time or money we're talking about. I'd probably be more cautious if it was...

I can't go after everything that could conceivably be a Cat 3. I'm pushing it as far as is reasonable. Every other chaser has totally given up on this and I'm still keeping the faith. I can't be stupid about it.

chetumal ftw?

strengthening cat 1 at landfall (my guess) wouldn't be the worst storm to chase. too bad the yucatan will f it up...

I was gonna hop on a 5 am PDT flight to CUN, but Scott and I talked and feel the current situation just doesn't justify it. Yes, it's looking much, much better, but 1) it doesn't seem to be pulling RI (at least not yet), 2) the latest guidance suggests even faster motion toward the coast, allowing less time to strengthen, and 3) this is looking to be a middle-of-the-night landfall. As awesome as Jova was last year-- it was the best footage I ever got, and it was at night-- Scott and I agreed it doesn't make sense to fly to the Yucatan for a nighttime Cat 1.

Backup plan: if things suddenly change, I can catch a fight later in the morning-- so I can still change my mind.

This thing has not cooperated one bit and probably will continue that. Not that what I say means anything but I'd let this one go for now based upon what you said about landfall timing and that is will be a meager Cat 1. The logistics you mention in the travel route add to it. I know it is troubling to deny the urge to go chase but you have to believe that this will NOT be your one and only shot this season. A better and more structured one will come.

I'm glad the name Gordon is being used on a fish/Azores deal. I just wasn't enthused about chasing a Gordon-- just didn't feel right. Kinda nerdy.

Helene, Isaac, and Joyce are all great, and I'm hoping one of those names might appear on my portfolio within the next thirty days.

P.S. Ernie was OK-- I don't mind having that name on my portfolio.

Oh, here is my portfolio since 2005:

http://icyclone.com/chases/ B)

I have to add Ernie this weekend. :wub:

Josh,

I just spent about an hour on your website reading all about your previous chases. Thank you for what you do. It sounds as if you've been in some fairly hairy situations over the years. Would you say that Wilma was the scariest cyclone that you've chased?

Josh,

I just spent about an hour on your website reading all about your previous chases. Thank you for what you do. It sounds as if you've been in some fairly hairy situations over the years. Would you say that Wilma was the scariest cyclone that you've chased?

Thanks so much for looking at my site! Those chase accounts took some work to put together, so it's always awesome to know someone's reading them. :)

I would say Wilma was one of the scariest-- the way the storm surge suddenly rose up and surrounded us during the backside. Probably the scariest was Dean: when it became a Cat 5 and was headed right for my location with winds of 150 kt, I started to feel a little spooked. (Actually, not a little-- a lot. :D) At the last second, it wobbled N and the S eyewall missed Downtown Chetumal (where I was) by a couple of miles-- but I'll never forget how uneasy I started to feel when it looked to be an imminent direct hit. (That city, by the way, was completely flattened by another Cat 5 in 1955, so I think the history was echoing in my head.)

Thanks again for checking out my site. :hug:

Archived