Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Phil lurking. I'm expecting him to rain on the parade and talking about degeneration to an open wave at any moment. :D

Well the radar is telling the story. Yes its that patch of showers to the west of Barbados. My argument is that if Ernesto could organize some in the next 12-24 hours it would have a fighting chance in the Caribbean. This is not the start it needs.

359hc38.png

:lmao:

The Euro and Phils latest radar anlysis doesnt excite me. The NHC track and the bathwater of the western carribean does though. Like all tropical systems, time will tell.

Bingo. I'm feeling tugs from two different directions with this one.

Well the radar is telling the story. Yes its that patch of showers to the west of Barbados. My argument is that if Ernesto could organize some in the next 12-24 hours it would have a fighting chance in the Caribbean. This is not the start it needs.

post-19-0-63168100-1343977534_thumb.jpg

I hope Adam doesn't get mad if I mention the Canadian solution of a Beaumont/Lake Charles 970s mb hit, would keep Galveston on the weak side, water my lawn, and provide Scott with a reasonably short drive after picking up Josh at IAH for a chase.

I know Canadian ensembles and NAM solutions are strictly forbidden. But this is a chase thread, and Josh isn't already on his way to the airport.

You can take FM 1960 from IAH way far East, almost halfway to Beaumont, and avoid I-10 for a good ways...

post-138-0-80180200-1343995932_thumb.gif

Looking at the morning satellite imagery of Ernesto and wondering if it's going to pull through, I feel like I'm in the waiting room of a very sick relative in the ICU.

I wonder what odds the pro-mets would give Ernesto to regenerate further West, where SHIPs is all excited, if it does open into a wave.

Claudette 2003 came awfully close to opening into a wave in the Caribbean (may have, actually) and still rained on my lawn

ERNESTO IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST OR 275 DEGREES AT 18 KNOTS

EMBEDDED WITHIN A FAST EASTERLY FLOW SOUTH OF THE SUBTROPICAL

RIDGE. THIS STEERING PATTERN SHOULD KEEP THE CYCLONE ON A GENERAL

WESTWARD TRACK FOR THE NEXT 2 TO 3 DAYS. BY THE TIME ERNESTO

REACHES THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN...THE STEERING FLOW IS EXPECTED TO

WEAKEN AND ERNESTO IS FORECAST TO SLOW DOWN. THE COMBINATION OF LOW

SHEAR AND HIGH UPPER-OCEAN HEAT CONTENT IN THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN

SEA WOULD FAVOR SOME INTENSIFICATION...AND ERNESTO IS FORECAST TO

BECOME A HURRICANE IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. THE OFFICIAL

FORECAST FOLLOWS THE INTENSITY CONSENSUS...BUT ONE SHOULD NOTE THAT

BOTH THE SHIPS AND LGEM INTENSITY MODELS ARE FORECASTING A STRONGER

HURRICANE.

MOST OF THE TRACK GUIDANCE IS IN PRETTY GOOD AGREEMENT THAT ERNESTO

WILL BE RACING WESTWARD ACROSS THE EASTERN AND CENTRAL CARIBBEAN

DURING THE NEXT 2 TO 3 DAYS. AFTER THAT...TRACK MODELS DIVERGE

CONSIDERABLY AND SOME MODELS KEEP ERNESTO ON A MORE WESTWARD

TRACK...WHILE ANOTHER GROUP TURN THE CYCLONE MORE TO THE

NORTHWEST...DEPENDING UPON HOW THE MODELS DEPICT THE STRENGTH OF

RIDGE TO THE NORTH. NEVERTHELESS...ALL INDICATIONS ARE THAT ERNESTO

WILL BE MOVING ACROSS THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA IN 4 TO 5

DAYS.

72H 06/1200Z 17.0N 80.0W 65 KT 75 MPH

96H 07/1200Z 18.5N 83.5W 75 KT 85 MPH

120H 08/1200Z 20.5N 87.0W 80 KT 90 MPH

Phil thinks I've lost my mind and all credibility in even suggesting after the upgrade that the HWRF is not doing all that bad this season, but I digress...

Not crazy... but after its poor performance in previous years I'm still very skeptical until I start to see some concrete results. The solutions its been putting out so far have been pretty reasonable, but it will go down as a poor forecast if Ernesto degenerates.

CMC and GFDL have had pretty egregious poleward biases in previous years. Not surprising to see that at least the former has turned around to the Yucatan/MX position.

The Canadian isn't a complete bummer. yes, its the Canadian, so it isn't posted in the Ernesto thread.

post-138-0-11401500-1344021934_thumb.gif

They nudged it W a tad, but the Discussion makes a good point: the Euro and the GFS only keep it so far S because they keep the system so weak. If it's a worthy system, it won't follow that deep-S track.

Disco almost drips with Blake wanting to go with the GFS/Euro idea which might be better for you. Otherwise if the other models are correct in the longer range track there is a higher likelihood it misses the YP.

Archived