• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jonesing for a Chase

Cool to see this scorecard. I'm glad you were able to chase Jova since that made up for the otherwise mediocre crap you encountered.

For Don you should have included "landfall circulation only detectable by clear-air mode radar and pressure changes of 4 millibars".

:lol:

The craptastic-ness of Don was truly novel. It was borderline bizarre.

P.S. Thanks. :) Yeah, Jova saved 2011. :wub:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

The craptastic-ness of Don was truly novel. It was borderline bizarre.

P.S. Thanks. :) Yeah, Jova saved 2011. :wub:

Josh, I was curious as to how you would handle a double-trouble chase scenario.

Hurricane "Alberto" is a Cat-3 headed for Texas...

track.gif

...the same day that Cat-4 Hurricane "Beryl" is headed for Florida.

track.gif

What do you do? :huh:

Josh, I was curious as to how you would handle a double-trouble chase scenario.

Hurricane "Alberto" is a Cat-3 headed for Texas...

...the same day that Cat-4 Hurricane "Beryl" is headed for Florida.

What do you do? :huh:

Wow-- that would be crazy! I don't think it would be reasonable to try to chase both, so I'd probably pick Beryl, since it's stronger.

It would suck to have to choose between two majors after such a long (6-year) drought for the USA.

Wow-- that would be crazy! I don't think it would be reasonable to try to chase both, so I'd probably pick Beryl, since it's stronger.

It would suck to have to choose between two majors after such a long (6-year) drought for the USA.

The GOM storm seemed to fizzle prior to landfall, so FL would be the hindsight choice? I would imagine you would choose the Carib/gulf one 8 out of 10 times.

The GOM storm seemed to fizzle prior to landfall, so FL would be the hindsight choice? I would imagine you would choose the Carib/gulf one 8 out of 10 times.

W-moving Gulf storms don't have that problem as much. I would choose the FL 'cane just because it's stronger leading up to landfall. And all things being equal, I wouldn't necessarily choose a Gulf storm over a W-moving storm approaching the E coast of FL, as the latter can be extremely severe (a la Miami 1926, Fort Lauderdale 1947, Andrew 1992, etc.).

W-moving Gulf storms don't have that problem as much. I would choose the FL 'cane just because it's stronger leading up to landfall. And all things being equal, I wouldn't necessarily choose a Gulf storm over a W-moving storm approaching the E coast of FL, as the latter can be extremely severe (a la Miami 1926, Fort Lauderdale 1947, Andrew 1992, etc.).

Better near ocean road access would seem to make Florida the preferable place, everything else equal.

• 6 months later...

Slight tingles-- the first of the season. This won't pan out, but it's exciting that we're now at the time of year when the models will begin flirting and teasing.

Can't wait to be in a good cyclone. It's been too long. Not since getting pounded by sexy Jova have I heard that beautiful shriek of violent hurricane winds. :wub:

post-19-0-19895100-1336870027_thumb.gif

It's 15 May... The EPAC season has started. It's game on. :wub:

Yeah, this is only the official start-- and there probably won't be any good chase specimens in either basin for a couple of months or more-- but it's just nice that the crappy half of the year has officially ended.

I'm hoping for something special this year-- a real gamechanger. More than the same old same old. Not that I don't love all of the other cyclones I've chased-- I love 'em all like children, each in its own, unique way-- but this year I want something a cut above.

My last 10 chases-- in 6 concentrated minutes:

And here's an old favorite:

Only one East Pacific hurricane on record has made landfall in May: Agatha in 1971.

track.gif

So we *could* be looking at quite an unusual event. If it were to somehow make landfall as a major, that would be unprecedented. Just thought I'd throw in some historical context here as this storm gets going.

Wasn't to far off....

023806W_sm.gif

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 21/0300Z 9.3N 99.6W 30 KT 35 MPH

12H 21/1200Z 9.5N 100.1W 35 KT 40 MPH

24H 22/0000Z 10.2N 100.8W 45 KT 50 MPH

36H 22/1200Z 11.0N 101.5W 55 KT 65 MPH

48H 23/0000Z 12.0N 102.3W 65 KT 75 MPH

72H 24/0000Z 13.5N 103.0W 80 KT 90 MPH

96H 25/0000Z 15.5N 102.5W 80 KT 90 MPH

120H 26/0000Z 17.5N 101.5W 80 KT 90 MPH

Ixtapa...that would be a good place... west of that is not that touristic, specially in Michoacan...

Yep.

And what's interesting-- and really weird-- is that the flight options from LAX to ZIH are actually better than the options from LAX to ACA, which are surprisingly crappy.

Definitely gettin' some tingles from this. I love the nice, clean angle of approach on the forecast track. That's pretty yummy.

Well... Bud looks like a flop.

On the bright side... My 20th college reunion is in Boston this weekend-- I'm leaving tomorrow night-- and I was dreading having to choose between a cyclone and a college reunion. So I guess I'm just grateful that I don't have to do that. :)

hey!!!! you're gonna be so close to me!!!!

Josh semi-OT, but if its U-Mass Boston, the last of my distant old country/spoke funny relatives (she was about 90 in the early 70s) lived in the public housing near the Columbia MTA station.

I know as an adrenaline addict, you live for the big cane, but I'd personally enjoy nothing more locally that for a nice 50 knot tropical storm to come visit me. Even a non-major hurricane is way too inconvenient.

Still hoping for a South Florida major chase this year. Daylight. Iniki (you don't like islands) and Charley are my favorite YouTube storms ever. Daytime landfall helps...

Well... Bud looks like a flop.

On the bright side... My 20th college reunion is in Boston this weekend-- I'm leaving tomorrow night-- and I was dreading having to choose between a cyclone and a college reunion. So I guess I'm just grateful that I don't have to do that. :)

Up here?? WOW!!!

hey!!!! you're gonna be so close to me!!!!

Me too!! Where's you gonna to be??

--Turtle

Up here?? WOW!!!

Me too!! Where's you gonna to be??

--Turtle

Hey, Eleanor!! :wub:

I'm actually in a dorm room on the Harvard campus in Cambridge as I type this. :) (Actually, we don't call 'em "dorms" in these parts-- we call 'em "houses". :D) It's so nice being back here. Cambridge and Boston are gorgeous-- I forgot how much I liked it here.

Archived